Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that people still rate us and we live rent free in so many opposing supporters heads is fantastic! You guys seriously have nothing else to do but bump threads about a team that has not won a thing for decades??? 😂🤪

On the plus side it is good to be hated and let if flow all!! 🤩

The fact that people still rate us and we live rent free in so many opposing supporters heads is fantastic! You guys seriously have nothing else to do but bump threads about a team that has not won a thing for decades??? 😂🤪

Carlton have broken you.

Carlton have broken you.
Is that your Dad talking to you? Go to Vic park as a kid did we and even view a spit on Nicky Winmar first hand??

You must be so proud of your own club and congrats.

Your theme song is based off a racist ballad, you should worry about that 👌
Sheesh i was wrong and you maybe you are the grandfather condoning the spitting on Winmar if you remember that far back regarding Lily of Laguna which was an 1800s ballard. If you go back deep enough every tune has racist overtones worldwide from that era.

Luckily the world has moved on except for some like yourself who had a whole supporter base at a ground literally spit on an indigenous champ of our game but call out us because of a song.

Lets just ignore the Vic Park glory days shall we cause it suits your agenda and Pies supporters are the reason Flinders St station has No spitting signs from generations ago implanted in the tiles on the walls between platforms.

Sheesh i was wrong and you maybe you are the grandfather condoning the spitting on Winmar if you remember that far back regarding Lily of Laguna which was an 1800s ballard. If you go back deep enough every tune has racist overtones worldwide from that era.

Luckily the world has moved on except for some like yourself who had a whole supporter base at a ground literally spit on an indigenous champ of our game but call out us because of a song.

Lets just ignore the Vic Park glory days shall we cause it suits your agenda and Pies supporters are the reason Flinders St station has No spitting signs from generations ago implanted in the tiles on the walls between platforms.
Sorry what has this got to do with Carlton failing once again?

Sorry what has this got to do with Carlton failing once again?
I dont know and you started the off topic crap i responded to giving you a much needed history lesson.

I’m quite aware of what happened many years ago. But frankly your as responsible as me for the actions of some random bogans in the 90s
Get your hand off it and no one at Princess Park ever spat on indigenous champs of our game and Winmar was not alone but had the guts to call it out.

Yet you call us out over a song.

I met Nicky Winmar at a sportsman night at my local footy club and he is a true champ and gentleman but the stories he told of Vic Park are something i cannot repeat here and he never experienced it at any other local ground.

Keep your head in the sand though and call us out over a song from the 1800s.

Get your hand off it and no one at Princess Park ever spat on indigenous champs of our game and Winmar was not alone but had the guts to call it out.

I met Nicky Winmar at a sportsman night at my local footy club and he is a true champ and gentleman but the stories he told of Vic Park are something i cannot repeat here and he never experienced it at any other local ground.

What exactly am I keeping my head in the sand about sorry?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What exactly am I keeping my head in the sand about sorry?
Oh god.

Read the thread and how you called my
Club out over a so called racist tune from the 1800s but conveniently ignore the fact that you had 20k plus supporters all spit on and racially abuse Nicky Winmar at Vic park calling him names i cannot and will not repeat on here while also encouraging their 12yo children to do the same and that is from the man himself.

Yet you call us out for a song from the 1800s from your ivory tower?

Carlton was the club that started racism against Aboriginals. Collingwood was woeful, Carlton every bit as bad.

Oh god.

Read the thread and how you called my
Club out over a so called racist tune from the 1800s but conveniently ignore the fact that you had 20k plus supporters all spit on and racially abuse Nicky Winmar at Vic park calling him names i cannot and will not repeat on here while also encouraging their 12yo children to do the same and that is from the man himself.

Yet you call us out for a song from the 1800s from your ivory tower?
Err you literally brought up Winmar first?

