Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Not as triggering as when this generation say ‘who are we versing this week’…

Versus is the kings english, I just wish they would teach it in schools…
I am in full agreeance!

:p

Not as triggering as when this generation say ‘who are we versing this week’…

Versus is the kings english, I just wish they would teach it in schools…
Drives me ****ing crazy. I hear 30 and 40 year olds say it too. I’ve hammered it out of my little ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a more subtle way of addressing the thread title that triggers me each time I see it.

The word is normality.

Normalcy has apparently emanated from the US, but hey the English language has utilised the word normality for eons.
Of all the things to get irked by - and I do confess, I get irritated by no end of Americanisms that have found their way into colloquial Australian english - a mistake made by an American presidential candidate in the 1920's because he couldn't find the world normality in the dictionary is a bit of an odd one.

Words and meanings shift. Signs change, and the meanings behind them shift. It's as relentless as the tides, and there's no stopping it.

And - in any case - this isn't really the thread to be discussing etymology or semiotics.

Of all the things to get irked by - and I do confess, I get irritated by no end of Americanisms that have found their way into colloquial Australian english - a mistake made by an American presidential candidate in the 1920's because he couldn't find the world normality in the dictionary is a bit of an odd one.

Words and meanings shift. Signs change, and the meanings behind them shift. It's as relentless as the tides, and there's no stopping it.

And - in any case - this isn't really the thread to be discussing etymology or semiotics.

Just on Americanisms, if I see any code in Australia put the Away team as first named on the screens or fixtures I’ll lose my shit

Home team should be first named ffs, does my head in watching American sports

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just on Americanisms, if I see any code in Australia put the Away team as first named on the screens or fixtures I’ll lose my shit

Home team should be first named ffs, does my head in watching American sports

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
[X] @ [Y] is so annoying.

My eye twitches every time someone says agreeance within earshot.

It’s actually twitching right now.
For all intensive purposes, usually, I could care less..

But when I also hear someone say 'agreeance', I try and nip it in the butt, and try and extract revenge.

I will always try and rectify it from the gecko.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all intensive purposes, usually, I could care less..

But when I also hear someone say 'agreeance', I try and nip it in the butt, and try and extract revenge.

I will always try and rectify it from the gecko.
IMG_3738.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back