Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

They haven’t played in a game that matters (finals or regular season) for years.

It is the thing I love most about Geelong. We play in meaningful games every year. We are rarely subjected to watching games that have no consequence. It is the best part of being a Geelong fan and most of our fans don’t realise how good we have got it.
Absolutely nailed it!

Quite a few of 'us' venerable supporters have vast experience of the drought years. The 1989 GF was won of the worst, well for me. Obviously, I could write a history of those years, which really hurt, because we did make GFs.

While I speak for myself, it's extremely annoying, frustrating + absolutely galls me when our supporters are over critical + their acrimony + resentment is evidence of their sense of over entitlement!

Our club is phenomenal to have kept us in Finals for 17 years, excepting 2014 + 2023.

In 2006, we finished 10th on the ladder + excoriated Port in 2007.

We have evaded AFL's equalisation strategy. We're not Richmond, WCE, North, Saints, etc.

Even in transition + even after the last recent losses, we are 5th on the ladder.

Time to place a lot of perspective on just the incredible achievements Geelong has made in one generation!

Headmistress Miss Kitty is now putting her soap box away.

I think that’s what was lost on some because we got smashed as a team. SDK actually ended up having a pretty good game and he’s only getting better playing in the ruck. He’s an extra mid, plays like he’s 5’11
SDK also moves to the backline + was really good there.

The thing I noticed most in the Hawks' game was SDK placed himself in excellent positions, which made him efficient with disposing of the ball. This radical move by Scott was genius.

As Conway is out for the season, looks like SDK + Blitz to ruck, with Stanley brought out of cotton wool when necessary.

Last edited:

Don't ask me to select anything. I'd be playing 70s hard rock for every goal :thumbsupv1:
Let's compromise? "The Boys Are Back in Town" by Thin Lizzy. . .Irish hard rock band :fourleaf:

"Rock + Roll" - Led Zeppelin

"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" - ACDC after a goal sneak, for Play it Sam

"Tush" - ZeeZee Top

"You Really Got Me' + "Jump" - Van Halen

"More Than a Feeling" - Boston

So many more :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Agree and it's a pain in the arse at the game
Considering the playlists you've given me + fabulous music you've introduced to me, I reckon you should choose the Music, allrighty 😎

:heart: :hearteyecat: :heart:

Let's compromise? "The Boys Are Back in Town" by Thin Lizzy. . .Irish hard rock band :fourleaf:

"Rock + Roll" - Led Zeppelin

"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" - ACDC after a goal sneak, for Play it Sam

"Tush" - ZeeZee Top

"You Really Got Me' + "Jump" - Van Halen

"More Than a Feeling" - Boston

So many more :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
I could easily find a Thin Lizzy song for every player eg

Tom Hawkins - The Farmer
Tom Stewart - The Hero And Madman
Jeremy Cameron - Things Ain't Working Out Down At The Farm
Oliver Dempsey - Baby Face
Gryan Meiers - Gonna Creep Up On You
Toby Conway - A Song For While I'm Away
Tom Atkins - Fighting My Way Back
Patrick Dangerfield - Ballad Of A Hard Man
Zach Guthrie - Running Back
Cam Guthrie - Wild One
The Irish Boys - Whiskey in the Jar
The entire team after winning a flag - Dancing In The Moonlight

If you know you know...back on topic ...... twas a good win last Saturday

Good if we can keep him in the team.
Having 4 dangerous hard working goal kicking smalls is a unique position to be in, and creates multiple headaches for the opposition ,especially in slippery winter conditions.

Teams have put a lot of effort into Miers the last 6 weeks or so. That has freed Ollie Dempsey up to run rampant. Then when they start to put time into him, up pops Mannagh.

Teams have put a lot of effort into Miers the last 6 weeks or so. That has freed Ollie Dempsey up to run rampant. Then when they start to put time into him, up pops Mannagh.
I thought Mannagh was deadly with ball in hand.

He hit a few really nice passes lace out inside 50 to our forwards on pure instinct (didn’t overthink it).

Basically kicking on from the 5 minutes of game time he got in the preseason where he looked more than comfortable.

And 14 tackles… not bad at all.

If he keeps that up, he will never play VFL again.

Ollie Henry has 16 tackles for the season. YUK!!!

Not bad for a 178cm VFL full forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm middle aged and too old for most of those. Nirvana is a classic but Kurt put an end to it when I was still a child.
You do know that 60 is the new middle age? ;)

How did Kurt put an end to it when you were a child? Was it because of his tragic death?

He created a music revolution + is still an icon. Nirvana was a punk band, who helped create grunge, proto-grunge. Their music spoke directly to the youth of the time - GenX.

Cobain's songs were about mental illness + gave a spotlight in the mainstream in a way in which teenagers could relate. Through success they became mainstream. His angsty songwriting + anti-establishment character + his compositions widened the thematic conventions of mainstream rock music.

