Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbs was ranked number 1 by everybody. Selwood went at 7. This was not an example of poor decision making.

Yeah I think when assessing draft decisions you need to look back at how the players were rated. Sometimes it's just luck and every other club would have made the same call.

Dow over LDU and Cerra was very poor by us as all were rated similarly and we picked the fail.

McCartin over Petracca was shocking as most rated Trac 1 but the Saints went needs over best available.

Billings over Bont not so bad. Kelly and Billings were consensus 2 and 3 picks. Almost every club would have done the same. Just bad luck for Saints.

I'm surprised we aren't having more of a look at Tomlinson to be honest. Would be easy enough to get out of Melbourne and would be a great CHB for us.

I don't mind taking DGB as a rookie hit and see what he can do, but feel like Tomlinson would actually add to our defence.
If Tomlinson is playing for us at any point next year, we aren’t achieving anything

North also just can't keep picking elite mids and making others redundant, or they are just on a merry-go-round.

Phillips has already been pushed out of a regular game, Powell gets shunted into different roles. It may just suit them to get 2 players in other positions, rather than one "best available" at 2?

I believe Norths dream would be to get Houston for future 1st-which i think Port would accept. That pick could be swapped for *'s Pick 9 if they prefer that.

Then split 2 and their 20's pick to StKilda for 7&8. Use those picks on Armstrong and Tauru. Doubt Saints do it though.

I think that would be Norths dream. It is a chance....but dreams don't often come true.

Yeah ok interesting stat ….but unless they are the dusty/reid types they aren’t going to make a real impact while our flag window is open? Are they?
??? Top 3 player selected as a midfielder make huge impacts as soon as their first year and often their second. Just comb through each draft and see. Look at the recent premiers with daicos, Ashcroft etc etc etc. Midfielders who are supremely talented - as this top few are supposedly - are immediate impacters. And even if it's from their second season - our window is not 1 year. It's open. It's 5+ seasons. The club is setting up to be like Sydney Geelong etc. Always there.

??? Top 3 player selected as a midfielder make huge impacts as soon as their first year and often their second. Just comb through each draft and see. Look at the recent premiers with daicos, Ashcroft etc etc etc. Midfielders who are supremely talented - as this top few are supposedly - are immediate impacters. And even if it's from their second season - our window is not 1 year. It's open. It's 5+ seasons. The club is setting up to be like Sydney Geelong etc. Always there.

Pretty much all the good ones do. And the ones that don't usually end up not being much good anyway. Midfield stars are pretty obvious from the start.

We just tell ourselves some players take time to delude ourself into thinking a failed pick isn't a failed pick. 🤣

How many starts, the perennial question!

Lions this year?

Yep, we could do with a couple more...

View attachment 2139690

So 9? I'll say 8 Dunkley is not a star. Cerra 2023 > Dunkley

Cripps, Walsh, Charlie, harry, TDK, weits, Draper, Saad

Comfortable with that for sure! (I think Saad is a better half back than zorko)

But to their credit. They also have kiddy Coleman who is a ****ing gun too.

They've a great list. I think Draper puts our midfield ahead of theirs

I think our spine is ahead.

Our flankers are well behind.

I don't see adding Houston as putting us any closer to them. Draper? **** yes.

Ashcroft and O’Sullivan are the standouts, then throw a blanket over the next dozen or so, several good midfielders in the group which become scarce after that, however several good tall / KPP and smal forwards selections well into mid / late twenties.
I’d prefer maintain our 2 selections.

North also just can't keep picking elite mids and making others redundant, or they are just on a merry-go-round.

Phillips has already been pushed out of a regular game, Powell gets shunted into different roles. It may just suit them to get 2 players in other positions, rather than one "best available" at 2?

That’s my thoughts exactly, there are only mids you’d take at pick 2 without significantly reaching.
At 12 and 14 there’s quite a few very interesting different types.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If Austin & co think pick 3 will be a jet, then that deal would be ok. We need to protect Cripps over the next 4 years. The last 4 Premiers have had a physically strong & deep midfields. Swans have a tough midfield but not physically intimidating.

The last 4 Premiers have also had damaging dynamic small forwards. We don’t.

A deal with WC could be something like this
12, 14 Carroll
For
3, Ryan & a 2nd/3rd rounder. Ryan has been injured recently but if we take a punt, we go next level in this area of the ground. You need to remember, half of WC’s list was chronically injured the past few years. Back our new program

Ashcroft and O’Sullivan are the standouts, then throw a blanket over the next dozen or so, several good midfielders in the group which become scarce after that, however several good tall / KPP and smal forwards selections well into mid / late twenties.
I’d prefer maintain our 2 selections.

Move up to Pick 3, draft Draper or Lalor. In 2-3 years, snap up O’Sullivan to come play with cousin Walsh. :p

Could we still get involved with Gold Coast?

Carlton > Pick 13 and Pick 23
Suns > Pick 14, Owies & Kennedy Pick
  • Kennedy Pick 40 (Melbourne)
  • Rates Owies Pick 40
Would give us 3x Firsts, including the all important back to back picks.
  • Gives us huge potential to trade up while still having Pick 23 or move 23 on for a F1.
Suns still have pick 14 and 29 for Collingwood (Houston)

Is there any strength in the mail that North are keen on the pick trade with us.
Pick 2 guarantees us either Lalor or Draper …

View attachment 2139735
Happy Lilly Singh GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Austin is not a wizard: Durdin, Motlop, Moir, Hollands. Jury is out on all of these kids.

And everyone had Dow at pick 3 or thereabouts, many pundits had him at 1.

Austin has had one top 15 pick... I'm willing to at least give him a chance first.

2017 draft was clearly Rayner #1, Brayshaw #2... then LDU, Dow and Cerra were the next 3 in any order.

It just wasn't a strong draft...

Austin has had one top 15 pick... I'm willing to at least give him a chance first.

2017 draft was clearly Rayner #1, Brayshaw #2... then LDU, Dow and Cerra were the next 3 in any order.

My memory is that Brayshaw was a surprise pick 2, the other 4 were thought to be ahead of him.

This is fantasy land stuff. Not happening. Three live options still being considered (none of them involve Moir)

1. Turn 12 and 14 into 3 and some extra Campo points
2. Take 12 and 14 to the draft
3. Trade 12 for Houston and take 14 to the draft (if Pies / Suns / Power falls over)

I rate the likelihood in that order.

This is big news... the most likely outcome being trading up to #3...

It’s a near certainty that at least one of picks 1-5 this year will not work out. It could be the player we take, ala 2017. It happens almost every year.

Here is one contemporaneous rating of the 2017 draft: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2017-draft-almanac.1161261/

Last edited:
It’s a near certainty that at least one of picks 1-5 this year will not work out. It could be the player we take, ala 2017. It happens almost every year.

Here is one contemporaneous rating of the 2017 draft: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2017-draft-almanac.1161261/

Why do you keep insisting on repeating yourself over and over? Did you not read the part where I said I agreed with it being a risk?

and Knightmare hardly gets any draft right... like most people...

Like I said, Freo were into Brayshaw, they didn't want to risk losing him so he was clear #2. They were happy with whoever of Dow, Cerra or LDU at their next pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back