Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure mate, you may have seen a poor moment or two in a throw-away game at the ass-end of a throw-away season.

Grundy changed the standards for fitness for his position, for tackling and for second efforts. I don't think he has a 'corrosive' attitude problem - I think that's a ridiculous exaggeration.

Dean Cox and Josh Fraser (poor ruckwork but did a lot of follower around the ground work ie fitness) did it before Grundy.

Grundy based his tackling and follow ups off Mumford who based them off Clarke Keating.

One wonders if the carry-on would be so dramatic if he was on $750-800k, rather than 900k.

He's a little over-paid, but earned the contract coming off two best and fairests and two All-Australian seasons.

Well documented that he struggled in the bubble last year and this year he's been one of, if not the best ruck in the comp by most statistical measures.

Grundy is the least of our problems.

If Grundy signed for 750k over 4 to 5 years no one would bat an eyelid.

Like when he beat NicNat just recently?

Grundy overall probably had a better game, but I’m not sure he was the clear winner in ruck contests that day…

From the match day updates on the AFL site:

“Nic Natanui has been the dominant player around stoppages, winning 10 clearances and 10 hitouts-to-advantage - both game-highs.”

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

His current one is now never mind the future.

7 years @ 950k should never of been even considered.

If it was 950, 950, 750, 750, 600, 600, 600. Then the length would be less issue and he is on near 750k per year over the period.

Which was about right, but hurting us less as he ages.

In a parallel, non-COVID universe he would have been hurting us less as he ages anyway, because the cap increases over time.

Coniglio's deal is believed to be in the realm of $1m a season, for the same amount of time as Grundy's.

He also can't get a game now. This is a rubbish idea! Bring in a significantly worse player who is on the same coin for just as long?
Don't fall for the "he's cooked crap", has had significant injuries and is twice the player Grundy is. Prior to this year he was talked up as potentially becoming the best player in the comp, and, we would have significantly more chance of moving on a midfielder if it goes wrong than it is a Ruckman who really is quite average and still living in the shadow of 2018

Don't fall for the "he's cooked crap", has had significant injuries and is twice the player Grundy is. Prior to this year he was talked up as potentially becoming the best player in the comp, and, we would have significantly more chance of moving on a midfielder if it goes wrong than it is a Ruckman who really is quite average and still living in the shadow of 2018

Lol what? Talked up as the best player in the AFL? He'd struggle to be the best player in GWS's reserve team.

He's 27 years old and never been AA or won a club BnF. We seem to love judging Grundy on his last month of form but happy to overrate opposition players on their reputation from a handful of games 3 years ago.

Lol what? Talked up as the best player in the AFL? He'd struggle to be the best player in GWS's reserve team.

He's 27 years old and never been AA or won a club BnF. We seem to love judging Grundy on his last month of form but happy to overrate opposition players on their reputation from a handful of games 3 years ago.
That's your opinion, the last month, lol, he has been shit for the last 2 years, who is overrating who

He's played 35 games in three seasons and isn't the same player. It's hilarious to me that the same criticisms of Grundy apply to Coniglio, only amplified, yet he gets a clear pass. Mental gymnastics gold medal for you

Incorrect. It was reported at $800k-$850 and only 3 or 4 years.

Nah, Gawn was definitely cited as in that $900-950k a year prior to recently re-signing. Took a shave on his latest deal.

One wonders if the carry-on would be so dramatic if he was on $750-800k, rather than 900k.

He's a little over-paid, but earned the contract coming off two best and fairests and two All-Australian seasons.

Well documented that he struggled in the bubble last year and this year he's been one of, if not the best ruck in the comp by most statistical measures.

Grundy is the least of our problems.

Agree. His form has waned last couple of games but had a good season up till then.

If Grundy signed for 750k over 4 to 5 years no one would bat an eyelid.

Bullshit. There’d still be people sooking on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a parallel, non-COVID universe he would have been hurting us less as he ages anyway, because the cap increases over time.

Should resume that circa 2% per annum increase in TPP once we get back to crowds. Hopefully as soon as 2022.

Bullshit. There’d still be people sooking on here.

Demanding the best from players should not be confused or misinterpreted with sooking. I would say it’s more being pissed off with players.

I have also been critical of WHE and Steele Sidebottom. These players should have been leaders on field and really setting standards.

If you are are happy to sit back and watch players do zero for periods of game, pick and choose when they put in effort then that’s fine, your choice.

With the likely AA and B&F bonuses it is likely closer to $900. And given his durability concerns compared to Grundy, that makes sense
Gawn has durability concerns?
So Grundy has no AA and B&F bonuses?

You seem to know all the details on these contracts. I don't.
So are you saying Grundy doesn't have any bonuses built into his contract or that the $900k-$950kpa he is being paid is actually much lower?

Last edited:
His best game (monster) was in round 2 against Tom Fullarton from Brisbane. A kid playing his 3rd game of AFL. Brisbane had no ruckman. On the return match, he was up against McInerny and broke even at best.
Next high stat game was against GC who has 2 kids who were 191am and 195cm backmen as their rucks who had played about 10-15 games.
Another dominant game was against Choi.

Games like these exaggerate his year. Games against other 1st or 2nd team ruckman (not 3rd or 4th) and he probably well covered maybe 3 or 4 games this year at best.

For the best paid ruckman in the game, that's not good enough. To suggest he is meeting expectations because 'statistically' he is playing as well as 2018/2019 is ludicrous. He wouldn't be even close to AA, wont win the Copeland and wont be polling anywhere near as well in the Brownlow.

I'm not saying we should get rid of him. But he needs to earn the contract he demanded from the club. The highest paid player at the club....

Demanding the best from players should not be confused or misinterpreted with sooking. I would say it’s more being pissed off with players.

I have also been critical of WHE and Steele Sidebottom. These players should have been leaders on field and really setting standards.

If you are are happy to sit back and watch players do zero for periods of game, pick and choose when they put in effort then that’s fine, your choice.

I see where you've gone wrong. Hiding behind an anonymous keyboard making arbitrary claims on a footy forum doesn't constitute "demanding". These forums are for discussion. Sadly, much of what we see here is just sooking. Nice we also get a sense of stamping feet to.

You want to demand anything then you know where the club is, the contact details are easy to find, the AGM will be soon.

I would trade him this offseason as long as we don't have to pay any of his contract.
Don't need down hill skiers when you are rebuilding.
Trade him and get the picks for points for ND who will put in every week.
Can always blame his contract on the previous list manager - trade him and move on.
No one is taking his contract and giving us picks lol, if we’re lucky someone will take on his salary if we give him to them for free, that is our best way out IMO, cut our loses completely and never speak of him again.

Grundy is a gun, based on stats the best in the league. Yet I want to trade him…why?

Because if we are to ever improve the list we need to park the dollars where they have the greatest impact. Ruck unfortunately is not that position.

Stupid move by us, let’s just hope Adelaide are still desperate to have him.

For Brodie Grundy to evolve his game, he's go to work on his tap work with the midfield. Directly. Pushing and playing more deep forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back