Preview Changes R13 Bulldogs vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's panicking?

Our two leading goal kickers are out. Our best goalkicking small is out, and our second best is now suspended. Our next two highest scoring smalls just did hamstrings in the same game. The guys that we would hope would be pushing for spots (Clarke, Jones, Bedendo) are out of form (or at least have very patchy form at the next level).

We're going to need to get creative to find avenues to goal over the next few weeks. Putting midfielders there doesn't fill me with confidence. Having a tall who can open up space and provide a linking target at half forward might - and if it doesn't, it offers the added bonus of getting a couple games into Buss and holding the same structure throughout the season.

I suspect Bont just goes forward, which I'm also fine with. I'm just raising other options.
Sounds terrible hearing it like that, yet oddly I'm not too concerned. Whereas last year I'd catastrophise if just Libba was out! The kids/2s have stepped up!

Need a big one from the Lobbster. Perfect opportunity for him.

Sounds terrible hearing it like that, yet oddly I'm not too concerned. Whereas last year I'd catastrophise if just Libba was out! The kids/2s have stepped up!

Need a big one from the Lobbster. Perfect opportunity for him.

I thought I saw it reported that Lobb played out the game with a stiff back. So hopefully it’s ok.

Bevo mentioned it in his press conference that he wanted to stay out there given we were already down 1 on the bench.

It didn't fill me with a heap of confidence.

Ah, that’s where it was. Thank you

Lucky you’re not a list manager.
So many players have been poor in early games in their career.
Kade Simpson played over 300 games his first 4 games didn’t touch the ball Jono brown had two games no possesions. McLeod Watson I could go on had a less than 5 possessions.
Clarke had 6 in less than half on the ground and almost a goal but from a good tackle for Day I think.
You may end up being correct however patience is need with young boys playing small fwd not all are kosi or Cyril. Look what stengle is doing now after getting traded from tigers.
Stengle got traded for off field transgressions not his football ability.
And almost ended his career at the Crows. Geelong took a chance on him and he has managed to turn it around so well done to him for doing so

With the ins of Red and Libba we will have a very strong midfield but a much weaken forward line. If West does not win his appeal that will be Astro, Sam, Cody and Rylee missing from our best forward line. So, we will need to win the game in the midfield with The Bont spending more time forward to strengthen the forward line.

I was very confident last week not so much this week. Dogs by 7 points.

Last edited:
In the context of bizarre appeals, the one that sticks out is us appealing a fine (which is rare) for Luke Goetz shoving an opposition player in the fence in a pre-season game, before we gave him an early delisting about seven weeks later.
We did delist him and I’m not linking it to that incident but wasn’t it because he couldn’t hack the discipline of playing for an AFL club?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that might be an advantage is that we have played a game dealing with the new interpretation of holding the ball. Brisbane hasn’t played yet.

Assuming it gets adjudicated as it did last week and I bet it doesn’t

Assuming it gets adjudicated as it did last week and I bet it doesn’t

We’ll get one the same as Garcia on Daicos paid against

I'd like to see Bedendo in for Bramble. Bramble really is a zero sum footballer, not sure what he offers beyond not being able to defend a slow moving piece of drift wood and poor decision making..

Naughton, Weightman, Darcy, West, Vandermeer and Harmes all out means we only have Jamarra left from our first choice forward line.

I’m not sure everyone appreciates how much of a challenge it will be winning these next two games with nearly our entire forward line out.

Harris Andrews would be the most relieved man on the planet not having to deal with Darcy and Naughton this week. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try and get away with Lester on Jamarra and Payne on Lobb to free up Andrews to kill us with intercepts. We’re going to have to be really methodical with our F50 entries for a couple of weeks.

Naughton, Weightman, Darcy, West, Vandermeer and Harmes all out means we only have Jamarra left from our first choice forward line.

I’m not sure everyone appreciates how much of a challenge it will be winning these next two games with nearly our entire forward line out.

Harris Andrews would be the most relieved man on the planet not having to deal with Darcy and Naughton this week. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try and get away with Lester on Jamarra and Payne on Lobb to free up Andrews to kill us with intercepts. We’re going to have to be really methodical with our F50 entries for a couple of weeks.
JOD as a defensive fwd tag on Andrews? Lets Buss debut as well.

Bramble has really hit a wall after a strong first 3 games. Wouldn't hurt him to go back to the VFL and find some footy.
Good in theory and agree in theory, but no one is putting their hands up to replace him, mainly because those that would are injured and those that could are not that close

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Obviously want both these games but will be tough going coming up against Brissy and then Freo both coming off a bye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes R13 Bulldogs vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back