Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think the whole story is b.s.

Obviously made its way through a source somehow but that may have been testing the waters to see whether a trade could eventuate. I’m sure there are agents / managers out there who do this type of thing to see how it plays out. Now that McKay said no, they will probably take a different route at a different club. I mean there is nothing to say he is interested in joining us or was planning on nominating us.

I would not be shocked if Melbourne agree to a trade, but only if he selects one of the clubs that they can get the best deal from. It’s all speculation though so who knows what will happen.
There's definitely a level of dissatisfaction at petraccas end and he is clearly keen to get out. Apart from his injury, how it was handled and how he was sent back on he is upset about how the club glossed over Oliver's issues and the drugs issues that it has had.

He has also no interest about joining a "lesser club" so that really only leaves us and the Pies and a stretch *.

There is no doubt in my mind that the media have made up the McKay swap story completely.

Really though we would have to be the front runners if it were to happen. All we need to do is put together a reasonable contingency offer (if we are interested ) and ensure that we gave the cap space available (back ended) and line up some heavy hitters to let him know what is available to him as a blues champion after footy has finished.

And then see how many bridges he is prepared to burn to get out of the place.

Trade Martin and Motlop to Freo for next year's first. They want Martin and always wanted Motlop. Both WA boys anyway.

Trade Carroll and our second to West Coast for their 2nd rounder.

Trade Owies to whoever it was that was chasing him for a second rounder. His value is higher this year.

Trade Cerra, our future first, and West Coast's 2nd to Melbourne for Petracca. Dees did court Cerra at one point.

Trade our first to Port for Houston.

Trade Freo's future first to GWS for Aleer.

Keep our second in case Ben slips past their and we can use it, or give it to Freo to get that deal across the line.

I reckon Cerra might be open to a trade. His soft tissue injuries haven't been managed well, and he's been forced to play at half-back to fit in our bulls. Also helps greatly with the cap.

Maintain all of our elites, and add Aleer, Houston and Petracca ... who wouldn't

Yes, I know our small forward stocks are reduced to Durds, Fantasia, Williams and Fog, but that's quite doable.

Last edited:

Crazy. Madness. Delusion.

Sell our future for a 29 year old broken footballer?

In 4 years time we can sit back and watch all the guns drafted with those picks...as per usual.

How about trying to function like a normal football club without this insane messiah complex and build a list of young talented footballers. Develop them into stars and achieve sustainable success. I for one don't want to be a basket case all over again because we got greedy and thought one shiny toy would be the answer to our perpetual problems.

All gun afl players come from the draft. All successful teams nail the draft and get role players around them. We don't need another superstar.

Paddy Dangerfield and Jezza Cameron say ‘hi’ … That’s Lachie Neale standing next to Tom Lynch in the background and if you look deeper again, you’ll see last year’s Norm Smith Medallist.

Trade Martin and Motlop to Freo for next year's first. They want Martin and always wanted Motlop. Both WA boys anyway.

Trade Owies to whoever it was that was chasing him for a second rounder. His value is higher this year.

Trade Cerra, our future first, and West.Coast's 2nd to Melbourne for Petracca. Dees did court Cerra at one point.

Keep our second in case Ben slips past their and we can use it, or give it to Freo to get that deal across the line.

I reckon Cerra might be open to a trade. His soft tissue injuries haven't been managed well, and he's been forced to play at half-back to fit in our bulls. Also helps greatly with the cap.

Maintain all of our elites, and add Aleer, Houston and Petracca ... who wouldn't

Yes, I know our small forward stocks are reduced to Durds, Fantasia, Williams and Fog, but that's quite doable.
Don’t rule out SOS and Ross getting in on the action.

Trade Cerra, our future first, and West.Coast's 2nd to Melbourne for Petracca. Dees did court Cerra at one point.

2 reasons why this won’t happen:
- even losing Cerra we won’t be able to keep under the salary cap
- there is no way we get Fremantle’s future first for Motlop and Martin.

There's definitely a level of dissatisfaction at petraccas end and he is clearly keen to get out. Apart from his injury, how it was handled and how he was sent back on he is upset about how the club glossed over Oliver's issues and the drugs issues that it has had.

He has also no interest about joining a "lesser club" so that really only leaves us and the Pies and a stretch *.

There is no doubt in my mind that the media have made up the McKay swap story completely.

Really though we would have to be the front runners if it were to happen. All we need to do is put together a reasonable contingency offer (if we are interested ) and ensure that we gave the cap space available (back ended) and line up some heavy hitters to let him know what is available to him as a blues champion after footy has finished.

