Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I mean by he'll come good. The talent and quality is definitely there. Attitude is the easiest to change with a new coach and proper stability in the club .

Sure it's disappointing to see that sort of body language from one of your senior leaders. But the last two weeks, it's not like any of Adams, Sidebottom, Howe have shown anything more in terms of attitude. We're playing in dead rubber matches in empty stadiums with no coach to play for. Pretty hard to appear overly enthusiastic.
You are kidding? Making excuses for a bloke on huge money who has continually lowered his colours to ruckmen he is supposed to be several levels of class above. His sulky petulant body language and refusal to chase or tackle with intent was excruciating to watch.
For Harvey to talk about how invested our leaders are in taking the club forward after that display is truly disconcerting and Sidebottom wasn't much better.

Big trust in Grundy and hope he can recapture his all Australian form which I think he will. Hopefully during the pre season a lot of emphasis is put into his actual ruck work, I felt that was his biggest let down this year. Also, I hope we get to see him rest a bit more up forward he has a really good kick for goal and don't understand why especially this year with no options he was never down there.

I reckon the Grundy issue lies somewhere in between. I don't think a single contract is going to single-handedly kill any top4/premiership aspirations this club might have while he's at the club, and it's true that most clubs have at least one bad contract negatively impacting their list chemistry. If we have half a clue, we can still build a good list around this deal. That said, Grundy's attitude for most of the season has been utterly pathetic and simply can't be excused even by the biggest supporters. If he were on $400k I'd still be livid with how he presents himself in marking contests and how often he's out bodied to the side. He'll barely come top 10 in our B&F and will miss his second straight AA squad of 40. Pathetic return from a man of his stature and earning.

I reckon the Grundy issue lies somewhere in between. I don't think a single contract is going to single-handedly kill any top4/premiership aspirations this club might have while he's at the club, and it's true that most clubs have at least one bad contract negatively impacting their list chemistry. If we have half a clue, we can still build a good list around this deal. That said, Grundy's attitude for most of the season has been utterly pathetic and simply can't be excused even by the biggest supporters. If he were on $400k I'd still be livid with how he presents himself in marking contests and how often he's out bodied to the side. He'll barely come top 10 in our B&F and will miss his second straight AA squad of 40. Pathetic return from a man of his stature and earning.

I'm not all that bothered with the contract as long as he actually plays like he kind of deserves it. He is playing like he has his money guaranteed now so why bother giving a sh!t.

Before he had motivation to train his ass off to get a big contract, now all he has to do is turn up to bank 6 million over the next 6 years. The motivation is gone. he'll still be a good player, but there's no hunger that you see with blokes coming out of contract.

Looks like he Rather Do anything else except play for Collingwood
Maybe he has been reading bigfooty and taking our comments to heart, which is kind of what I'd hope he might do anyway. For the money he is on, he needs to be aware of the disappointment so many of us feeling with his on field performance.

I wonder if GWS would entertain a deal where we swap Grungy for Coniglio who is way out of favor at GWS and on a slightly smaller contract:think::think:
Coniglio's deal is believed to be in the realm of $1m a season, for the same amount of time as Grundy's.

He also can't get a game now. This is a rubbish idea! Bring in a significantly worse player who is on the same coin for just as long?

Coniglio's deal is believed to be in the realm of $1m a season, for the same amount of time as Grundy's.

He also can't get a game now. This is a rubbish idea! Bring in a significantly worse player who is on the same coin for just as long?

I think the only issue is that he would go back to Perth.

The idea though is good. Instead of absorbing Grundys salary at another club, get another player on a similar contract. Could be a win-win for both teams.

I think the only issue is that he would go back to Perth.

The idea though is good. Instead of absorbing Grundys salary at another club, get another player on a similar contract. Could be a win-win for both teams.
Why would we want a worse player on a similar contract? A contract which everyone acknowledges as one that handicaps clubs?

I would trade him this offseason as long as we don't have to pay any of his contract.
Don't need down hill skiers when you are rebuilding.
Trade him and get the picks for points for ND who will put in every week.
Can always blame his contract on the previous list manager - trade him and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If today I had a choice of ruckman in the league, he would probably be around 5th. Gawn, Nic Nat, Darcy, Draper are probably all ahead of him whether it be now or the next 5 years. Admittedly NicNat probably only has 1 or 2 yrs left in him.

