Autopsy Bulldogs continue to make less and less sense as they beat 2nd placed Carlton without key players

Remove this Banner Ad

I tell you what doesn’t make sense. Most of our shit supporters bagging how players constantly. Aussie rules is a tough game at any level. Even tougher at AFL level. The competition has never been tighter and the speed of the game never been faster.
Support players that’s your job not to criticise and bag. Especially some younger players.
We have a solid team and we have gone through some transition. Be patient and supportive. End of the day it’s just a game.
Go doggies ❤️🤍💙
Are you saying we shouldn't post with honesty?

Should we only post here if it's a puff piece?

Think about it.
What would be the point of such a forum? Who would bother coming here?

Don't tell me what my job is. I'm all for supporting the club and posting glowing praise of players and staff when it's due. But I think we should call out things that we think are wrong. Or the things that are stopping us realising our potential. And to analyse why they are happening and suggests ways to improve.

I'm not in favour of belittling, demeaning or abusing players. I have repeatedly posted in the past that we should only post criticisms that we'd be prepared to make face-to-face with that player. People sometimes laugh at that but it's a good test for yourself before posting. I think it helps in coming up with a fairer commentary, even if it still has to be a critical one.

The most engaging threads and posts here are the ones created by people who think critically, analytically, creatively and fairly. Who aren't blinded by their Bulldog faith. Who acknowledge shortcomings and look for constructive solutions. Who come up with original thoughts and new takes. I don't agree with every one of them but they enrich the experience of being a Dogs supporter. I sometimes even give a 'like' to a post that I disagree with if it has been argued well (or is funny).

Are there people here who bag players constantly? Yes there are a few and sometimes they annoy me too. But they are a small minority. Most people here have a reasonable level of discernment and fairness. And quite a lot of them are prepared to own up to being wrong or unfair in their earlier criticisms.

Go doggies!
❤️
🤍
💙

Are you saying we shouldn't post with honesty?

Should we only post here if it's a puff piece?

Think about it.
What would be the point of such a forum? Who would bother coming here?

Don't tell me what my job is. I'm all for supporting the club and posting glowing praise of players and staff when it's due. But I think we should call out things that we think are wrong. Or the things that are stopping us realising our potential. And to analyse why they are happening and suggests ways to improve.

I'm not in favour of belittling, demeaning or abusing players. I have repeatedly posted in the past that we should only post criticisms that we'd be prepared to make face-to-face with that player. People sometimes laugh at that but it's a good test for yourself before posting. I think it helps in coming up with a fairer commentary, even if it still has to be a critical one.

The most engaging threads and posts here are the ones created by people who think critically, analytically, creatively and fairly. Who aren't blinded by their Bulldog faith. Who acknowledge shortcomings and look for constructive solutions. Who come up with original thoughts and new takes. I don't agree with every one of them but they enrich the experience of being a Dogs supporter. I sometimes even give a 'like' to a post that I disagree with if it has been argued well (or is funny).

Are there people here who bag players constantly? Yes there are a few and sometimes they annoy me too. But they are a small minority. Most people here have a reasonable level of discernment and fairness. And quite a lot of them are prepared to own up to being wrong or unfair in their earlier criticisms.

Go doggies!
❤️
🤍
💙
Well said DW. There is a difference between bagging players and expressing disappointment at something they do in a game (yeah I know I say “x” is a potato sometimes. We get frustrated. It reminds me of that scene on the Late Show all those years ago when Mick Molloy went heckling people in their normal job. I’m trying to find it to post but haven’t had any luck

Do some of you even go to the game. Curnow barely had a sniff first half with Buku winning plenty of 1 or 1. To Curnows credit and the good player he is, he fought back hard, especially in the last as Buku tied. Yet a lot of his misses were blasts from outside 50. Listen Buku is still learning and improving, there is no way they go back to Gardy or even Keith, stay the path Bevo is on the right track

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Curnow had 10 scoring shots.

Buku had some good moments but if Curnow had his kicking boots on it would have been a bloodbath.

I’m not even bagging Buku. He’s not meant to be on Curnow types and tried hard. We also had little alternative but to try it. We got away with one though.

Buku had some good moments but if Curnow had his kicking boots on it would have been a bloodbath.

