Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Assuming McGovern misses through injury, who should come in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

afc.com.au reports that Gov is running and completed a session today. Burton is quoted as saying he is unlikely to play this week. I have a feeling he'll take his place in the side. Seems smokescreenish to me. Problem hammy t hat will keep him out this week, yet he's running already?
Don't think we're in the habit of smoke screens. Outside chance of playing next week if we get through.

Starting to settle on Milera or Hampton in for Gov. Send Charlie from the wing to the forward line. He can apply the pressure that Gov normally brings, plus he can also take a hanger from time to time. Milera/Hampton then fills the Charlie role on the wing. Won't disturb our formula or system too much.

Don't think we're in the habit of smoke screens. Outside chance of playing next week if we get through.

Starting to settle on Milera or Hampton in for Gov. Send Charlie from the wing to the forward line. He can apply the pressure that Gov normally brings, plus he can also take a hanger from time to time. Milera/Hampton then fills the Charlie role on the wing. Won't disturb our formula or system too much.

Charlie kicking for a goal in a clutch moment, I wouldn't be able to watch...

Love Thommo but it's a definite "no" from me. He's done.

The one concern I have about bringing Milera in is that by losing McGovern/smith and replacing them with Milera/Seed, we lose some hardness and contested ball winning ability. Can't afford to have too many outside soft passengers in big finals.

Yeah for sure, poor Thommo cant even run.

I feel you need some magic in finals, a special side step, a clever snapped goal and bombs from 60 out. Because we have 2 Crouches and Sloane in the midfield we can maybe afford to have Milera in the side. Especially rotating through half forward to replace Gov.

During presser Teague was asked who replaces gov. He mentioned Hampton been training well, Milera is an option but was def more positive with Menzel, saying his last month of sanfl has been really good, kicking goals and pressure acts really good. I think he will push for Menz but that may not be the consensus at match committee. Interesting view though, didn't mention Otto. Stated they will look for the right balance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

During presser Teague was asked who replaces gov. He mentioned Hampton been training well, Milera is an option but was def more positive with Menzel, saying his last month of sanfl has been really good, kicking goals and pressure acts really good. I think he will push for Menz but that may not be the consensus at match committee. Interesting view though, didn't mention Otto. Stated they will look for the right balance.

Otten makes the forward line too slow. I suspect it would be out of Milera, Hampton, Menzel and Beech.

Beech for mine doesn't have any real weapons at AFL level.

Milera they obviously like and it would be great experience for him, I'd worry though taking him into a high stakes, high pressure prelim final. His contested ball stuff just leaves a little too much to be desired at present. He's the last one to be dropped though, so is rated and close.

I'd be going out of Hampton and Menzel. Teague has always been bullish on Menzel, but atruggled to fit him in the side and I don't think has a lot of allies on the selection panel in terms of Menzel. But pressure stuff has been good and could do that something special that wins a final.

Hampton similar to Menzel, although coming back from injury. Contested stuff was good at the beginning of the year, but I think half forward relieving through the middle is his role going forward.

That's encouraging to say the least. We saw what Richmond did to Geelong.

He's right in that we need to go for balance and pressure more so than anything.

Menzel, Hampton, Milera in that order for me.

That's encouraging to say the least. We saw what Richmond did to Geelong.

He's right in that we need to go for balance and pressure more so than anything.

Menzel, Hampton, Milera in that order for me.

I think we'll certainly be taking into account the Rich/Geelong QF.

Hampton for mine is probably the best in terms of adding extra pace and pressure to our forward line.

And if you look at when Geelong have dominated us in the past, it's been their ability to take uncontested marks in our forward half, chopping off our forward entries and then working the ball through our zone with hand ball and precision short kicking. The more pressure we can add to this the better.

Gut feel for mine is they'll go Milera, but I'm not sure he'd be my first choice.

Gov isn't a high possession getter, but what he does is:

Take speccies
Crash packs
Kicks goals, on average 1-2 per game
Tackles
Applies pressure with his speed

None of the options take speccies
None of the options crash packs, well maybe Otten can

Menzel, Milera and Otten can kick goals, not enough exposed form for Hampton
Menzel and Hampton can tackle
Menzel and Hampton can apply pressure

So is it Menzel? Could he be an X Factor in the finals? If he actually gets it all together, he potentially has the capability to add more to the team, but if he doesn't he could add the least.

Tough decision.

So is it Menzel? Could he be an X Factor in the finals? If he actually gets it all together, he potentially has the capability to add more to the team, but if he doesn't he could add the least.
Massive confidence player, I feel like he just needs an early goal in a game and the crowd to get behind him and he could light it up.

Gov isn't a high possession getter, but what he does is:

Take speccies
Crash packs
Kicks goals, on average 1-2 per game
Tackles
Applies pressure with his speed

None of the options take speccies
None of the options crash packs, well maybe Otten can

Menzel, Milera and Otten can kick goals, not enough exposed form for Hampton
Menzel and Hampton can tackle
Menzel and Hampton can apply pressure

Tough decision.

The replacement for McGovern up forward will come from within the existing 22.

The combo of Milera and Sloane will replace that player (or players).

Greenwood and Cameron to spend more time than normal inside 50 is my best guess. Sloane covers Greenwood's lost midfield mins. Mackay covers Cameron's lost midfield mins. Seed covers Smith across HB. Milera covers Seed on the wing.

The replacement for McGovern up forward will come from within the existing 22.

The combo of Milera and Sloane will replace that player (or players).

Greenwood and Cameron to spend more time than normal inside 50 is my best guess. Sloane covers Greenwood's lost midfield mins. Mackay covers Cameron's lost midfield mins. Seed covers Smith across HB. Milera covers Seed on the wing.
It's going to be interesting to see how they go

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Back