Was it Nirvana's entry to mainstream rock a disappointment for you?

Lol yeah ok.
I Agree Yes Yes Yes GIF by Tracey Matney - Victory Points Social

There's a reason these bands from the 80s/90s/early 00s etc (minus Nirvana obviously) still feature at every big festival and tour heavily as nobody has taken their place.

They've transcended time.

Yeah a bit, but I think to an extent copyrighting and the internet have frozen culture. It's not just those bands, no one makes anything new anymore.

I'd have to include 60s + 70s music, which I think is the best era of music. Probably because I grew up with it. Love 80s music, because in the 80s a friend was head of Sony Australia + had the pleasure of meeting some amazing bands at after parties.

Phenomenal music in 90s +00s also.

I'm probably not knowledgeable enough to say "nobody has taken their place" + that's because I stick to music from 60s up to 00s. Then again, my admission may prove your point.

As for CTTF's comment, seems like there are lots + lots of covers. Amuses me when a cover song is playing in say, a dress shop, when I sing the song, young 'girlls' look weirdly + wonder how I know the song 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
You do know that 60 is the new middle age? ;)

How did Kurt put an end to it when you were a child? Was it because of his tragic death?

He created a music revolution + is still an icon. Nirvana was a punk band, who helped create grunge, proto-grunge. Their music spoke directly to the youth of the time - GenX.

Cobain's songs were about mental illness + gave a spotlight in the mainstream in a way in which teenagers could relate. Through success they became mainstream. His angsty songwriting + anti-establishment character + his compositions widened the thematic conventions of mainstream rock music.

Was it Nirvana's entry to mainstream rock a disappointment for you?
Middle aged is halfway out the door and the human life expectancy ain't 120

I was just looking for a nice way of saying that Mr Cobain ended his life and broke up the group when I was still listening to Peter Coomb songs.

A couple of episodes of season 1 only. Isn't that set in the 80s though? I have very little memory of the 80s
Yes, a science fiction horror drama set in the 80s, based on MK Ultra + it's former Project Artichoke. Many horrific scientific experiments were conducted on humans. Tuskegee Study one of the cruelest.

I Agree Yes Yes Yes GIF by Tracey Matney - Victory Points Social

I'd have to include 60s + 70s music, which I think is the best era of music. Probably because I grew up with it. Love 80s music, because in the 80s a friend was head of Sony Australia + had the pleasure of meeting some amazing bands at after parties.

Phenomenal music in 90s +00s also.

I'm probably not knowledgeable enough to say "nobody has taken their place" + that's because I stick to music from 60s up to 00s. Then again, my admission may prove your point.

As for CTTF's comment, seems like there are lots + lots of covers. Amuses me when a cover song is playing in say, a dress shop, when I sing the song, young 'girlls' look weirdly + wonder how I know the song 🤣 🤣 🤣
I'm with you. Lots and lots of great music all through the decades. I got a kick whenever my son, who grew up listening to local pop music :sick:, brought out an old classic usually from a soundtrack. In fact though he introduced me to a couple new songs (2000s, new for me). I think the older we get the less likely we are to search out new music, especially with the decline of independent radio. I know I rediscover old songs often and go down youtube rabbit holes following the suggestions.

Anyway back on topic, music at stadiums. I think they should only play the intros of rock songs as rev ups, mostly without words. After goals, whatever. They still have a school band or organist in some places. I saw a MLB game and he played chord progression that ended with the audience shouting charge, but they didn't. LOL

SDK also moves to the backline + was really good there.

The thing I noticed most in the Hawks' game was SDK placed himself in excellent positions, which made him efficient with disposing of the ball. This radical move by Scott was genius.

As Conway is out for the season, looks like SDK + Blitz to ruck, with Stanley brought out of cotton wool when necessary.
He's a quick study.

One week he looked out of his depth and completely inept in the ruck versus his brother Tom

One week later, he looked like a young gun ruckman in the making. Against a pretty good opponent too. Lloyd Meek has been one of the AFL's most improved players this season.

Let’s take time out to get our heads around that weird jumper that hawks had today.
Hawks diehards should be pissed. Why didn’t they just have their normal kit?
Nope. That was the original Hawthorn jumper we wore when we entered the league in 1925 and wore it right up until 1950 when we made the switch to brown & gold vert stripes.

u201941.jpg

I'd prefer we just wore the same jumper for every game. It's not like our jumper actually clashes with anyone elses's and requires an alternate strip. But if we are going to wear an all dark jumper for TV purposes or to shift merchandise, then I prefer we wore our traditional 1925 "brown with gold vee" than any of the godawful shit we've designed over the past 20-30 years.

Who could forget that sparkly 3 shades of caramel "Power Rangers" number we wore back in 2015...???

Ugh... Still give me nightmares...

Last edited:

Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back