Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are baying for blood I recommend you don’t watch Scott’s presser. Hawkins is being played because he’s important to the structure and would be doing the same amount of work as matches (i.e. in training) if they left him out. Sounds like Kolo and Duncan back next week. We are going to get something like:

In: Kolo, Duncan
Out: SDK, Bruhn

Don‘t know about Stanley/Ceglar. I will be shocked if anyone else is dropped based on Scott’s presser.

Ceglar was as useless as a chocolate teapot yesterday.

It's quite amazing how the perennial punching bags are our best players atm.

Zuthrie, Miers, and Bews imo have been the most consistent over the first 3 rounds.

I'm still not sold on the Sav experiment as well. Alawys just looks like Bambi on ice. Almost in the forward line is ok. Almost in the backline costs you games.

It's harsh, but him going down and us going on a 16 game streak to a flag was no co-incidence..

On a positive: How awesome was tom stewart yesterday. Shouldnt of even been playing. 30 possessions, 558 metres gained, took some fantastic marks and continously sweeping up the defence. Would of lost by more than 8 goals if he didnt play yesterday.
He had 24 kicks and at least 18 of them would have been 15-20 metre dinks to a player going nowhere. May not have been any other options but shows a lack of an attacking mindset.

Conway is still only 19 & just into his second season - no doubt they want him as the main man, but they're also looking long term with him because they'll want him as the main guy for the next decade. They aren't going to rush him back from his foot hotspot, and will want him to be right before he plays this year

Wouldn't be surprising to see Stanley go around again in 2024, and all going well with Conway we start to see a transitioning of our rucks

As for Neale, he doesn't look close to a #1 ruck option and more likely that if he is to be used in the ruck at both VFL & AFL level it's as a #2, providing support & a chop out
Thanks for the update. I have absolutely no idea what goes on in the VFL. I wasn't aware of Conway's foot issue.

I've only seen Neale play once, and that was last year, live at Adelaide Oval versus Port. He didn't look good at all.

Stanley played a blinder, and then he was subbed off (to my initial confusion as I had no idea what was going on). We nearly lost the game, had it not been for Atkins' heroics.

Where is Neale going to be best suited? Forward and chop-in ruck?

Or option#3 - full match in the seniors
I think Rohan goes back to 4 qtrs.

My read of Scott’s riddles (for FWIIW) is that he will stick with those he has “trust in” which means the changes will be amongst the new boys. I had heard they were tossing up Henry or Rohan for sub…wouldn’t be surprised if they swap this week. Also think they will give Bruhn a go in the VFL. I don’t think that is particularly fair but understand he wants to back his premiership players to turn form around against a couple of “easy beats”…

They can move guthrie back to middle with Duncan coming back

So for me it will be

Out: SDK, Bruhn, Henry (to sub)
In: Rohan, Kolo, Duncan

I wouldn’t mind another change to give a small forward a chance back in VFL but I don’t think that will happen this week…

On a positive: How awesome was tom stewart yesterday. Shouldnt of even been playing. 30 possessions, 558 metres gained, took some fantastic marks and continously sweeping up the defence. Would of lost by more than 8 goals if he didnt play yesterday.
I couldn't believe my eyes when somebody here said he was poor. First game back, probably premature, he was one of our only winners. A couple of his 30 possessions not being accurate - that was the last of our problems performance wise across the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had 24 kicks and at least 18 of them would have been 15-20 metre dinks to a player going nowhere. May not have been any other options but shows a lack of an attacking mindset.
He at least intercepted, repelled attacks and generally kept possession. More than we could say for any other player with defensive duties on the weekend.

Thanks for the update. I have absolutely no idea what goes on in the VFL. I wasn't aware of Conway's foot issue.

I've only seen Neale play once, and that was last year, live at Adelaide Oval versus Port. He didn't look good at all.

Stanley played a blinder, and then he was subbed off (to my initial confusion as I had no idea what was going on). We nearly lost the game, had it not been for Atkins' heroics.

Where is Neale going to be best suited? Forward and chop-in ruck?
Neale is proving to be a forward only in my mind. They put him in ruck for a lot of yesterday (given ball wasn’t coming up to forward line) but he isn’t good at contests unless he is leading hard to the ball. Got towelled up by GS back up ruck.

Neale should get a number of games this year as they look to get Hawke right

And/or lack of gut running up the ground. I think that has been the biggest change this year - not the run and play on…which to me is more about effort than anything else

Out: SDK, Bruhn, Henry (to sub)
In: Rohan, Kolo, Duncan

If Bruhn is out we should give Parfitt a game. Don't mind the idea of Henry as sub, I posted yesterday that we can't play him and Hawkins together with Hawk's current lack of mobility.

OUT: SDK, Ceglar, Bruhn, another senior player managed (Tuohy?), Henry (sub)
IN: Kolodjashnij, Stanley, Rohan, Duncan, Parfitt

I would go Neale for Hawkins too but Scott seemingly ruled that out post-game saying even in his current state Hawk is vital for structure.

The plan is to start slowly and build up the team.
How else do you explain the team being so unprepared?
I don’t think the team expected to be 0-3.
Slow start yes but they would have expected to have at least 1 win on the board.

They just look so slow and unfit at the moment with no desire at all.
And it’s something I don’t think can be fixed quickly.

Last edited:
Scott is no doubt a very astute coach.

But he draws wildly opposing reactions from me during his pressers. Sometimes I sit back and admire his insight and knowledge, and am grateful he coaches our club.

Other times he comes across to me like a smarmy, greasy used car salesman. Too smug sometimes.
I did lol at that.

Actually I think the performance over the last 3 weeks just shows what a perfect year last year was and how well managed the team was to claim the ultimate prize. Geelong has defied gravity for so long but I always sensed it would end with Selwood and Hawkins.

I think he genuinely believes it and so he should. Scott has always had supreme faith in his team even when outsiders can’t see it — without that faith, we don’t trade significant draft capital for Cameron, we don’t pick up Smith as a FA, we don’t win it last year.

Scott would be looking at our three losses and the fact we’ve been in all three games with 10 mins to go despite so many things going wrong and playing to about 20% of our capabilities. He’d be looking at Hawkins being so underdone, SDK being banged up from basically the opening bounce of R1, a handful of premiership players missing every week etc.

We are months out from talking about finals possibilities but I imagine Scott would firmly believe we would win the flag from 8th if it came to it.

As an aside I suspect we will be slammed by media this week - David King has already started it - and I expect whatever percentage of our slow start is due to complacency to not be an issue on Monday.
Good post

And/or lack of gut running up the ground. I think that has been the biggest change this year - not the run and play on…which to me is more about effort than anything else
It's not about effort. The lads are not match fit. They don't have the energy for gut running.

Being at the game yesterday, effort is not the issue. But even if I wasn't at the game, effort is never going to be the issue with professional athletes.

The boys were hungry, and they were shattered after the game. Heads lowered. Clearly deeply embarrassed. Despite what we all think, no one cares more that the Cats lost yesterday than the Cats themselves. But if you don't have the energy during a game, then you simply do not have the energy.

We messed up our pre-season. We're looking to peak at the end of the season, but we've done so in a way that has meant the boys are comically underdone at the start of the season. The issue is our program. We nailed it last year. We didn't nail it this year. It happens.

Forever grateful for our flag last year. No complaints from me.

The coaching group is deeply clever and will make the best choices going forward. But, at the end of the day, if we are not match fit, there is little to be done about out it now except ride it out until we build up that fitness as the season goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back