Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Assuming McGovern misses through injury, who should come in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite the protests of Mark Bickley, The SEED confirmed late last season that he had played almost exclusively on the wing all season.

In the Twos this year, he played on the wing, when he came back into the AFL team he played on the wing, when Brodie Smith went down Bran Nue Mackae went into defence and The SEED played on the wing.

I guess there is a compelling argument by other posters that we are certain to play The SEED in defence :rolleyes:.

Half forward would be good, launching a couple of cheeky 60M bombs :)

Been told Gov's not great at all. Andy to replace.

tumblr_o8rx12Zsb51qep51no1_400.gif

McGovern definitely wont play.

Apparently Hampton has been training the house down so he might be able to rotate with Douglas. I LOVE Douglas up forward, really clever aroudn goal and has good skills.
Otten, Milera and a small part of me would like to see Thommo play and win a flag for us as well
Love Thommo but it's a definite "no" from me. He's done.

The one concern I have about bringing Milera in is that by losing McGovern/smith and replacing them with Milera/Seed, we lose some hardness and contested ball winning ability. Can't afford to have too many outside soft passengers in big finals.

Absolutely.

Would be a suicidal move.

We had a very similar situatuon when we versed Richmond last time and did it easily.

Both teams are very beatable, even with Otten up forward.

(I should say - Geelong worries me more then those two. This is still the grand final in my book)

The one concern I have about bringing Milera in is that by losing McGovern/smith and replacing them with Milera/Seed, we lose some hardness and contested ball winning ability. Can't afford to have too many outside soft passengers in big finals.
Very good point.

Atkins, Seed, Mackay, Milera...sure some try hard but really these guys offer minimal physical resistance. Taking all 4 in would be a huge risk, even though they have outside roles.

That's about as split as this board has been on a selection call.

Four serious options - Menzel, Milera, Otten, Hampton.

I quite like the idea of Menzel but really think that when he couldn't make the emergencies with Walker, Talia and Greenwood all resting that he's not in our plans whatsoever.

Otten has come in pretty much whenever any tall missed games during the season. Quite a few times we looked too tall when he was included but ended up doing the job reasonably well. Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I could actually see him standing up in a final and kicking a few goals for us while Walker/Jenkins cop the attention, expectation and the best defenders.

Milera I really like but I just don't think he's quite nailed the intensity thus far in his career to show that he's a finals-ready player. He's getting close but not quite there. 2018.

Hampton I think is the best footballer we could bring in however, the role he played for us earlier this season isn't available. He'd need to play up forward and I think he'd just get lost in a high half forward role and have no impact. For whatever reason we haven't used Hampton (or Seedsman for that matter) in a half back role since they've been here so it's really only Mackay who will play there.

So, in summary, thinking about it further I reckon Otten is the one. For the reason above plus it allows us to make a one-change switch. Eg not a shuffle such as Hampton into the midfield which pushes Greenwood forward more often.

Onus then goes onto the guys up forward and the mid-forwards - Betts, Cameron, Knight, Douglas - to apply the defensive pressure in the front half. And our supposedly quickest player Jenkins if he ever wants to actually use his speed for defensive action.

We had a very similar situatuon when we versed Richmond last time and did it easily.

Both teams are very beatable, even with Otten up forward.
Sure, we may win despite him being forward but why not select our best balanced side?

We already have Tex, JJ, Lynch up forward, we surely can't risk 4 guys up there who cannot defend rebound.

One role I could see Otten effectively playing is a hard tag on Henderson. Just **** him up in the air and stop him chopping out the other defenders. Henderson is not quick and Otten is just as good at reading the ball in the air.

That would free up Walker, Jenkins, Lynch and others to tackle fairer match-ups against Lonergan, Taylor, etc.

That's about as split as this board has been on a selection call.

Four serious options - Menzel, Milera, Otten, Hampton.

I quite like the idea of Menzel but really think that when he couldn't make the emergencies with Walker, Talia and Greenwood all resting that he's not in our plans whatsoever.

Otten has come in pretty much whenever any tall missed games during the season. Quite a few times we looked too tall when he was included but ended up doing the job reasonably well. Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I could actually see him standing up in a final and kicking a few goals for us while Walker/Jenkins cop the attention, expectation and the best defenders.

Milera I really like but I just don't think he's quite nailed the intensity thus far in his career to show that he's a finals-ready player. He's getting close but not quite there. 2018.

Hampton I think is the best footballer we could bring in however, the role he played for us earlier this season isn't available. He'd need to play up forward and I think he'd just get lost in a high half forward role and have no impact. For whatever reason we haven't used Hampton (or Seedsman for that matter) in a half back role since they've been here so it's really only Mackay who will play there.

So, in summary, thinking about it further I reckon Otten is the one. For the reason above plus it allows us to make a one-change switch. Eg not a shuffle such as Hampton into the midfield which pushes Greenwood forward more often.

Onus then goes onto the guys up forward and the mid-forwards - Betts, Cameron, Knight, Douglas - to apply the defensive pressure in the front half. And our supposedly quickest player Jenkins if he ever wants to actually use his speed for defensive action.
5 options, Keath is in play IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One role I could see Otten effectively playing is a hard tag on Henderson. Just **** him up in the air and stop him chopping out the other defenders. Henderson is not quick and Otten is just as good at reading the ball in the air.

That would free up Walker, Jenkins, Lynch and others to tackle fairer match-ups against Lonergan, Taylor, etc.
That would be the only role I could see him playing. It's not a bad idea, but it gives us less flexibility if it goes wrong.

Good point, will our coaches be onto this?
IMO Riley Knight should also play lockdown on Tuoy...maybe switch to Selwood if he gets off the leash.

Re McGovern
If you want forward pressure with a bit of X-factor, then its either Menzel or Greenwood.
If you want forward Pressure only then it Douglas, or a left-field option.
All of these players have worked in the Forward set up and understand the patterns and rules.

Whatever happens, we do not want to be forced to move Lynch into the role.
Didn't Douglas kick three or four goals last time we played the cats?

Didn't Douglas kick three or four goals last time we played the cats?
Yep. Sloane also snagged a few. Our main forwards weren't great: Walker, Lynch, Jenkins only 1 each and 0 to Betts and McGovern.

We also missed a bunch of fairly easy shots on goal including a couple less than 20m out

I'd be especially concerned bringing Otten on through to a GF against either Richmond or GWS. These are fast teams and Otten would be mutilated on the rebound
I agree brother. My preference would be for Milera - I know he has his haters at the moment but his hand and foot skills are excellent under pressure.
Just let him play at half forward for the night and hit up our blokes with his great 15-30m kicks.

Richmond killed Geelong with their 'mosquito fleet'. That is why I would not go Otten but rather a quick who could put pressure on. Otten would come in if a tall for whom he would best cover went down eg Walker.

We know what we're getting with Otten. Unbelievable flexibiity (can play at either end), but more importantly, a very composed player, and a great kick for goal. A bloke who will have no trouble with the occasion.

Might be a blessing bringing him in.

The negative is obviously that he makes us a slower, less dynamic team overall when he's replacing McGovern.

Nah Cameron will keep Tuohy accountable. Knight to Selwood

That means it'll be up to Eddie to apply defensive on all pressure because Otten, Jenkins, Lynch and Tex can't chase to save themselves.
Cameron needs to apply pressure to everyone.
Damn McGov being out sucks.
bloody hell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Back