Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

From Soapy. :arrowup:

The answer is contained in the quote.
Voss wants Houston.
Our coach.
How arrogant of Lloyd and Austin to say you'll get what we give you.
We know better.
Who is the triple premiership player and why did we employ him?
Do they think Vossy is only after sugar hits too?
Or does he know what it takes?
Did he just put up with the worst injury list ever seen on who's waTch and whose decisions?

How will we know if Voss is any good if don't get him the team he thinks he needs?
The next part of the,quote says they are open to anything that improves out options NOW.
Could it be any clearer?
One premium trade
One quality draft player
Campo 2
HAynes
Anything else is bonus.
Terrible take. No club should let someone whose job relies on short term success dictate recruitment strategy.

Houston is Teague now?
We know Houston is a quality player, and it's a different scenario.
If the rumours are true
We are getting just one top quality player in the draft.
Not 1 quality draft pick and one quality trade.
Is that the best possible move for us?

Who knows?

You'd think Houston and a draft pick or even 2 draft picks might be better, but again...it's all in Lloyd and Austin's hands isn't it.

Maybe it's an amazing move. Time will tell.
That wasn’t my intent. Just wanted to highlight that what players what in not always in the best interest of the list

I support the roles of each part of the machine until that support isn’t warranted anymore.

Fwiw, I advocate taking two top 15ish picks to the draft this year and trust that the LM crew will make the right picks. Who am I to say otherwise?

As Cal Twoomey says, there is always a future to work with…

From Soapy. :arrowup:

The answer is contained in the quote.
Voss wants Houston.
Our coach.
How arrogant of Lloyd and Austin to say you'll get what we give you.
We know better.
Who is the triple premiership player and why did we employ him?
Do they think Vossy is only after sugar hits too?
Or does he know what it takes?
Did he just put up with the worst injury list ever seen on who's waTch and whose decisions?

How will we know if Voss is any good if don't get him the team he thinks he needs?
The next part of the,quote says they are open to anything that improves out options NOW.
Could it be any clearer?
One premium trade
One quality draft player
Campo 2
HAynes
Anything else is bonus.

Just a reminder that Vossy getting what he wanted and asked for didn't end well in Brisbane.

He can tell the list management and footy department what he wants and what he needs but ultimately it's a team effort.

A coach will always look at the short-term solution.

We've become a club that has a continuous improvement philosophy from the way the club is run from top to bottom thanks to Sayers and especially Brian Cook.

Graham Wright is supposedly of the same overall philosophy.

The coach won't always get specifically (target wise) what they want.

But he asked for defender depth - we've addressed that with Haynes and potentially DBG

He's asked for two way runners - we're likely addressing that in the draft with our top pick(s) and Campos.

The rest is on the footy dept to address those wants with long-term needs and signs are strong v

Last edited:
It's such a difficult one to decide which option will be correct.

Two bites of the cherry in a consistent, even draft or go for the potential superstar at 3. Lalor and Draper do look impressive.

Tough call to make. High risk or play it safe.

Just an opinion but I think Smillie is that big point of difference if we trade up. Bull mid and measured 195.5cm at Combine. Good disposal, could play KP also.
Have watched him a bit. Beast. Kids an animal. Nice kid too. Dunno if he’s the type we need though if we’re in “win now” mode but could turn out to be anything

Midfield’s too slow and one-dimensional, in my opinion. Too many slow, contested ball-winners with average disposal.
We all know own midfield could use some speed, well the whole team really. But your initial point was that our midfield wouldn’t be able to get it into our forward line. That seems crazy to me based on what I saw us do all year.

It’s ok that we have differing points. You’d prefer an out and out mid who has speed. Perfectly fine. I’d prefer a medium forward/mid who potentially projects into a Dusty/Petracca/JDG type (and yes, that’s what many pundits have stated with Lalor (and yes I know not all players turn out like people think, even mids)).

I just feel adding speed doesn’t need to come from 1 top 3 pick. Would think if we are concerned with speed into the club, you’d want more than just 1 live pick this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's such a difficult one to decide which option will be correct.

Two bites of the cherry in a consistent, even draft or go for the potential superstar at 3. Lalor and Draper do look impressive.

Tough call to make. High risk or play it safe.

I don’t understand how taking a pick in the top 3 is considered high risk.
It’s actually the other way around and closer to a sure bet these days …

Terrible take. No club should let someone whose job relies on short term success dictate recruitment strategy.
💯

Austin shouldn’t have to change his years work just because Houston came a knocking 4 weeks ago after he decided he didn’t want to go to his “club of choice” Melbourne.

Let’s not kid ourselves, we were an afterthought for Houston.

As good as he is, I’m glad we have kept our eye on this years draft

We must think we can improve DGB. Pick 6 and 22 years old but so far hasn’t lived up to promise

For a KPD he is still young. I haven’t seen a lot of him in last 2 years but 195cm is right size. Always looked to me he needed a bit of muscle added

If he steps up adding he and Haynes for nothing to add to Weitering McGovern Young as our taller defenders we are in a good spot

We must think we can improve DGB. Pick 6 and 22 years old but so far hasn’t lived up to promise

For a KPD he is still young. I haven’t seen a lot of him in last 2 years but 195cm is right size. Always looked to me he needed a bit of muscle added

If he steps up adding he and Haynes for nothing to add to Weitering McGovern Young as our taller defenders we are in a good spot
Some players need a kick up the butt / wake up call to succeed. Maybe this is DGB’s. Hopefully anyways

He’s had some rotten luck with injury, and will just be naturally pushed out with Battle and Barrass coming in, and Frost staying. Reckon he’s the perfect example of a “low risk, high reward” pickup

He’d have to have more upside than S. Durdin so seems like a smart play by us. Interesting that we’ve been linked to both Hawks defenders on the outer (Phillips and DGB). Phillips would be the more ready to go option. DGB probably the more talented prospect.

Does DGB play with aggression and a bit of mongrel? I feel like this is super important for key defenders. We don’t want the Schache types who have talent but no intensity and mongrel.

I agree with you Soap. Kids 22 we all know big blokes take longer at either end of the ground. Free hit at the stumps and if it comes off will be a master stroke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back