Preview Changes R13 Bulldogs vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane not really a quick midfield.

Wouldn't be suprised if we got with JUH Lobb & Bont forward.

Mids starting with Libba Treloar And Richards. Macrae can easily go in there this week with Neale and Dunkley. Sanders Gallagher Garcia even Caleb.

Bont to go in there in spurts if needed

Naughton, Weightman, Darcy, West, Vandermeer and Harmes all out means we only have Jamarra left from our first choice forward line.

I’m not sure everyone appreciates how much of a challenge it will be winning these next two games with nearly our entire forward line out.

Harris Andrews would be the most relieved man on the planet not having to deal with Darcy and Naughton this week. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try and get away with Lester on Jamarra and Payne on Lobb to free up Andrews to kill us with intercepts. We’re going to have to be really methodical with our F50 entries for a couple of weeks.

Would love to see Timmy spend more time forward this week for reasons you note above

Not sure what that means with the ruck.

You will need at least 2 of Lobb Timmy and JUH in the forward line all the time

Good in theory and agree in theory, but no one is putting their hands up to replace him, mainly because those that would are injured and those that could are not that close

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our defensive profile has changed massively from round 1 where we started Dale, Richards, JJ & Bramble who all started off the year in decent enough form (except for Dale).

Not that Bramble has been good for a number of weeks but removing him means our backline gets even slower if you replace him with someone like Cleary.

I'm very reluctant to take our best player out of the midfield against anybody for anything other than a rest, a cameo or to break a tag.

I'm not sure with our current injuries. We've lost a lot up forward and he is fair bit better as a forward over a Khamis. We've also gained a lot in the midfield if Richards and Libba are in so I wouldn't be against it.

If the coaches are wanting to keep the same def/fwd structure we’ve had to this point, I’d consider sending Jones up forward for this game, and giving Buss a debut down back.

Jones is an experienced head who’s played the role before. He’s strong aerially and will work up and down the ground much like Naughts has.

Risky losing him up the other end, but I think it’s a week we can. Danaher isn’t much of an aerial threat, besides his height he’s pretty soft and Ryan is a 10 gamer bean pole who got subbed out last week after barely getting a sniff. We could probably get away with just Keath and O’Donnell, but a Buss debut would work.

I’d much rather this than giving a debut to Croft or sending O’Donnell fwd.

Libba and Richards back. And a full game out of VDM who’s been an important fwd half cog. Lions in Melbourne, I reckon we’re a huge chance even with the outs we have.

Bramble to stay also. If supporters want Richards in the guts, Brambles a lock down back. Particularly with JJ out.

I'm very reluctant to take our best player out of the midfield against anybody for anything other than a rest, a cameo or to break a tag.
I’m also against moving Bont out of the middle in general, but I think it might be required this week. Robbing Peter to pay Paul but we just have to trust that Adz, Libba, and Ed can win the midfield battle with Bont getting maybe 8-10 CBA’s. We can still move him in there when the whips are cracking

I’m also against moving Bont out of the middle in general, but I think it might be required this week. Robbing Peter to pay Paul but we just have to trust that Adz, Libba, and Ed can win the midfield battle with Bont getting maybe 8-10 CBA’s. We can still move him in there when the whips are cracking
100% game time in the last quarter v. the Pies, 87% for the game after 92% the week before. It makes sense both structurally and for Bont to manage him a bit with more time down forward.

If I'm Chris Fagan this week and I see Bont spending most of his time in the forward line, I'm fist pumping the air in celebration.
This is true best player in the comp. Treloar has been awesome this year playing pretty much entire midfield. Midfield is also where Libba plays his best. Eds form the last month in there has been awesome as well.

Do we get more from Libba Treloar Richards midfield with Lobb JUG and Bont forward or
Bont Treloar Libba Midfield and JUH Lobb and Buku forward.

Think i'm leaning towards having a look at our midfield without Bont. he can always be put in there if needed.

Could we, would we, should we make Libba the sub this week?

Couple of reasons. He hasn't played for a few weeks and it may be a way to ease him back into it. Also, should we not give the guys who did the job last last week first crack at riding that wave of confidence and momentum into this week.

I think Libba would understand.

Last edited:
If I'm Chris Fagan this week and I see Bont spending most of his time in the forward line, I'm fist pumping the air in celebration.
But when we throw him in there to match-up against their squad the old timer will crap himself.

I'm not convinced playing any player out of position is a net overall benefit to just throwing Croft in the deep end for a game or two, given that he is proving somewhat capable as a forward in the reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not convinced playing any player out of position is a net overall benefit to just throwing Croft in the deep end for a game or two, given that he is proving somewhat capable as a forward in the reserves.
It would be so Bevo to debut a player the week after playing their worst ever VFL match.

Could we, would we, should we make Libba the sub this week?

Couple of reasons. He hasn't played for a few weeks and it may be a way to ease him back into it. Also, should we not give the guys who did the job last last week first crack at riding that wave of confidence and momentum into this week.

I think Libba would understand.

I think Libba would love to crash into a body or two to win the ball at the opening bounce.

This is true best player in the comp. Treloar has been awesome this year playing pretty much entire midfield. Midfield is also where Libba plays his best. Eds form the last month in there has been awesome as well.

Do we get more from Libba Treloar Richards midfield with Lobb JUG and Bont forward or
Bont Treloar Libba Midfield and JUH Lobb and Buku forward.

Think i'm leaning towards having a look at our midfield without Bont. he can always be put in there if needed.
It's bizarre that Bont got us the win with 14 last quarter touches through the midfield and people are actively advocating to go away from the very thing that single-handily won us the game last week.

Irrespective of the forwards we pick, our weakened forward line will likely mean that Bont will spend significant time forward, I don't think anyone will disagree.

But people are acting as if there's a log-jam in the onball unit when there isn't. Gallagher and Garcia played meaningful onball minutes last week, they can both play 0% this week. Sanders can (and basically with our limited forward line, will) play as a forward too.

Treoar 85+Richards 80+Libba 75+Bont 50 is common sense, one would think.

Our makeshift forward rotation will include basically five players that might otherwise be midfielders (West, Garcia, Sanders, Gallagher, Daniel), but that's the reality of forward injuries and underperforming small forwards in the VFL - out-of-position midfielders still are our best option.

West: I set my sights on tackling Maynard. Even though we break down the footage frame by frame, it was impossible to make the decision to bump Howe when I was so focused on tackling Maynard.

I'm not sure how you can dispute that, and if that's the case, the Tribunal would be heavily criticised if they still find West guilty given it's a football action.

Sally Flynn (AFL) says regardless of what West's intentions were, the contact with AFL 360 panellist Jeremy Howe was unreasonable in the circumstances.

Unreasonable opinion in the circumstances. Lift, Sally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back