Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Petracca at Hawthorn wins a premiership
Petracca at Carlton destroys a culture.
Why you ask because Hawthorn build from the ground up and Petracca is like the cherry on top
Carlton have never built the foundation properly and Petracca just perpetuates our obsession with star players, quick fixes and sugar hits
Most of our core top tier players Cripps/Weitering/Walsh/Curnow/Mckay were all drafted and are the foundation of the team.

Why you ask because Hawthorn build from the ground up and Petracca is like the cherry on top
Carlton have never built the foundation properly and Petracca just perpetuates our obsession with star players, quick fixes and sugar hits
Absolutely!

Petracca is also appealing because he fits our system.

Harry is less effective because our system doesn’t maximise the talents of either he or Charlie.

The common refrain on here for a fair while has been that we need to change our system. I’m confident that if Petracca arrives, he leads the coaching staff to double down on our current system. More power and crash and bash, because that’s what he brings.

Better to keep Harry and make him more effective by fixing the system.

This is why you get him. He fits the system Vossy seemingly wants to use.

Thats why you move Harry.

Hawks have shown what some astute player trading and drafting for needs can produce.
Someone like the Wizard Watson through the draft and Leek Aleer from GWS would make a massive difference to our team dynamics without the need to sell the farm.
Aleer for an early 2nd
Future 1st plus a pick upgrade to Port for Houston
Take our 2024 1st to the draft, hoping for Berry

To me, it’s simple and effective if we can get Houston and Aleer to nominate us.

Trac is a game winning super star, he still wouldn’t fix what’s wrong with us and would set us back massively.
Personally I think it’s time for us to be bold & get a trade massively right or disastrously wrong - if u can turn Harry/Charlie into 2 very good players (young quick mid/forward & a key back) I think the sum total of 2 very good players outweighs 1 key forward.
If having 2 gun tall forwards was going to work for us - we would have seen it already.
Yes they have beat up on crap teams but it’s not like they are an unstoppable force most weeks - on paper they should be, but the reality is it hasn’t worked that way.

This.

I have actually liked our trading and drafting these last few years. I assumed the talk of Haynes was just media and Big Footy talk.
But alas it seems it could be true. If it is true, the person responsible has simply no idea about football. Haynes is no longer AFL standard. Not even close. See Marchbank 2024 version. Falls over and no strength to hold position.
And don’t give rubbish he will come cheap. He takes a list spot that we have been told is really tight.

Aleer for an early 2nd
Future 1st plus a pick upgrade to Port for Houston
Take our 2024 1st to the draft, hoping for Berry

To me, it’s simple and effective if we can get Houston and Aleer to nominate us.
Only issue is Port wants in on the 2024 draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People need to look at the Petracca situation differently.

Petracca is a top 5 player in the league for his role. But Mckay is currently a top 5 player for his role.

Yes Petracca is a higher rated player but it is moot when talking about roles.

No point trading for the missing role to then have a new missing role and on top of that lost salary cap and extra draft pick.

Stop with the I want business and show some restraint.

When was the last time a player for player trade was made where one of those players had no interest in leaving pre-trade period?

Judd is only one I can think of and we're not going to do that again.

If he truly wants out. 11 + F1 will do
And that is overs…

Hawks have shown what some astute player trading and drafting for needs can produce.
Someone like the Wizard Watson through the draft and Leek Aleer from GWS would make a massive difference to our team dynamics without the need to sell the farm.

I'd be cooling my jets a little on Hawthorn until at least next season.

We looked as good this time last year but let's see how they go with a harder draw and sides doing a little homework on them.

They may be great but a small sample size at the moment.

If Petracca = premierships, why have Melbourne only got 1 during his tenure? He's had Gawn, Viney, Oliver in the midfield with him, the best winger of the moment in Langdon, two AA quality backmen in May and Lever, distributors like Rivers and Salem, gun medium and small forward in Fritch and Pickett.
The only premiership was in a covid year when Jackson tore the game apart for a half. They haven't looked like it since Jackson left ... and he is about the closest thing to Harry they had.
On this rationale alone I am saying Harry is more important ;)
No way you give Harry up in any trade.

What if the system doesn’t work though, Brissy?
We are leaving that alone 😉- that’s a completely different argument.
Like it lump it we aren’t getting rid of him & he’s not going to change so we might as well work with it before we burn the best of our list- window with this list is 3yrs, Voss will be here for at least 2, might as well work with it and pray we get an assistant who can make some much needed “tweaks” & have Vossy believe it was his idea

This rebuild started in 2015 with the list basically stripped back to Docherty and Cripps.
If that’s not building the foundations from the ground up I’m not sure what is.

This list is now mature and almost ready to do the business but it lacks the most important piece in the modern game … the explosive goal kicking midfielder.

We may have the chance to snare one of the game’s absolute elite which could put us over the top.
We can add Aleer and Houston naturally to round out our defence.

We have enormous investment in 2 big forwards, I’m not sure we are getting absolute bang for our buck there or whether they can take us all the way.

Trade some excess for something essential, shuffle the magnets and bring home the bacon 🏆

To those that didn’t have either the time or ability to reply to this post with anything other than a red thumb, i ask you the one question that was the crux of the post.

Do you believe this group can win a premiership without beastmode Cripps leading the charge ?

If your answer is yes, I’d love you to explain how ?

If your answer is no, surely you must agree that we have 2/3 years to land a premiership and this now mature group has as yet failed to even reach top 4 status meaning more than likely, if nothing changes … nothing changes …

I dont think this roster can win a Premiership even with Cripps in Beast Mode. I dont think some of the players we wheel out week after week, season after season are going to get us there. Thats my honest assessment of our roster.

I have actually liked our trading and drafting these last few years. I assumed the talk of Haynes was just media and Big Footy talk.
But alas it seems it could be true. If it is true, the person responsible has simply no idea about football. Haynes is no longer AFL standard. Not even close. See Marchbank 2024 version. Falls over and no strength to hold position.
And don’t give rubbish he will come cheap. He takes a list spot that we have been told is really tight.
He's played 17+ matches for 10 consecutive years. He played 17 this season across AFL/VFL. He averaged 31 touches and 11 marks a game in the 9 VFL games he did play.

He'll be replacing Marchbank and Durdin as a backup defender. Only difference is he's actually likely to be fit if and when required. Worst case scenario, he sures up our VFL side for a season or two and helps develop our kids.

I dont think this roster can win a Premiership even with Cripps in Beast Mode. I dont think some of the players we wheel out week after week, season after season are going to get us there. Thats my honest assessment of our roster.

Agreed
It’s not bad … but not good enough atm.
We need to turbocharge it now … and we may have the chance …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back