Play Nice Bye Bye Brad #3 [Locked: BS signs 2-year ext. Aug-2017, tied to NM until end 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The notion of players tanking has always been absurd. It isn't in any players interest to decrease their stocks, intentionally fail their own KPIs or actually pave the way for the club to bring in their upgrade replacement.

What we're witnessing is a core group and their coach in the wilderness. Whether they're all moving in the same direction, who knows.

But this ain't tanking. It's players playing badly and a coach that hasn't brought on a reliable core in 8 years for whatever reason.

The notion of players tanking has always been absurd. It isn't in any players interest to decrease their stocks, intentionally fail their own KPIs or actually pave the way for the club to bring in their upgrade replacement.

What we're witnessing is a core group and their coach in the wilderness. Whether they're all moving in the same direction, who knows.

But this ain't tanking. It's players playing badly and a coach that hasn't brought on a reliable core in 8 years for whatever reason.

I see using averages that Drew Petrie is in career best form with the WCE, just sayin.

Don't know where to put this and I'm not even sure that I'm in the Bye Bye Brad camp, but to how many young midfielders have we made a concerted effort to turn into flankers? I don't like it one bit. For every one decent flanker that we discover through this method, it seems that we lose a few promising midfielders in the process.

That's the product of having one dimensional midfielders

I.e. Swallow, cunnington, ziebell, dumont

It didn't have to be this way, we could have played cunners/ziebell swapping out of the forward line.

But then again we have a penchant for playing 17 kp forwards without any match committee flexibility and we are now left with what we have

Absolutely players don't purposely tank. They're elite athletes they are as competitive as you get.

What does happen though is when someone like Lindsay comes in, with no form, Dumont "rested", Goldy continuing to play whilst he's clearly struggling and someone like Pruess not getting a gig, that effects the mindset of blokes. This current group has no ****ing idea what's going on and is completely rudderless.

Massive reset required. And that doesn't necessarily mean bringing out the Cheque book. 1 year at the bottom isn't going to cut it. Clearly we will get a top 3-5 draft pick this year, potential "2001 like superdraft" next year with Tarryn Thomas and possibly Scott as a FS. We need to take the time to bottom out and clear out. New blood as coach taking over, a year next year to sort shit out and go from there. Martin/Kelly aren't necessarily the key and that may set us back even further than we currently are all because the administration at the top is stale and been stale for a fair while now

That's the product of having one dimensional midfielders

I.e. Swallow, cunnington, ziebell, dumont

It didn't have to be this way, we could have played cunners/ziebell swapping out of the forward line.

Well the disastrous thing for development in my eyes is that we have had natural young midfielders with abilities not seen in our current crop thrown onto a flank, whilst the 'one dimensional' types seem to get fast tracked straight into midfield development (Dumont, Ziebell, the latter who is actually probably more suited to a flank).

McDonald and Atley come to mind. They give us something that we need, and have always had those attributes, but we tried to transform them into flankers. Are they victims of poor timing? Trying to break into a midfield that had Wells, NDS, Harvey (at times) and Higgo? Better to give them a game on a flank and find them a spot rather than have them wasting time in the twos racking up touches in the midfield? I don't know but I just feel these apprenticeships have gone on for way too long.

Maybe it's a chip on my shoulder from my yoof days where I underwent a similar process and felt that it really, really harmed my development. I wasn't a flanker's ***hole and unfortunately as a youngster didn't have the resolve that those who 'make it' do. Happy to wear that criticism and in hindsight and with maturity most of it was my fault, but I can pinpoint the moment they tried to transform me into a flanker as the moment where things went downhill. Lost so much passion for the game during that time, too. When I did get thrown back into the middle on occasion I found my midfielder's instincts were out of touch. I just hope a similar process isn't happening with our boys.

Well the disastrous thing for development in my eyes is that we have had natural young midfielders with abilities not seen in our current crop thrown onto a flank, whilst the 'one dimensional' types seem to get fast tracked straight into midfield development (Dumont, Ziebell, the latter who is actually probably more suited to a flank).

McDonald and Atley come to mind. They give us something that we need, and have always had those attributes, but we tried to transform them into flankers. Are they victims of poor timing? Trying to break into a midfield that had Wells, NDS, Harvey (at times) and Higgo? Better to give them a game on a flank and find them a spot rather than have them wasting time in the twos racking up touches in the midfield? I don't know but I just feel these apprenticeships have gone on for way too long.

Maybe it's a chip on my shoulder from my yoof days where I underwent a similar process and felt that it really, really harmed my development. I wasn't a flanker's ***hole and unfortunately as a youngster didn't have the resolve that those who 'make it' do. Happy to wear that criticism and in hindsight and with maturity most of it was my fault, but I can pinpoint the moment they tried to transform me into a flanker as the moment where things went downhill. Lost so much passion for the game during that time, too. When I did get thrown back into the middle on occasion I found my midfielder's instincts were out of touch. I just hope a similar process isn't happening with our boys.

Half forward flank is the hardest position on the ground to play, you get little opportunity and are expected to smoke it when you do. These days it's all about pressure and making your opportunities count.

The biggest thing I hate is that we've played mids at half back, that don't necessarily have the capability to defend, yet we try to teach them how to defend by playing them down back. Teach them how to defend by chasing the ass of the best midfielders in the comp, by getting a huge tank and running two ways.

Who knows, all I know is that our development of kids particularly midfielders has been average for a long time

:relaxed:UNew coach and pick 2 here we come yippedi dooda yippedi day .:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

What does it matter what he's done? I think the guy has a good football brain, outside of what he says/utilizes in the media.

Pretty vain of you to rationalize your opinion of him as a coach based off a perceived view from things you've seen/read/heard in the media. It's his job to do those things you mentioned.

The guy is a premiership player for north and oozes shinboner, absolute champion.

Has shown the ability to have a sound knowledge of the game and I see him as someone a football team would want to play for (which imo is what north desperately needs).
Ditto all the way......oh if only he could or would, at very least would be a hell of a lot better than what we have now, and probably increase chances of sucess in recruiting major players, I don't feel that Scott would be much of an influence in any major player wanting to be coached by Scott, he is just NOT innovative or creative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably under the pump too. I think a 2 year extension will give him peace of mind and will allow him to focus on the job at hand.
Yes let's give Scotts a 2 year extension seeing that we finished the arse end of last season with 3 wins and 11 losses coupled with our record this season of 4 wins out of 14 games. Makes sense to me. :stern look

Probably under the pump too. I think a 2 year extension will give him peace of mind and will allow him to focus on the job at hand.

Is that job to lose games? Because I can do it for the club dirt cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back