Autopsy Cats lose to Blues by 8 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawk was always going to start the season slowly but he’s started it reaaaaaally slowly… don’t know if I’ve seen him outside F50 in either game when he’s probably our best field kick. Means Jez is trying to do it all himself - a brilliant game tonight but he needs support. Can only hope Hawk turns the corner quickly.

Was really impressed with Bowes despite the missed goal, he looks classy and dare I say Duncan-esque down back.

Injuries are just smashing us, all of Tuohy, SDK, Stanley, Cameron, Esava feeling the effects tonight. Don’t know if I’ve ever seen two games in a row where we’ve been tested like this in terms of in game injures.

Despite all that, we won the 🏆 six months ago, so life remains good!

That was 6 months ago.
Killed it?
OH has played 2 decent games.
Bowes 1
Clark not yet.
But our missing quartet is irreplaceable.
Yeah I hate how the commentators say we are a great team and they know we will keep coming… WE WERE a great team LAST YEAR… actually this year we are not … same as 2012 commentating on history ! Except M. Malthouse who called it early as a 7 commentator… said cats don’t have the spread and not a threat… he was right! Bitter about 11? Maybe but was right!

Apart from the result, a couple of things I found pretty disappointing about tonight:

1. We played the debutant Whyte as the sub and only gave the kid a quarter of footy. Team normally lifts around a first-game player, because they know they have to set the standard. In a way they did in that 4th - but it was too little too late.

2. How many times did we seem to let the blues get out the front of stoppages far too easily? That was an absolute killer for the the defenders. Whatever set up they had going on in the centre, definitely wasn't working and we were far too slow to change it up.

27 degrees in the Gold Coast next week how will that test the cats fitness? … fox footy… boy oh boy…
Factored into my thoughts that we start at 1-3 after 4 games. A 2pm game in peak heat...we are nowhere near primed yet.

heard reports that hawkins was limping around sore on wednesday at training... needs to be removed from the team for a period and a reset.

get the man right.
Nah. Corked calf. Won’t get worse by playing. Needs the fitness.

As usual, the fringe players and young players cop the flak. Turn your attention to Danger and Cuthrie. Seriously average tonight. Great players but they aren't ammune from criticism.

We are heavily reliant on those two in the middle and we won't be massively successful unless at least one of them fires. They will lift, but neither have performed to expectations in the first two rounds so far.

Cameron again showing hes worth and he is fast challenging Ottens on the best value trade we've ever had. Coughed up a lot for him but looking like a bargain now.

Bowes and Bruhn will be fine, but tonight is a reminder that these guys have come from expansion clubs, playing in front of 20 people every week. They will be better for the experience playing at the MCG in front of big crowds. Both showed poor composure in the last qtr, but they will be better for the exposure.

I thought Smith and Holmes were great and provided lots of run. Smith, what can you say, what a pick-up as an UFA. He's playing as well as he ever has. Genius list management call to bring him in.

Old?
Sore?
No doubt the age factor will be reality in these early weeks after the joy and effort of 22.

Tuohy had a concussion test in Q1 after a heavy hit when he marked on the back flank early in the game. Radio said he passed the test but had to sit out the mandatory 15 mins so missed most of the first quarter.

You will learn a bit about posters who throw toys from the cot at this point. But to the game…

Similar to last week there were periods where we looked in control and moved the ball well. It was when there was a turnover that we looked completely flat footed and incapable of the “team defence” that delivered the 2022 flag.

Stanley has been “just going” in the ruck and then cops a knock leaving Blicavs to do it alone. gulp now we see Spudler next week I guess. We will be even weaker for it. Stanley at least drops back in the hole. Ceglar covers the ground like the fumes from a geriatric snail.

oops. Hit post too soon

Midfidfield clearly going poorly. I think we started slowly last year too so I’m not too worried but we will need more from senior players if the likes of Bruhn and Bowes are to be able to play effective support roles. While on the topic, Bruhn was largely invisible and Bowes prone to error. I think and hope both are capable of better.

Geelong defence has always been about team defence and not the six players named. Again I think we had similar issues early last year where the system wasn’t working and opposition forwards found themselves standing alone inside 50 all too frequently. Personnel back will help some but clearly the system isn’t tuned (yet?) either.

If we can scrap a way to 3-2 and then even 3-3 or 4-2 we will be in OK position. No need to panic yet.

We have GC, Hawks and Wet Toast the next 3 games. We should really win all 3 and be 3-2 before the GF remacth vs the Swans at KP. Then we have Essendon and Crows at home. So I think we can go 5-1 if we play some good footy over that period (probably lose to Swans) and then we look ok at 5-3, similar to last year we went 5-4 at some point.

Really? He was the only Cat that looked like getting clearances IMO. Perhaps means he was too inside.
Umm. Look I often miss a lot of, let's say Duncan's disposals, but I seriously can't remember Dangerfield with that number.

We are gonna leak a lot of goals with Esava down there... He's no Mal Michael. Anyway he crashes a few packs, always entertaining. Though I really worry about collateral damage with Esava in the backline, as the Yanks would say when they bomb countries lol...

I thought of a dumb thing last night, a very weird observation. I wonder with Esava, because he kind of stands out with his colour in geelong gear with away shorts, he sort of looks obvious to the eye when he's harassing his opponent as a defender. When Harry Taylor used to do it with his opponent, it sort of blended in the background. You know it's kind of like the Woewodin effect when he dyed his hair bright blonde and then he won a Brownlow. Anyway, my eyes may be playing tricks on me, but Esava looks more obvious to the eye with all his actions (positive or negative). It's definitely not a racial thing what I'm saying, its just when someone looks different to the others, they stand out more (positive or negative). That's what I think. Anyway, I'll need to assess how many free-kicks he gives away in defence over the coming weeks to come to a final conclusion, it's just an early observation. These things are less an issue in the forward line for example, because you're the one attacking, rather than harassing/defending.

