Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that’s what was lost on some because we got smashed as a team. SDK actually ended up having a pretty good game and he’s only getting better playing in the ruck. He’s an extra mid, plays like he’s 5’11
Great pick up.
Sure he was monstered in the first half by TDK but he went far better after half time in that game.
Ruck craft needs work but he’s had over 20 touches in his 3 games as ruck and is going at a goal a game- that’s elite.
He’s brilliant below his knees and his handball has been superb right from the start.
He looked very comfortable last night - great signs

That's the thing - knowing when to take the responsibility to have the shot and when you've got the opportunity to pass it off under the right circumstances, and the latter also applies to players not calling for it

When Neale was awarded the free kick in the second quarter, it would have been good for him to go back and have the shot but as we saw Cameron called for the ball - Cameron in form likely kicks the goal, but with Neale trying to find his way in the team it would have been good to allow him to have the shot himself and take some responsibility

It's about finding the balance
Agree - I didn’t like that moment.
However I thought we played very selfless footy for the rest of the night and seemed to have our mojo back👍

I wouldn't be surprised if the songs were selected by the players or maybe their teammates as a stitch up

I thought that the intro song from when the team is getting ready to make their approach from the tunnel before running through the banner was used at times also

But if you want "interesting" goal song choices, have a look at the ones chosen by the Lions players:
  • Daniher, Let It Go
  • McCarthy, American Pie
  • Charlie Cameron, Take Me Home, Country Road
  • Answerth, 3AM
  • McInerney, Not Pretty Enough

Full list here https://www.lions.com.au/news/1492758/just-dropped

I don't really pay much attention to the songs being played after a goal, unless it's from one of the Irish lads, but if it's a bit of interaction with the players then go for it

Blimey they don'y choose them off lyrics, do they? Ice Queens, Pretty girls-
Nothing mad and motivational from AC/DC
Hawks would be Yellow. :)

They haven’t played in a game that matters (finals or regular season) for years.

It is the thing I love most about Geelong. We play in meaningful games every year. We are rarely subjected to watching games that have no consequence. It is the best part of being a Geelong fan and most of our fans don’t realise how good we have got it.
Even better, they played in more dead rubbers after round 22 last year than Chris Scott has had as coach in his 13 year tenure

Great pick up.
Sure he was monstered in the first half by TDK but he went far better after half time in that game.
Ruck craft needs work but he’s had over 20 touches in his 3 games as ruck and is going at a goal a game- that’s elite.
He’s brilliant below his knees and his handball has been superb right from the start.
He looked very comfortable last night - great signs
Yeah handballing in tight and under pressure is elite, can’t teach that stuff.

So are you dropping anyone or just playing 8 forwards?

Henry Neale Stengle
Miers Cameron Close
Rohan Mannagh

Mannagh should be playing the wing/MF role.

But that said of that lot id drop rohan.

Mannagh should be playing the wing/MF role.

But that said of that lot id drop rohan.

Either Rohan or Henry sub? Good to have some pressure on spots again.

Hard to see where Cam Guthrie fits into the side again. Would love to see him back to 22 form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So are you dropping anyone or just playing 8 forwards?

Henry Neale Stengle
Miers Cameron Close
Rohan Mannagh
They’ll find a way this week. Might be all 8. Might be one as sub. If we were playing a final this week Henry would play ahead of Mannagh without any question whatsoever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a superb performance. The sort of game that makes you think we're a slight chance of stealing a flag if we put it all together at the right time. The change since half time in the Essendon game has been huge.

I've gotta say SDK to the ruck looks like a genius move. I was resigned to the ruck being a weakness and hoping Blicavs could do the job with Stanley cooked and Conway too young still. But SDK's ground level work is so creative and he was competitive enough in the ruck battle last night.

Great to see Mannagh bring the heat. At that standard we should absolutely play all of the small forwards. Probably pushes Henry out which is ok.