Paying $900k pa for another 5/6 years for a ruckman is an issue in itself. But to give it to the 4th or 5th best ruckman in the league is a major failure by player and club.

If today I had a choice of ruckman in the league, he would probably be around 5th. Gawn, Nic Nat, Darcy, Draper are probably all ahead of him whether it be now or the next 5 years. Admittedly NicNat probably only has 1 or 2 yrs left in him.

Paying $900k pa for another 5/6 years for a ruckman is an issue in itself. But to give it to the 4th or 5th best ruckman in the league is a major failure by player and club.
He was the best ruck in the competition when we gave it to him. There was no way to see this happening.

The length should never have been agreed to though

It hasn't been two years. He was the dominant ruckman in the AFL first half of last season until Covid hublife took its toll and Collingwood's form dived. He's also had a pretty good season this year apart from the last few weeks and the odd game here and there. He's averaged similar numbers of possession (c.20) whilst having his career best year in terms of goals. His output seems lower cause our midfield has been terrible this year.

He was on his previous $500k contract last year that clearly undervalued him for years. Unlike Beams, he didn't request a trade whilst contracted on an amount that was undervaluing his output. He didn't ask for $800k+ contracts based purely on potential like JDG/Moore. Only once he proved himself as a premier ruckman in the competition, he asked for his marquee contract.

He's also highly durable and rarely misses games. We get better value from the $950k we pay him per season than the similar contracts currently being paid to Buddy Franklin, Josh Kelly, NicNat, McGovern, Fyfe, Cognilio, Gaff, Cripps, Heeney, Sloane etc. Many of them are injury prone and regularly miss half a season.

We need to get over his contract. It's no where near as bad as what we wasted on Beams, Wells, Mayne (his original contract) and the amount we were paying Treloar when he's never been good enough for AA. The only issue with his contract isn't the fact he's on $950k per season. It's just that it might be 2 years too long. Which just means that he will be on a long term contract at the backend of his career vs rolling over 1 year contracts that might still be worth $750k p.a. At most we might be overpaying by $500k at the end of his contract. But inflation and increases in salary cap in 7 years time will probably reduce that to nothing.

Grundy will be a foundational part of our rebuild and underpin our next flag tilt. Our list issues lie elsewhere.
I don’t buy the ‘he has similar numbers’ because if you look at who he was competing against each round, you will see he was up against teams who through injury had no rucks and used either makeshift ruckman or at best brought in very inexperienced kids to do the job.
No more excuses for sub par performances from senior players who are paid above market rates.

I don’t buy the ‘he has similar numbers’ because if you look at who he was competing against each round, you will see he was up against teams who through injury had no rucks and used either makeshift ruckman or at best brought in very inexperienced kids to do the job.
No more excuses for sub par performances from senior players who are paid above market rates.
This happens every season to every ruck

He was the best ruck in the competition when we gave it to him. There was no way to see this happening.

The length should never have been agreed to though
He was probably given the best ever contract in the history of the game for a ruckman. Gawn, who was arguably just as good or even better as some would suggest is on far less.

He was probably given the best ever contract in the history of the game for a ruckman. Gawn, who was arguably just as good or even better as some would suggest is on far less.
Max Gawn's been reported as being on $900-950k, same as Grundy (pre-COVID numbers)

This happens every season to every ruck
I’d suggest you take a look at the games this year he dominated in and the games he may have broken even in or was towelled. You will then see how ordinary a ruckman he has become.
Closer analysis will show you exactly how he has performed rather than simply basing it on how many kicks/tap out etc he has had.

I’d suggest you take a look at the games this year he dominated in and the games he may have broken even in or was towelled. You will then see how ordinary a ruckman he has become.
Closer analysis will show you exactly how he has performed rather than simply basing it on how many kicks/tap out etc he has had.
Like when he beat NicNat just recently?

Max Gawn's been reported as being on $900-950k, same as Grundy (pre-COVID numbers)

But Gawn - alerted to the ranking by his wife Jess, who remains at home while the Dees are in their Queensland hub - claimed the $900,000-plus figure was “wrong by upwards of $250,000”.

But Gawn - alerted to the ranking by his wife Jess, who remains at home while the Dees are in their Queensland hub - claimed the $900,000-plus figure was “wrong by upwards of $250,000”.
Jay Clark offered to make donations to charity if Gawn could prove he was earning $650k or less.

No such proof was offered :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back