Changes for Richmond game

Remove this Banner Ad

If Sidebottom is going to play finals (and he should, obviously), then I'd say he needs a rest before then. I'd give him the week off to see how he feels, he can take another if need be.

I can't see him lasting the rest of the year physically. He's a good player, but not in any way vital to the side yet. We can cover him no problems.

You damn near blew a gasket when he was dropped though

Glad you finally worked out, the coaching staff knew what they were doing and it worked though

Still think he was Stiff to be Dropped but I guess Kicking 5 Goals vs Northern Bullants Helped get him back in good touch

To gift Fraser his 200th goes against everything we are building towards. Games should only be earnt, and positions only becoming available to due to form or lack there-of, or the NECESSITY to give a player a rest. It's time to switch into Premiership mode.

IN: Maxwell (only if 100%)
Out: Goldsack

Tarkyn lucky, with a directive to sharpen up his skills pronto.

Unchanged/

For all those idiots suggesting "rest" for Lockyer, have the balls and admit you've got no clue about football by calling for him to be omitted, instead.

He had his "rest" from round 5 through to Round 10. He worked hard, and came back into the team. Has been exceptionally solid since and hasn't played poorly enough to warrant being dropped... unlike Medhurst, Davis etc.

Sorry mate but your clearly viewing this one through rose coloured glasses.
As I said to you last week love the guy but the game has passed him by.
He is just too slow for AFL football. As a result he is unable to offer any defensive pressure or get to enough contests. He has also lost the ability to win the contested footy or take a contested mark. As I said last week if we want to be a genuine premiership threat then I don't see tarkyn in our best 22, he is being exposed and is to much of a liability.

I have mixed opinions on Tarkyn. I think his experiance is good for the side. But, he does seem slow these days, but I wouldn't take him out of the side, unless it was to bring Dick in. I would keep him before Medhurst or John Anthony. I think he works harder than both of them and he is a solid half forward. A few times he dropped overhead marks were because the kicks to him weren't anything to rave about. He's not the tallest, and one Caff kicked to him, would have probably hit Jolly at head height.

Locker goes out, only for Dick, for mine. Not for Anthony and Medhurst. Not for Luke Rounds either. I'm saying no change this week. Leave Maxwell out for one more game.

I have mixed opinions on Tarkyn. I think his experiance is good for the side. But, he does seem slow these days, but I wouldn't take him out of the side, unless it was to bring Dick in...

Dicky has a maniacal approach to tackling, is fast and can be really damaging so I fully agree for the rest of the H&A and perhaps a final or two.

But on the big day, I'd want Tarks with a cool head, strong body and steady foot guiding us to victory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sidey has looked really flat the past 2 weeks, still carrying an injury?

I think we need to give him a rest along with Beams. Remember they are second year players and if you've played footy or any sport you would agree that a rest at the end of the season can do you a world of good leading into finals.

Out: Sidebottom, Beams, Shaw (inj?), Jolly (?)
In: Medhurst, Rounds, Maxwell, Fraser (?)

Not sure if Jolly would want/need as rest, and I think he is fit enough to run out the year. And also give Heath a break if he isn't right...

I really liked what Medhurst did on the weekend. When he was involved he was a cut above the rest. Rounds was great up forward and would be deserving of his first AFL game. Anyone outside these two who played on the weekend probably need to show some more form. I liked Josh Thomas too but i dont get the feeling he's in the mix for this year.

If Josh Fraser plays, it's for sentiment only. Having said that, changes this week should be minimal. The only one who should come straight in IMO is the capt. For shaw (inj)?

Dicky has a maniacal approach to tackling, is fast and can be really damaging so I fully agree for the rest of the H&A and perhaps a final or two.

But on the big day, I'd want Tarks with a cool head, strong body and steady foot guiding us to victory.

Don't understand this line of reasoning at all.