I’m not even bagging Buku. He’s not meant to be on Curnow types and tried hard. We also had little alternative but to try it. We got away with one though.
A lot of Curnow's misses where blasts from outside 50's where he was not expected to goal. He actually played a very selfish game which helped get us over the line. Buku needs to continue to work on his fitness and intensity for the full game, I agree, yet his 1 on 1 work was relatively good, and in my view a mile ahead of Gardiner and just ahead of Keith. Going back to those guys is not the right way for this time at the moment.

Dale's ball handling skills are sublime at times, his highlight reel has some spectacular stuff in it just little things like the basketball dribble to himself a cpl weeks back, blind turns out of tackles whilst gathering the ball one handed things like that, when he's on he changes our whole dynamic as a team.

Spitting image of Bo from superstore with that glorious mo too yeah yeah

A lot of Curnow's misses where blasts from outside 50's where he was not expected to goal. He actually played a very selfish game which helped get us over the line. Buku needs to continue to work on his fitness and intensity for the full game, I agree, yet his 1 on 1 work was relatively good, and in my view a mile ahead of Gardiner and just ahead of Keith. Going back to those guys is not the right way for this time at the moment.
True that Curnow was selfish, but that’s not anything to do with Buku. If he’d spotted up some teammates with some of his more selfish efforts and been straighter it might have been 5 or 6 goals with a few assists.

Again, Buku shouldn’t be playing on Curnow types and it’s not his fault he was, but I think some have given him a bit more credit than is due because the worst case scenario we all worried about didn’t occur.

Last edited:
I transferred my two seats to another Bulldog as we had seats on level 2.

I fly out on Monday overseas for six weeks, and if we don’t make finals I won’t get to another game this year. I didn’t want to go, I gave us a snowball in hell chance of a win, but I was so pleased I did, great game.

Carlton supporters were loud in the beginning it soon shut up. Every time Buku got the ball there was an audible groan, so I thought he played well.

An interesting stat, we averaged 25 years, Carlton 26.

Naughton, Darcy and Marra are going to be some force in the years to come.
I just got back from five weeks overseas haha. Love the winter escape from the cold.

Coaches Votes

Western Bulldogs v Carlton​

9 Bailey Dale (WB)
9 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (WB)
6 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
4 Rhylee West (WB)
1 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
1 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

Coaches Votes

Western Bulldogs v Carlton​

9 Bailey Dale (WB)
9 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (WB)
6 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
4 Rhylee West (WB)
1 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
1 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

Seems pretty universal from both coaches, only difference was the ones and which player got the 5 and which got the four.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True that Curnow was selfish, but that’s not anything to do with Buku. If he’d spotted up some teammates with some of his more selfish efforts and been straighter it might have been 5 or 6 goals with a few assists.

Again, Buku shouldn’t be playing on Curnow types and it’s not his fault he was, but I think some have given him a bit more credit than is due because the worst case scenario we all worried about didn’t occur.
And if the dogs had kicked straight the game was over before most of Curnow's effort

Our defensive pressure and the way we filled space in D50 forced Curnow up the ground, and in turn forced his hand in trying to kick those shots. Buku did well in many 1v1 contests - not all, but more than I expected him too.

It's similar to when we used to bring the ball into our F50 frustratingly wide every time, giving forwards shots from low percentage spots. Something we seem to have at least partially addressed. Lots of misses, which could have won games, but ultimately didn't.

Edit: plus what Doggy said. That 0.7 first quarter...

I just wanted to give Buku some cudos. I thought he held up well , marked very well and stuck to his task all night. He didn’t win every contest but won his fair share and contributed greatly to the win. As an earlier poster said he isn’t a KPD but that was the role assigned and played the role very well.

True, but on the other hand if we’d not kicked 0.7 to begin the day it might not have mattered. Lots of ifs and buts but without seeing it I’d imagine our expected score from where those 7 points were scored from was somewhat higher than Charlie’s 7

True, but on the other hand if we’d not kicked 0.7 to begin the day it might not have mattered. Lots of ifs and buts but without seeing it I’d imagine our expected score from where those 7 points were scored from was somewhat higher than Charlie’s 7

I’m just talking about Buku’s individual performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Bulldogs continue to make less and less sense as they beat 2nd placed Carlton without key players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back