Review Cats beat Lions by 10 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First - congrats to Rich on 250 games, he's one of those players we'd all love to have in our team

But as Daz said, some wins aren't pretty and that was the case tonight

We knew earlier in the week that we'd be missing our captain, in a late change that surprised no one Ratugolea missed, but it was only late this afternoon we found out our general in defence would also be missing

Those forced changes saw mixed results for the players who not just took their spot in the 22 but also the switches that were made across the field

- Henry stepped up as the defensive general in waiting. He was given a difficult task tonight with being asked to play tall, but it's one he grabbed with both hands as he stepped up to the challenge

- Blicavs returned to a role we've long seen him play over recent years, that as ruck support to Stanley & playing further to the ground. While it hasn't been a poor start to the season for Blitz, he played his best match for the season with the freedom allowed when shifted out of defence

With his performance tonight, it yet again raises the question our ideal #2 or support ruck is anyway already in the 22 with Blicavs, and if instead our focus should be in finding a KPD

So not pretty, but we take the 4 points & turn our focus to Easter Monday

Blitz is our best 2nd ruck (miles ahead of sav) but we also need him in defence. Pity hendo isnt still on the list we need a kpd.

Excellent game from Blicavs. He had a real crack (8 tackles) and played like a player who had confidence but was also aware of his limitations.
yes , but pushing forward is not the best option when it comes to goal kicking. Just can't kick for goal.

Went to the foxfooty postgame.

They talked a little bit about the free kick but Browny said even as a big Brisbane fan that they didn't deserve to win. Reiwoldt praising us saying how complete we played and the scoreline doesn't reflect that.

Much less hyperbole.

I love to see defenders back themselves to take the mark, and not instinctively spoil. De Koning backed himself a couple of times and it was a very promising sign
Spot on. I think the only time he didn’t go for the grab was in the last quarter when he was absolutely stuffed from a contest and run back and just nailed it out of bounds.

Also thought Narkle was just okay in the first half and lacked intensity, but thought he was very good in the third and really should have had 2 goals. Hope he pulls up okay.
Narkle knows how to get to the right spots and get to the footy but when he gets it, unfortunately it’s turnover city. I think he’s lost confidence and that’s it. He’s capable. Hope he recovers quickly because while I was cursing all night at him, he can play if he finds that confidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SDK - we’ve found our next superstar. I’m convinced he’ll be a top 2 key defender in the AFL in 3 yrs.

Close would be leading our bnf. Would not be surprised if he made AA this year

Hawkins + Cameron combo have so much synergy. If they are fit and in form in September it can actually give us a shot

Holmes reminds me of a previous no. 9 with his appetite for the contest and clean ground level skills

I didnt think it was that ugly either. Cats had the want and hunt. They certainly won the eye test. Dominant second half just couldn't get the connectivity happening in that third.
Does our goal kicking efforts count as ugly?

Loved our effort tonight, and we showed that maybe we have slightly more depth than some would give us credit for - just wish we were cleaner in front of goal and didn't leave it until late to secure the 4 points

Miers was very good in the last 1/4. After some ordinary contributions earlier on, he stepped up.

He did some good things and I don’t like targeting Geelong players but it is factual that he backs out of 3-4 contests a game at least - not in my team once everyone is back - it’s the afl you have to be willing to go when it’s your turn

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just wish we were cleaner in front of goal and didn't leave it until late to secure the 4 points
Stengle's miss from 15 out directly in front was Matthew Richardson like. Pretty bad.
Neale 30, O;Connor 22. I didn't think Neale was that effective to be honest. Quite a few nothing possessions. It was worth the tag I think.
I think we need to invest in a hard tagger for the future until we have a top-tier competitive midfield again. It'll help cut down on the efficacy of midfields like Melbourne, Bulldogs, Brisbane, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back