You seem to suggest Dick's the better H&A player, and yet would still pick Lockyer for finals. The logical conlusion is that either you believe Dick will struggle (why?) or that Lockyer has some sort of extra gear or two in finals (history doesn't agree).

Is this really anything other than the converse of "let's play Player X ahead of Player Y because Player X is younger"?

As for changes...
IN: Medhurst (if fit), Maxwell (if fit)
OUT: Blair, Goldsack

To be fair, Sidebottom has been worse than Blair, but would like to see Sidey get a go in the middle to try to get some touch, otherwise he's back to the 2's next week. Lockyer to stay in until Dick is ready.

Sorry mate but your clearly viewing this one through rose coloured glasses.
As I said to you last week love the guy but the game has passed him by.
He is just too slow for AFL football. As a result he is unable to offer any defensive pressure or get to enough contests. He has also lost the ability to win the contested footy or take a contested mark. As I said last week if we want to be a genuine premiership threat then I don't see tarkyn in our best 22, he is being exposed and is to much of a liability.

5 tackles says the defensive pressure is still well and truly up.

5 tackles says the defensive pressure is still well and truly up.

Maybe, but for a guy with Tarks' skills, 15 possies and 67% efficiency is not good enough.

I think 80-90% of opinion (which doesn't mean anything other than popular opinion - none of us pick the side so we can only discuss our preferred side) on here has shown that Tarks' deficiencies are starting to show - especially in a game v a top side.

No one has bagged him at all so I think you should stop suggesting
otherwise. Its fine to defend him but you have made multiple references that you are sick of people putting him down or whatever which is essentially incorrect.

I think most have shown the respect he deserves but that doesn't exclude him from criticism that quite frankly is justified - he was very poor on sat as I've stated (and I saw this from 10 metres away on the boundary not on tv) apart from 2 -3 plays in the last quarter when the game was over.

His biggest issue which is easy to overlook as stats cloud the issue is the inability to hold the ball, create space and take his time to deliver the ball ala Pendles, Swan, Leon....ie almost every time he got it he either fumbled, threw it on the boot quickly or got caught with the ball which are signs of slowness, age etc which are not attributes you want during finals pressure!

On a side note....Can anyone clarify how Medders played on sat? Seems like he did ok and the game before he did well also. How many does he need to play before those that are unsure are satisfied for his re-inclusion?

No surprise at all if Heath misses with the back injury. Historically he has missed a game after it flares up. Rounds a huge change to debut.
With our depth the 'changes' thread could possibly focus on positional. I believe Heaters move to the wing was more important than any change to the selected 22. In this thread i think i have mentioned the potential use of Harry and or Heater up the ground when its going to advantage us.
We have such a glut of mid fielders, some with a ' holding' mentality, ie. disciplined, good decision makers, good one on one that a half back position is not difficult to fill.

Think of Sharrod, even the Great Dane have played that role. Swan is brilliant there with his overhead ability too. Beams could easily play there on the right match up

Interested in your thoughts

The more I consider Heater missing the more I like it. I think if Maxy is fit then that's the obvious transition. Heater's back problems have been a big problem for him in the past and I think he'd be better off missing.
Reid, Toovey, The Sack, Harry O & Maxwell can all still provide the rebound that Heater gives us.
Even Johno gave us that on the weekend against the Saints.

IN: Maxwell
OUT: Shaw

Don't understand this line of reasoning at all.

You seem to suggest Dick's the better H&A player, and yet would still pick Lockyer for finals. The logical conlusion is that either you believe Dick will struggle (why?) or that Lockyer has some sort of extra gear or two in finals (history doesn't agree).

No hard facts to support this - I just think Dick will run out of steam. For someone so enthusiastic with running and tackling, he's not quite had the opportunity to build up his tank and muscles to withstand the rest of the season AND some pretty heavy duty opponents for finals time (i.e. Geelong defenders!)

Put it this way - if we get weather like September 2002, a 4 quarters grind in the GF would suit Tarks much better than Dickie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Richmond game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back