Review Cats defeat gallant Pies by 6 points to get into another PF

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems so. He looked very sore.

I would have him permanently sacked for the brain fades too.

He was terrible even before he got injured. Was a blessing in disguise he went off. O’Connor was shaky with his first couple of touches but solid after. Had some good moments.

He's been a much maligned player across his career to date, but I'm an unashamed Guthrie Jnr fan from early on, and like he did in last year's prelim he just presents as a player who wants to be playing at this time of year

Thought he was our best on early and through to half time - he was taking intercept marks, there was a willingness to back himself and take the game on when others were maybe a bit more hesitant or still trying to get a feel for the game

But there's two passages I really loved from tonight, and neither is likely to have been shown during the coverage or make the highlights reel:
- 2nd quarter Holmes makes the run down tackle on Daicos, there's a little bit afterwards there's a 50m penalty to go with it. Holmes gets up & gets on his bike, at the same time Guthrie comes from the defensive 50 to make sure Daicos knows what he's just done - he didn't cross the line or risk an overturned free kick, but made his presence felt

- 4th quarter, probably about 10 minutes to go and he starts directing traffic in the backline; could see him being vocal with teammates and pointing with where teammates needed to go or an option to kick to and there was a real maturity to it

This is a player who's not long played 50 games which took him 6 seasons to do, and has long been seen by many as being on the fringes - even during the first quarter I swear someone called for him to be dropped

To me, there's a composure to his game, a level of maturity we don't always see from 50 gamers and a little something that makes him more valuable than just a fringe player - a leader in the making, while already displaying some of those intangible things you just want to see

IMO Zuthrie seems to have licence to play a peel off, sweeping role and really relishing it. This has the additional benefit as opposition are focused on making our key defensive sweeper Stewart much more accountable, taking him out of the play.

I’m a little surprised that opposition haven’t tried to isolate Zuthrie deep forward because I think his light frame could be exploited but in all other facets Zach has all the attributes. Great story of belief and confidence by the player and club. Big contract increase I suspect!

There’s a disproportionate amount of reasonable Pies fans in this thread. It was absolutely feral at the ground.
yeah - they were feral - I was in standing room in the AFL reserve and there were a lot of drunk maggie ferals around me. They were passionate, but they were loud, but they weren't objectional and after the match they offered me congrats. Good traditional footy environment.

Most objectional foul comments I heard came from Rex Hunt in the pie shop at half-time.

He was terrible even before he got injured. Was a blessing in disguise he went off. O’Connor was shaky with his first couple of touches but solid after. Had some good moments.
The one where he stood still in front of the goal line and allowed himself to be tackled rather than rush it.

the mask firing squad GIF

So Rhys didn’t go on for the last 15m of the game. Just watching the last 2 minutes (why wouldnt I!) and he is looking at CS as if asking to go back on after the final goal…

Kudos to Scott for putting his foot down and dragging him

Honestly Stanley's performance has really soured the victory for me. I was listening to triple m and I reckon there was at least 3 occasions where they were like "Stanley had to go there but he just didnt"

In a final. Sickening.

Great game

Great result

But my doubts still remain on some old issues.

- How does Kolo get picked, the non rushed behind in the goal square sums him up. A dead set liability in big games.

- Can the team move the footy and score when facing elite pressure from the opposition.

- Dangerfield is just a poor kick and let's us down consistently. Love all other aspects of his game, but he does frustrate.

- First touch fumble, Bews the number 1 offender

- Smith is a great runner but is not clean with disposal in attacking forays, missing targets and is an average kick for goal.

- Stanley was soft again but has had a much improved season. Need the other Stanley to appear in the next game.

I think we may struggle in a preliminary final against Melbourne. These above issues have been around for a long time and going on last night's game, not a lot has changed.

Hope I'm wrong, but it feels like Groundhog Day, not Fathers Day.

Hardly the kind of difference people are making it out to be. It was a minor defeat in the ruck and barely had any influence on the game.

It wasnt the margin by which he was beaten but the fact that stanley had zero intensity at all. Bring that against gawn and he could have one of his matchwinning games for melb. Effort is non negotiable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell were you watching?
Henry had a mare but besides one or two touches Duncan was reliable. When he took that mark i50 didn't even question if he could miss and it was a goal at a valuable time.

There was also a contest on the wing where he got an arm in and turned a 50/50 ball into a clearance, and a 3v2 on the hbf where him and Stewart killed the ball where had it got out it was a clear Pies goal.

I saw hundreds of Pie fans on the concourse going in and leaving and there wasn't anything even slightly like bad behavior.

Yup.
They have their fair share of ferals (although nothing like the saturation of richmond...) but largely are a good supporter base.
Even here on BF, there's a few nuffies that carry on with BS but there's been plenty in here to drop off some nice words after a heart wrenching final, good on them.

Great game

Great result

But my doubts still remain on some old issues.

- How does Kolo get picked, the non rushed behind in the goal square sums him up. A dead set liability in big games.

- Can the team move the footy and score when facing elite pressure from the opposition.

- Dangerfield is just a poor kick and let's us down consistently. Love all other aspects of his game, but he does frustrate.

- First touch fumble, Bews the number 1 offender

- Smith is a great runner but is not clean with disposal in attacking forays, missing targets and is an average kick for goal.

- Stanley was soft again but has had a much improved season. Need the other Stanley to appear in the next game.

I think we may struggle in a preliminary final against Melbourne. These above issues have been around for a long time and going on last night's game, not a lot has changed.

Hope I'm wrong, but it feels like Groundhog Day, not Fathers Day.

Think Kolo’s now got to be left out. He can’t be relied upon.

I think/hope we will be better for that experience. In the past we would have rolled over but didn’t this time. I’m confident we’ll put a much better performance together in a fortnight.

Dangerfield isn’t the player of 5 years ago. He was still a massive physical presence yesterday. His field kicking isn’t great but when him and Selwood both came on in the first after starting on the bench they changed the momentum.

Wasn’t Bews best game. Similarly Henry. Hopefully better next time.

Smith, particularly early, struggled I thought with the pace of the game. He still played his part.

Stanley continues to be an enigma. But if he dishes up that garbage against Gawn we will get slaughtered.

I saw hundreds of Pie fans on the concourse going in and leaving and there wasn't anything even slightly like bad behavior.
Yeah packed in like sardines at Richmond station after the game, no issues. Wouldn't happen in some sports, or even with some AFL teams (tigers, crows, Eagles, blues)

It wasnt the margin by which he was beaten but the fact that stanley had zero intensity at all. Bring that against gawn and he could have one of his matchwinning games for melb. Effort is non negotiable.
I don’t believe in judging effort/intensity from the stands. That’s full nuffy stuff.

Was very lucky not to be paid HTB. There were others too. He just doesn’t have the composure to be a defender in finals.
Thankfully he handballed it through but like 4 hours later than he should have!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back