Review Cats drop Bombers by 45 at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone tell me what the Tom Willis award is? Connection of the name?

The player judged best on ground between Geelong + Essendon will receive the Tom Wills Award. He is credited with founding Australian rules football, as a winter pastime for cricketers. Wills attended Rugby School + captained the school in cricket + was their finest rugby player. "He learned three things at Rugby: how to play the nascent game of rugby, how to become one of the finest young cricketers in England, and how to drink beer."

In 1861, Wills was part of a group of White Settlers, 19 of whom were slaughtered, including his father. As an act of national healing, Wills created aboriginal cricket team. This aboriginal cricket team travelled to England, the first ever cricket team Australia sent to England.

The development of Australian Rules + Marngrook's influence is still hotly debated by Historians. Wills, observed a game of 'Marn Grook' in the 1840s + thought it would be an ideal way for Australian cricketers to keep fit during winter. "This claim is largely based on circumstantial evidence that Tom Wills, one of the game's pioneers, gained exposure to Marngrook while growing up amongst Aboriginal people" in NSW Bush (before it became Victoria).

The denial of Marngrook's influence is considered to be the continuing denial of Aboriginal history.

Finally Tom Wills established the Geelong Football Club + the Melbourne Football Club.

There's 11 judges, and come seasons end they award votes as per

The max number of votes a player can receive is 55 - it's essentially based on hoe judges view each player's season
Can they vote for the ineligible players? I know they don't count, but in the Brownlow, even after suspensions, they still receive votes.

Can they vote for the ineligible players? I know they don't count, but in the Brownlow, even after suspensions, they still receive votes.

Ineligible players can’t receive Rising Star votes. In related news….

IMG_4015.jpeg

1) This Cat is in pole position to win the Telstra Rising Star​

Yet another uncovered gem in Geelong's rich recruiting history, former basketballer Ollie Dempsey has taken a couple of years to find his feet at the top level, but has burst onto the scene in his third season. Dempsey was matched up with a relatively inexperienced winger in Essendon forward Harry Jones on Saturday night and ran the Bomber off his feet, playing a key role in keeping the Cats in touch in the first half and kicking two goals of his own. Harley Reid and Sam Darcy are ineligible for the Rising Star due to suspension, while George Wardlaw is missing two games with concussion, opening the door for the young Cat to be crowned the best young player in the game. – Sarah Black

The player judged best on ground between Geelong + Essendon will receive the Tom Wills Award. He is credited with founding Australian rules football, as a winter pastime for cricketers. Wills attended Rugby School + captained the school in cricket + was their finest rugby player. "He learned three things at Rugby: how to play the nascent game of rugby, how to become one of the finest young cricketers in England, and how to drink beer."

In 1861, Wills was part of a group of White Settlers, 19 of whom were slaughtered, including his father. As an act of national healing, Wills created aboriginal cricket team. This aboriginal cricket team travelled to England, the first ever cricket team Australia sent to England.

The development of Australian Rules + Marngrook's influence is still hotly debated by Historians. Wills, observed a game of 'Marn Grook' in the 1840s + thought it would be an ideal way for Australian cricketers to keep fit during winter. "This claim is largely based on circumstantial evidence that Tom Wills, one of the game's pioneers, gained exposure to Marngrook while growing up amongst Aboriginal people" in NSW Bush (before it became Victoria).

The denial of Marngrook's influence is considered to be the continuing denial of Aboriginal history.

Finally Tom Wills established the Geelong Football Club + the Melbourne Football Club.
There is no evidence that the aboriginal game often called Marngrook influenced the development of Australian Rules football. Marngrook is nothing like the game as played in the 1850/60s.

In Rohan's post game interview, was asked if Scott delivered a stern message at half time. Rohan laughed + added Scott has never told them off. Then said he'd love Scott would rip them apart because it would be really funny.

Rohan's 200th game coming up, hopefully next week at home against Poos+Wees.

