Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

I have watched some of the vfl, but not as close as some. So I have a question: has mannagh’s defensive game always been this good at vfl level or has it developed?

Pure_Ownage could this be the reason he was made to stay in the magoos so long? Ie. you won’t get a game until you become a 2-way player?

Scott seemed to be hinting at this in his post match comments last night regarding wanting him to play a role in both vfl and afl and defense being most important.

That said if it was the coaches view i would disagree with it ie i think he couls have been doing this for us in round 6. To answer your question mannagh has never been terrible defensively at vfl level (not like say henry) hes been decent, is an offensive weapon but always scraps for groundballs and tackles well. Last night he was definitely more like an animal than ive seen though. But i think he would have given us that a while ago the opportunity to play 3-4 games in a row and nail it just hasnt been there.

Are we concerned about Danger being subbed? I was at the game and know nothing..

Just an old guy being managed. Hes our most important player so it makes sense.

So pleased for Mannagh but also very pleased for the coaching staff.

He was rightly dropped after a bad game against the Crows. Only 9 pressure acts, well below the rest of the team. The coaches probably said, in your role you can’t play in this side until you bring the pressure. You are in the VFL until we see you bring the pressure - consistently. That’s what good coaches do. It was clear from Scotty’s press conference that it wasn’t goals they were focused on for Mannagh.

Well, he certainly listened to them. Absolutely love this club. They make it clear to players what they need to do.

The other thing about this win is the future. We had more youngsters compared to the Hawks. I thought we would drop off a cliff without Hawkins but Neale will be more than good. Some of those marks were very impressive. Sure he drops some but so do all forwards. He’s only 21, well off his peak.

I’m loving SDK and Stewart in the middle. Stewart will learn midfield fast. He has a big solid body and speed. He and Danger suddenly make us such a fast midfield.

On paper our run home is ridiculously soft. We only play the Pies and Freo in the top 4 from now until the end of the season. That’s a top 4 finish right there!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Im not sure it really required 13 weeks to learn that though. And if we miss a home final by a game or two (which we may well do) we are probably going to regret not reinstating him earlier. But i take your point.

The position where he kicked 21 goals in the first 11 games this year adding to the 41 last year? Yeah I’m sure they really fear his lack of talent putting him back there. 🤣

Thank goodness the pros are making the decisions here.
I don't think anyone argues his talent and ability to kick goals, but we delisted Menzel averaging 2 goals a game because he didn't fit. The question isn't his talent or ability, it's where do you fit him in the front 6?

Throwing SDK into the ruck against his big brother was a psychological masterstroke. He got smashed, and the coach left him there, getting smashed. Second half and SDK looked angry, and he started getting into the game. Hasn't looked back since. Cannot wait until we face the Blues again.
He looks like a baby giraffe in the actual ruck contest, which is to be expected considering he is still skinny as a rake and doesn’t have any ruck craft yet.

But, around the ground and as soon as the ball hits the ground at contests he is a weapon. He could be a game changer if he puts on some size and can learn to be competent at the ruck contest.

Wasn’t he demoted from Collingwood side for lack 0f defensive effort? Memory is a bit hazy.
Ash Johnson emerged and started a habit of kicking arsey goals regularly and squeezed Ollie out. Given Elliott and now Mihocek are out, he'd probably be first picked for the forward line for the Pies now. We have to watch the nobodies the Pies bring in and have, and then you had Crisp kick three for the first time in over a decade.

Sometimes you just have to execute. We’ve been guilty of being too sharing with goals and have made poor decisions. Cameron took more than a few shots where he might have passed.

That's the thing - knowing when to take the responsibility to have the shot and when you've got the opportunity to pass it off under the right circumstances, and the latter also applies to players not calling for it

When Neale was awarded the free kick in the second quarter, it would have been good for him to go back and have the shot but as we saw Cameron called for the ball - Cameron in form likely kicks the goal, but with Neale trying to find his way in the team it would have been good to allow him to have the shot himself and take some responsibility

It's about finding the balance

Hawks actually did well to only lose by what they did. 8 players with less than 10 disposals. Absolute pasting.
Totally agree.

Watching the game, the only frustrating part was that we didn’t win by 80. We absolutely smashed them, 55 points doesn’t reflect our dominance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anyone argues his talent and ability to kick goals, but we delisted Menzel averaging 2 goals a game because he didn't fit. The question isn't his talent or ability, it's where do you fit him in the front 6?
Right next to Neale in a forward pocket.

If by "games that matter" he means finals then they haven't won a game that matters in 8 years.
They haven’t played in a game that matters (finals or regular season) for years.

It is the thing I love most about Geelong. We play in meaningful games every year. We are rarely subjected to watching games that have no consequence. It is the best part of being a Geelong fan and most of our fans don’t realise how good we have got it.

Are we concerned about Danger being subbed? I was at the game and know nothing..
I breathed a sigh of relief when they subbed him.

My 2 goals for every Geelong game at the moment are:
1. Geelong win
2. Danger makes it through unscathed.

He is that important to our setup at the moment.

What the actual ****.

Isn’t Cameron meant to be finished?

Our midfield was meant to dominate yours. You telling me I’ve gotta watch Stewart tear us a new one in defense, and now I’ve gotta watch him tear our midfield a new one? He was pick 40 ffs.

I thought you were meant to have the shit De Koning brother.

Wasn’t Bowes going to languish in the VFL?

Who the **** are Close and Neale and why are they making me swear in front of my young children?

Totally outplayed, the pressure and ball movement were elite. We were lucky you didn’t kick straight.

**** I hate Geelong, well played, we will meet again. Respect and enjoy.

You will put the Pies to the sword next week.
I love this post. You seem like someone who genuinely loves the game and not just the tribalism of picking a team. If I ever see you at a game I’ll shout you a beer. Cheers for the laugh. Good luck next week.

Games that matter must refer to games that he’s decided matter. I mean our two finals wins against them just mustn’t count? Such an irrelevant old man
He never mention 63 where they finished top of the ladder in the home and away and were beaten by the Cats 3 times in a month rd18, Semi Final,Grand Final, handing Geelong the flag.:)

Scott seemed to be hinting at this in his post match comments last night regarding wanting him to play a role in both vfl and afl and defense being most important.

That said if it was the coaches view i would disagree with it ie i think he couls have been doing this for us in round 6. To answer your question mannagh has never been terrible defensively at vfl level (not like say henry) hes been decent, is an offensive weapon but always scraps for groundballs and tackles well. Last night he was definitely more like an animal than ive seen though. But i think he would have given us that a while ago the opportunity to play 3-4 games in a row and nail it just hasnt been there.
I think they wanted to bring him back hungry and obviously had some things to work on (huge improvement last night to his first couple). Plus when he comes in to the best 22 someone had to go out so its not always that simple...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back