And then see how many bridges he is prepared to burn to get out of the place.

I agree mostly. I just think that if he wanted to leave the club so badly, he would not care which Victorian club he is sent to. Probably should even consider going interstate if it is bad. He should choose a club that would be able to get the trade done but limiting to clubs with less trade capital makes a trade even less likely. I’d be looking at Richmond, Essendon and those with capital if that’s what he wants. If recent reports are accurate about him wanting to only play for a big club, with large crowd sizes, and wanting to further promote his brand, then I question how badly he wants to leave the club and more importantly if he is the right fit for our club.

Not Bad Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

2 reasons why this won’t happen:
- even losing Cerra we won’t be able to keep under the salary cap
- there is no way we get Fremantle’s future first for Motlop and Martin.

You saw where I said we could add our second if required?

Also, I said Cerra would help with the cap as he is on way more than any others raised for trade. More manoeuvring would have to be done.

Also, the reasons for the trades are valid.

It actually brings it all in within realms of possibility at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recent history is actually littered with examples of premierships being won by teams with star signings;

Geelong - Cameron. Dangerfield
Richmond - Lynch, Prestia
Melbourne - May, Lever

Can't be bothered going back any further. To suggest that it doesn't happen is just rubbish.
Most of these examples reinforce my arguement that star recruits work as the cherry on top, when everything else at your club is right.

The first example Geelong- Danger and Cameron came into a winning premiership culture

Lynch at Richmond came into a premiership side

Prestia, May and Lever are not quite in the Patracca, Danger, Cameron & would not cost as much

They all want to stay. It's a blessing and a curse. We have no room to meaningfully improve our list to take the final step.

Next year is the 10th season. Since we started to rebuild with this core group. We have definitely underperformed, or got certain aspects wrong. Our window is now small.

We're too nice. That's why no one wants to leave.

If we're fair dinkum about going for a flag, we need to be ruthless. If that means convincing key players to leave, then so be it.

All this nonsense about it breaking the fabric of the culture we're trying to build... look at what the Pies did to Treloar and Grundy... soon after they were premiers...

These blokes need to have the heat put on them. The club needs to make it known that the priority is to win a flag. No more mucking around.

Cripps cannot keep carrying this midfield. Cerra can't get on the park. Walsh's body hasn't been able to hold up and would be much better utilised on the outside imo. Kennedy's i50 kicking is dreadful. Hewett has played a fine support role. The only one with reliable i50 delivery is the guy who can't get out there. None of them consistently kick goals when primarily playing as a mid.

Petracca is a game changer, I won't blame the club if they take the opportunity to go all out to bring him in. Only untradeables for me are Weiters, Cripps, TDK and Charlie.

One caveat could be that if the Demons have resigned to the fact he wants to leave, their window is shut and the time to start refreshing their list is now. Then we might get away with trading him in for picks. The Cats did it for Cameron...

If that eventuates, we will need to get creative to free up the cap space.

Call me cynical, but the media pile-on on Petracca in the last 24 hours is designed to widen any cracks that might be there.

They think Petracca is very ripe for a 'tell all' to get the hell out of dodge.

Every single member of the media knows about the culture at Melbourne but knows they need a whistleblower.
It's so wrong. I feel very sorry for Christian.
I am worried about how what he has gone through may affect his on field performance in future.
Dees are way overdue for that whistle to blow.

Most of these examples reinforce my arguement that star recruits work as the cherry on top, when everything else at your club is right.

The first example Geelong- Danger and Cameron came into a winning premiership culture

Lynch at Richmond came into a premiership side

Prestia, May and Lever are not quite in the Patracca, Danger, Cameron & would not cost as much

ffs - this is us!!

I think people expect a perfect 23 - that doesn’t happen. Every 23 has weaker players. We are at the point where the cherry on top will get us a flag.

If we get Trac we have to be prepared to part with some players. For cap reasons and to facilitate the trade.

Cerra and a 1st is a good starting point.

Would probably need to move on one of Kennedy / Hewett for cap space and to bring in another pick.

Lose those two mids. Replace with Trac and back someone like Lord/Carrol/ Hollands brothers/ campo boys. To develop into mids.

If we get Trac we have to be prepared to part with some players. For cap reasons and to facilitate the trade.

Cerra and a 1st is a good starting point.

Would probably need to move on one of Kennedy / Hewett for cap space and to bring in another pick.

Lose those two mids. Replace with Trac and back someone like Lord/Carrol/ Hollands brothers/ campo boys. To develop into mids.
Yes, and I also think (IMO) that Petracca would need to take a significant pay cut as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back