Rohan joked that Humphries had 50 tickets for his debut + other player's family couldn't go to game, so he's going to ask for 50 tickets for his 200th.

He's terrific to interview, just a great guy.
Yes I saw that from Rohan, that tracks with Chris Scott. I don’t usually watch much of the aftermatch stuff, he seemed a little nervous, Gary, like he doesn’t do them much at all, but he seemed genuine.

Maybe all that was required from the coaches was a little bit of vision, or the players self-corrected. Either way it was a good response.

There is no evidence that the aboriginal game often called Marngrook influenced the development of Australian Rules football. Marngrook is nothing like the game as played in the 1850/60s.

Has in common the mechanics of the drop punt, among other things.
What definitely is unimaginable today (possibly except for coaches votes) is
"A winner could only be declared if one of the sides agreed that the other side had played better"
I think beautiful testament to the spirit of Aboriginal Communities.

Didn’t notice that but his kicking is elite, guy is a natural footballer, one of the more impressive debuts we’ve had in years. I think he’ll do fine under pressure.
A fantastic tennis player too.

Heard somewhere Humphries doesn't have a dominant foot, uses both equally well.

Bombers 2 rucks had 57 hit outs. Geelong had 24.

Nothing interesting about it. We were smashed in the ruck again.
I will keep raising this tweet until it sinks in. Hitouts are a shit stat, meaningless almost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's where the heated debate between historians manifests.

Wills is supposed to have seen Marngrook in 1840 + adapted it with Rugby (Union for Victorians, who call NRL Rugby).

Anyhoooo, my post was to give a broad summary of information, some of which I obtained from Aboriginal websites.

Bunch of sooks. Their meek capitulation had plenty more impact than the umps calls.
Sums up where that club is at. All excuses. When they bringing Hird back.

You have better memory on these things than me but have you ever seen Pat be this animated - in a happy way? He looked like an excited kid (actually mirror of what I have come to expect from Ollie?). Wonder why? Just curious. Happy to see it - although maybe he is often like this and I haven’t noticed?

1719744179242.jpeg

I've never even heard of Humphries.
wow his running was fantastic for a first gamer. He was gut running everywhere and he's got some skills.
His gait immediately reminded me of Motlop but endurance wise I'd say he has Motlop well covered.
Pretty well covered in the application area too, from the sounds of it .. Looks like another keeper.

Watching the replay - Dale Thomas is actually embarrassing and unprofessional during the call.
“That’s 50 as well, the cats are getting away with a lot here”

Bullshit. There was a few iffy calls but that’s all he spoke about for the entire quarter.
Even Ling joined the pile on. We got the rub of the green in that game but I say about time, after a few shockers.
Glad to see the karma dial shift a little in our favour.

The thing about umpiring is that every side has games where it seems like the umpiring has gone against them and they've gotten dodgy calls paid for the opposition while the opposition gets away with murder. It's happened to us plenty.

When the result is close, it's natural to look at key umpiring errors or misses and say that's cost us the game.

But Essendon dropped their head, went into their shell and capitulated to the tune of 45 points. For a start, if you're a seriously good team, most of those badly umpired games actually aren't losses; they're just a blemish on the game. In addition, if you're a good side, you don't drop your bundle completely; umpires or no, you don't kick 2 goals to 10 in a half. The umpiring is a very lame excuse for that kind of performance.

We got some dodgy umpiring last week against Carlton, but it would be incredibly naive to think that had anything to do with the result in a game where we were comprehensively outplayed, and the same applies to the Dons this week.

Last edited:
Brad needs to keep backing himself when around the goals

I wish Close got more of the ball because he is so good with it. Is mega elite for retention on inside 50 kicks, goal assists (despite being low on disposal numbers) and goal kicking accuracy this season. We need to get him involved as much as possible. Imagine if we somehow got him as prolific at ball winning as Miers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back