Preview Changes R13 Bulldogs vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, a few of Gaggs kicks have been hack kicks out of the packs or danger, which makes his stats worse. I find him to be just about the quickest in the team to get his boot onto the ball inside a congested pack. Which is why I rather see him play forward than down back like some have suggested. He has presented himself as a dangerous option when inside 50 at times. He has lined up on the likes of Petracca and Daicos this season, unfair to expect him to win those battles having played a dozen games. Part of developing teams requires persisting with development. Otherwise the cupboard will be bare once the old heads move on. Gaggs, Sanders, Darcy, Freijah are all our future and have done well so far.

42 out of Gallagher's 163 disposals have been turnovers - about 25.7%. Averages 3.5 a game out of 13.6 touches a game. Disposal efficiency below 60% on the season all in all.

It's a lot of turnovers for a low possession player. Treloar for example averages over 5 turnovers a game (team worst) but he's been getting a shitload of it, he's at about 16.5% of his disposals having resulted in turnovers.

We're persisting with Gallagher because we like his traits, fair enough, but i think it's fair to point out he's been a pretty poor user of the ball. Nobody else on the team is turning it over at the pace he has been.

Pretty unlikely his usage remains this poor as he gets more and more experience of course. And has traits that are valuable to what we've been doing - run/speed, peppers the goals, pressures etc. He's the sort of player worth persisting with while working out his troubles because he obviously has a higher ceiling than Bramble/Baker types.

Could be made sub for a week to lighten the load and freshen him up a bit, having debuted round 1 and played every game since.
I’m going to keep saying this, he needs to play in defence. Will open up the ground and give him that split second more time

I’m going to keep saying this, he needs to play in defence. Will open up the ground and give him that split second more time

Agreed - think he would be a great Doc replacement with more attacking nous / license to attack.

Move Freijah up to the wing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Gags versatility really sets him apart from most on the list. We are having discussions about a second year player being played defence, middle, wing and forward.

He can play it all. Pretty impressive.

It worked for Matt Boyd, who he has been likened to.

However in the near term I’m happy for his education to continue the way they are doing it. I don’t see it as big an issue as some are making out.

Turnover stats can be a little bit misleading.

Disposals can be effective, ineffective or clanger.
Possession can lead to a score, retained possession, stoppage or turnover
The nature of that retained possession can be through a contested or uncontested posession.
All of which can be valuable or are effected if the player themselves won possession in an uncontested or contested manner, or are getting significant metres gained.

Turnover stats are a bit limited as clanger disposals can not be a turnover and effective disposals can be.
He’s not R.Crusoe, but I don’t know how many times I’ve screamed at the TV when Smith kicked it straight to the opposition…and then it would go back over our mids heads to a scrambling defence, i reckon by eye, he was one of the worst and those stats back it up - i have actually wondered if it was part of our issues with morale etc over the last couple of years, players doing all the hard work setting it up, just for Baz to give it straight back. Just my opinion, thinking out loud

Baz and Dunkley were the two worst kicks I have ever seen pkay for the dogs. As of next year, both will be gone anyway.

I think we have until 12 to appeal Riley's and Sam reports. I still think the high rating is questionable on Sam's report but the media have done a number on the act and it is unlikely we will challenge it to get downgraded to 1. I would have thought we would appealed Riley's but it is looking like we are not going to do it with 30 mins to go.

I think we have until 12 to appeal Riley's and Sam reports. I still think the high rating is questionable on Sam's report but the media have done a number on the act and it is unlikely we will challenge it to get downgraded to 1. I would have thought we would appealed Riley's but it is looking like we are not going to do it with 30 mins to go.
The club is appealing the West ruling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West should get off. Howe flopped for a free and carried on with the game when not paid while West got the hands to the footy.

After Westy helped him up

In the context of bizarre appeals, the one that sticks out is us appealing a fine (which is rare) for Luke Goetz shoving an opposition player in the fence in a pre-season game, before we gave him an early delisting about seven weeks later.

Darcy has had a good block of games. Not the worst thing in the world he freshens up for the run home.

Lobb gets a chance to establish some form (and interest;)) at this level and Marra is exposed to more responsibility.

There are some possible medium term benefits in all this. In the meantime, those who remain get the opportunity to keep stepping up and to build momentum.

May not be the worst thing to see how we look with a smaller fwd line too.

Just never know what the mix looks like if we do make finals & a few games exposed to a different structure may not be awful to have under their belt.

We should be doing likewise for Darcy

Watch WC they will appeal Reid's one and I would think Darcy has a better chance of reducing it a week if not getting off
Had to do it by 11am wasnt it?

Had to do it by 11am wasnt it?

Seems so as we have appealed Wests, accepted Darcy's (poor by the club IMO) and WC challenging Reid incident to get downgraded to medium impact therefore only a week

We should be doing likewise for Darcy

Watch WC they will appeal Reid's one and I would think Darcy has a better chance of reducing it a week if not getting off
Reid's could be argued as similar to the Cerra incident last year which he got off for. I doubt it works but can see why they'd roll the dice.

Darcy has simply no chance of getting off. You cannot jump late into a player's back and head like that in today's game, he was very lucky Maynard passed his SCAT6 or he'd be out for a longer period. At best they could try to argue it down to medium impact but I'd give it very little chance of succeeding and it appears the club thought similar.

Reid's could be argued as similar to the Cerra incident last year which he got off for. I doubt it works but can see why they'd roll the dice.

Darcy has simply no chance of getting off. You cannot jump late into a player's back and head like that in today's game, he was very lucky Maynard passed his SCAT6 or he'd be out for a longer period. At best they could try to argue it down to medium impact but I'd give it very little chance of succeeding and it appears the club thought similar.

Not convinced that he jumped 1. Late 2. into his head.

Maynard was in the process of marking the ball he had not marked it so he was not late.

Anyway all done now but they should have appealed at least to try get it reduced to a week. Poor by the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes R13 Bulldogs vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back