Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Assuming McGovern misses through injury, who should come in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For mine it has to be Menzel - he is the only proper forward out of the possible replacements (not including Otten, who I see as more of a backline player), he is a similar height to McGovern (4cm shorter), and he has a mercurial ability that might come in handy.

Interesting stat btw, the teams that have won the qualifying final in week 1 have qualified for the GF 82% of the time since 2000...with the Crows this clearly means nothing however.......

For mine it has to be Menzel - he is the only proper forward out of the possible replacements (not including Otten, who I see as more of a backline player), he is a similar height to McGovern (4cm shorter), and he has a mercurial ability that might come in handy.

Interesting stat btw, the teams that have won the qualifying final in week 1 have qualified for the GF 82% of the time since 2000...with the Crows this clearly means nothing however.......
0% since 2015. :p

Are you serious?

In comparison to other clubs this season, yes.
We have had a couple of appendixes that cost a match each, could easily be a hammy or ankle and be out for weeks. We have had a fairly good run overall with injuries with Gov and Jenkins being the two major ones. GWS have lost their ruck and key forward leading into last few weeks, that is a much bigger loss. I just don't see us having been crippled with injuries.

MCrouch 2017 Brownlow Winner

0% since 2015. :p

If Crows win and Richmond lose, that will be 25% and the AFL will eliminate the bye week because its clearly unfair.

If Crows lose and Richmond win, then it will be proof that the bye week doesnt make any difference. If your good enough, you will go through.

VFL Logic.

So why haven't they ruled out Gov? if he isn't going to play.. rule him out so we can move on.

Lol so we can move on!!??

I suppose maybe now that they know the damage isn't extensive they're leaving it until the main training session to make a final call on whether or not he's available for selection. I'd say it's a 5% chance. Maybe you should just "move on". I'm not exactly sure what moving on entails for you or anyone else reading this, but I hope you cope ok champ.

Imagine he could get the near the footy, he would be a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I think we can rule out Menzel, his name has been the only one not mentioned as a replacement.

If we go tall and slow it will be Otten.

If small we will go Milera, they love him and he's recently played. I feel Hampton hasn't played enough footy for them to risk it.

Milera could work, against Geelong you need good ball users who won't kick it to their defenders.

If he can't harden up for a final he never will.

- Sloane recovering from appendix
- Tex recovering from foot
- Talia recovering from various
- Smith out with ACL
- Gov out with hamstring
- Since pre-finals bye introduced, 0% winrate for QF winners making grand final
- Opponent is closest we have to a bogey team right now
- 0/4 on prelims since 1999

Thisisfine.jpg

This is the one game this year I am pessimistic about. Plow through this in the same manner as last week and the grand final will be downhill.

God it can't possibly Menzel, he is putrid every time he gets a chance in the AFL.

Would rather Keath or Hampton who at least showed something at AFL level

My preferences Keath > Hamption > Otten > going in a player down > Menzel

If we really insist on carrying a player who isn't up to AFL level at least make it Thompson as reward for service, they'd contribute about the same: nothing.

I am slowly warming towards Hampton. He has now had the equivalent of 4 games back, and on the second had 20 touches and multiple forward entries (admittedly SANFL). He could allow Thor to go forward at times and play the Gov role. He can also run off half back and of course play Thor's role in the middle. His fitness is obviously building. Will be interesting!

Otten gets picked for me, Menzel just won't have the physicality desired for this game. Geelong are slow anyway, and Otten can sweep back whenever required, which Gov has been working on.

The selection of McGovern's replacement may not win the match but it could certainly go a long way to losing it.

Our forward line has been underwhelming compared to their baseline for quite a few weeks. Add a Geelong defence that did to Sydney on the weekend what they have done to us numerous times.

We must get this selection and forward structure spot on...and Tex needs a real captains game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Back