Would explain the soft free paid against him against McKay in the 1st quarter - had his arm loosely draped over McKay and was pinged, Esava rightfully looked filthy (which was good to see). Hawkins is lucky to get one of those once a leap year.

Bad way to start the year. We looked like the cats of 2014-2021:
  • Bombing the ball into our F50, only to get intercepted or brought away by the Blues’ runners
  • Lots of simple turnovers
  • Our tackles not sticking
  • Etc
This has been huge the last couple of games. Even when we've got to opposition players (which hasn't been often enough), their ability to still release the ball forward has been extremely costly. Carlton goals resulted tonight from 'Teflon' efforts by Miers and then an absolute howler from Jed.

For me, that's just a lack of intensity, pure and simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would explain the soft free paid against him against McKay in the 1st quarter - had his arm loosely draped over McKay and was pinged, Esava rightfully looked filthy (which was good to see). Hawkins is lucky to get one of those once a leap year.

Hawk would have kicked 1200 career goals if he got some of the soft free kicks other key forwards always seem to.

He is way more noticeable... It can work the other way with Esava too, with free-kicks for.

Factored into my thoughts that we start at 1-3 after 4 games. A 2pm game in peak heat...we are nowhere near primed yet.
Ironically I think a day game may be better than night, the humidity really goes up there when the sun goes down.

Either way, when the fixture came out round 3 concerned me because the Suns often start seasons well.

They were crap last week from what I've read, so a big watch on them this week

A lack of intensity for the first 3 quarters and easy goals given away from basic skill errors cost us the match. You can’t play a quarter of footy and expect to win.

Jury is out on Bruhn. Not sure he’s a plug and play type for us. Has some ability but just doesn’t win enough of the footy.

Tuohy’s turnovers killed us tonight. Not sure whether he thought he was playing against u12’s?

C.Guthrie superb in the last 1/4 (12 possessions) but where was the desire in the first 3? And some woeful turnovers by foot too that we never would have seen last year.
I think what we saw last year was how well the coaching group can get us to play with the pieces of the puzzle in the right spots. 2021 finals we had guys out and last year we had a clean bill of health and it showed. So far it seems like if the piece looks close to fitting jam it in there and hope for the best.

To many knock on effects atm.
We were playing well against the Pies last week. Holding leads at all 3 breaks only to lose with a goalless quarter but the moving pieces took their toll.

No Henry and Kolo... Esava at FB. O'Connor at HB. Okay it was doing alright first half. Then SDK was hobbled and Stewart went off.
Tuohy to the backline. Zuthrie playing 3rd tall defender.

Continued again tonight. We're getting no intercept marking as 3 of our better interceptors in Stewart, Kolo and Henry are all out and Zuthrie has to play a more serious and close checking role. First knock on is O'Connor and Tuohy instead of rotating between each other from HBF and Wing are now both in defence. So less run and carry. Miers and Close look down as well which doesn't help with that.

No Stewart and Duncan is inhibiting our kicking skills. Massive missing two of our best kicks from the back half.
Guthrie, Danger and Atkins also can't get going so far in the middle which is providing an understrength back line with no assistance.

We just need to be patient IMO. When we get pieces back into their right positions we will be very very hard to beat again.

P.S. Can you imagine the mood in here if we were 0-2 with Selwood retired but not as reigning premiers. It would be far more angry and aggressive in here.

I think what we saw last year was how well the coaching group can get us to play with the pieces of the puzzle in the right spots. 2021 finals we had guys out and last year we had a clean bill of health and it showed. So far it seems like if the piece looks close to fitting jam it in there and hope for the best.

We were playing well against the Pies last week. Holding leads at all 3 breaks only to lose with a goalless quarter but the moving pieces took their toll.

No Henry and Kolo... Esava at FB. O'Connor at HB. Okay it was doing alright first half. Then SDK was hobbled and Stewart went off.

Continued again tonight. We're getting no intercept marking as 3 of our better interceptors in Stewart, Kolo and Henry are all out and Zuthrie has to play a more serious and close checking role. First knock on is O'Connor and Tuohy instead of rotating between each other from HBF and Wing are now both in defence. So less run and carry. Miers and Close look down as well which doesn't help with that.

No Stewart and Duncan is inhibiting our kicking skills. Massive missing two of our best kicks from the back half.
Guthrie, Danger and Atkins also can't get going so far in the middle which is providing an understrength back line with no assistance.

We just need to be patient IMO. When we get pieces back into their right positions we will be very very hard to beat again.

P.S. Can you imagine the mood in here if we were 0-2 with Selwood retired but not as reigning premiers. It would be far more angry and aggressive in here.

Great post 👍

Thankyou Jeremy Cameron 4 quarters of amazing work. His effort is something we have to take note of!

True that, exactly all your points above, PLUS that we are premiers, and no Selwood- everything points to, in my pov, what we are seeing at present.

Thought Bowes was one of few positives, missed an easy set shot which would have been icing on the cake but was one of our best overall, went on ball in the last and actually looked like he had fhe capacity to win first possession.
His versatility stood out to me. Didn't look out of place on the backline or having a run through the middle of the ground. It was only when he got to within 25 metres of goal that he looked all at sea.

:disappointed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back