Hard to see where Cam Guthrie fits into the side again. Would love to see him back to 22 form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
After this long out, Cuthrie can only come back into the side if he is fully fit and has played at least 3 games in the VFL. It would be doing the side and him a disservice if we brought him back in underdone.

Given the stage in the season we are at, we should just write him off for this season and hope he is able to contribute in some way next year.

I fear he may be done.

Scott seemed to be hinting at this in his post match comments last night regarding wanting him to play a role in both vfl and afl and defense being most important.

That said if it was the coaches view i would disagree with it ie i think he couls have been doing this for us in round 6. To answer your question mannagh has never been terrible defensively at vfl level (not like say henry) hes been decent, is an offensive weapon but always scraps for groundballs and tackles well. Last night he was definitely more like an animal than ive seen though. But i think he would have given us that a while ago the opportunity to play 3-4 games in a row and nail it just hasnt been there.

Correct. He's been under constant consideration. There was other stuff going down, which called for patience, and it wasn't entirely because there was no spot for him, considering our losses, or he made a mistake in his first game that required re education. I've probably been a bit too subtle, but there's a fine line on what can be said. Anyway, he's in now, so can be judged on what he produces, and enough about what the Club didn't see (they did).

A lot wanted Duncan dropped and then rested over the past fortnight. The MC didn't waver and he's been one of our best players over the last 2 games.

His disposal isn't always perfect these days (but find me which big ball winner in this team's is) but all he needs is a semi-functional team for his strengths to give us an advantage from half back. Mitch remains central to our sling shot game but it doesn't work if our whole side is being swarmed. If we are proactive suddenly he looks good. Having the speedy Holmes and Humphries alongside him has helped too.

Duncan's also had 21 intercepts over the last 3 weeks. Somewhat surprising but maybe the old dog has gotten back a bit of pep in his step.

That was a superb performance. The sort of game that makes you think we're a slight chance of stealing a flag if we put it all together at the right time. The change since half time in the Essendon game has been huge.

I've gotta say SDK to the ruck looks like a genius move. I was resigned to the ruck being a weakness and hoping Blicavs could do the job with Stanley cooked and Conway too young still. But SDK's ground level work is so creative and he was competitive enough in the ruck battle last night.

Great to see Mannagh bring the heat. At that standard we should absolutely play all of the small forwards. Probably pushes Henry out which is ok.
Agree Footy Smarts
Solid , high pressure four quarter effort.
We also left quite a few out there - shots we would normally kick with our eyes closed.
SDK plus Stewart and Danger in the midfield makes us far more competitive.
That forced pressured Hawks entries and allowed our backs time to counter their much taller forwards.
I think the youth injection of Humphries , Neale and Mannagh gives us pace and fresh energy .
Our best 23 isn’t set yet , will be interesting where we’re are at come September

Assuming we stick with SDK ruck.

Fit Bruhn = Clark out
Fit Guthrie = Real pressure on Touhy or Atkins is Guthrie plays in the guts.

Not sure if it’s a coincidence, but I feel like Duncan has played two good games since Humphries has stepped into the backline.

Mannagh stays in.

One of Henry/Rohan in and the other sub.

A lot wanted Duncan dropped and then rested over the past fortnight. The MC didn't waver and he's been one of our best players over the last 2 games.

His disposal isn't always perfect these days (but find me which big ball winner in this team's is) but all he needs is a semi-functional team for his strengths to give us an advantage from half back. Mitch remains central to our sling shot game but it doesn't work if our whole side is being swarmed. If we are proactive suddenly he looks good. Having the speedy Holmes and Humphries alongside him has helped too.

Duncan's also had 21 intercepts over the last 3 weeks. Somewhat surprising but maybe the old dog has gotten back a bit of pep in his step.
I just posted Duncan has been gold since Humphries stepped into the backline.

Not sure if it’s a coincidence or Duncan just coming good (certainly in front of Touhy/MOC for mine by a long way).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back