T2B_
Before you disagree with my post, you might want to learn something about the mistreatment of Aboriginals. You may want to learn about why Sir Doug Nicholls left Carlton. Why some players would not play with him, why trainers refused to rub him down and why he couldn't use the same showers,

'Carlton’s CEO Steven Trigg says this day is not only about hounouring one of the greatest people this country has ever produced, but also reflecting on a man “well ahead of his time” and the mistreatment he faced at Carlton.

“Before joining Fitzroy in 1927 Sir Doug was in fact recruited to play for our club, and unfortunately due to certain individuals’ behavior at that time, Sir Doug was simply not given the opportunity to flourish, as his talent and his character should ordinarily dictate,” Trigg said.

“He was excluded and left out due to his Aboriginality and it’s those actions by club officials that bring us here today to acknowledge our past.”

Trigg labelled the past behaviour as “completely unacceptable”, noting it’s not aligned with the Club’s values and what the Blues stand for. '

Is your assertion that Carlton was the first club that started racism against aboriginals based on comments from Stephen Trigg?

No, it's based on knowing Sir Douglas Nicholls and having been blessed enough to have many conversations with him.

No, it's based on knowing Sir Douglas Nicholls and having been blessed enough to have many conversations with him.
So your conversations with him that would’ve taken place, what, some 36+ years ago, and from which his experiences where he played or crossed paths with all of the teams that were around in those days to have then concluded that one particular team was the very first club to have started racism against Aboriginals?

So your conversations with him that would’ve taken place, what, some 36+ years ago, and from which his experiences where he played or crossed paths with all of the teams that were around in those days to have then concluded that one particular team was the very first club to have started racism against Aboriginals?

I know Carlton couldn't possibly be responsible for racism against Aboriginal players. How could you possibly accept that? You do realise that only 4 Aboriginals played before Doug Nicholls. Yes, they drove him from Carlton due to the racist nature of the club. Uncle Doug was driven from Carlton before he played a game. The first Aboriginal to play was Joey Johnson, his debut against Carlton where he was racially abused from the first bounce. Own your part in the horrific history of abuse against Aboriginals in the AFL. I know how bad my club was. Recognise yours. Understand the history of racism against Aboriginals and you may start to get somewhere.

T2B_
Before you disagree with my post, you might want to learn something about the mistreatment of Aboriginals. You may want to learn about why Sir Doug Nicholls left Carlton. Why some players would not play with him, why trainers refused to rub him down and why he couldn't use the same showers,

'Carlton’s CEO Steven Trigg says this day is not only about hounouring one of the greatest people this country has ever produced, but also reflecting on a man “well ahead of his time” and the mistreatment he faced at Carlton.

“Before joining Fitzroy in 1927 Sir Doug was in fact recruited to play for our club, and unfortunately due to certain individuals’ behavior at that time, Sir Doug was simply not given the opportunity to flourish, as his talent and his character should ordinarily dictate,” Trigg said.

“He was excluded and left out due to his Aboriginality and it’s those actions by club officials that bring us here today to acknowledge our past.”

Trigg labelled the past behaviour as “completely unacceptable”, noting it’s not aligned with the Club’s values and what the Blues stand for. '
Please, no doubt we were racist, just like most of society and therefore likely most clubs as well were at the time. You're using it to point score against a rival club, which is pretty low tbh

Please, no doubt we were racist, just like most of society and therefore likely most clubs as well were at the time. You're using it to point score against a rival club, which is pretty low tbh

No I wasn’t actually. I raised it in response to a Carlton poster who had raised racism. The response was aimed at that. I don’t see racism as point scoring. I see it as life destroying in many cases.

Carlton are on the right track with Brian Cook as CEO.

Unfortunately, given the treatment of Indigenous people within this country, I'd be surprised if all of the older clubs didn't have skeletons in the closet when it comes to racism. We can acknowledge it, learn from it & perhaps not use it to score points as part of an idiotic debate on the internet..

Carlton still has deficiencies but for the first time in my time, we have a good operator in Cook at the helm so I'm more confident that we'll eventually get it right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Back