Preview Changes R16 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Khamis played OK no one is really pressing to displace him after that win. He did some good stuff. I think a few people here are fantasising about Coffield. He definitely needs to come back through the VFL after all the injuries he has had. St Kilda basically gave him to us. There are reasons why you give away a former top 10 selection like that. They were otherwise going to delist him and we took him on as a longshot. I think he needs a good 4 or so VFLmatches to see if his body holds up.
Coffield certainly isn’t best 22 and needs a good block of VFL form to press his case.

There’s certainly a spot for him as the third tall or medium defender competing against the likes of Khamis or Freijah if someone’s form drops.

Out: Khamis , Scott & Daniel
In : Darcy , Busslinger & Harmes

Khamis is too much a one trick pony if he can't mark he has next too zero ground ability. Busslinger has earned a shot and should replace Khamis. Caleb has been a good servant but the game has gone past him on current form. Harmes to take his place. Darcy just can't leave him out.

Then who goes to defence?
English will probably go back and fill the hole and support. I don't think we can drop 2 smalls for Naughton and Darcy. Team is too tall. JUH is locked in and Lobb played his best game for us.

Bevo may unleash the 4 headed monster to get another look but I think there's general acknowledgement that it's not the best structure. Beating up North won't prove anything.

Last edited:
Coffield certainly isn’t best 22 and needs a good block of VFL form to press his case.

There’s certainly a spot for him as the third tall or medium defender competing against the likes of Khamis or Freijah if someone’s form drops.
100%. Most players should be picked on form, some will be in and out. Some will have blocks. Only a few should be fixtures and automatic inclusions.

Only the elite players should expect to walk back into the side after an extended period on the sidelines. Especially if it's due to injury and has affected their training regime.

Naughton yes. Weightman yes.

Coffield no. JJ probably no.

The effect of a lay-off shouldn't be underestimated. Weightman kicked three goals but only got about 6 possessions on Saturday. Whether he kicks goals or not I expect him to be much livelier and more involved in his next game. Libba was only out for about three weeks but seemed to be underdone in his first game back (v Brisbane). He regained his touch against Fremantle.

Even if Naughton walks back in against North we should not expect him to dominate the way he did just before his injury. I'd certainly want to pick him though. He'll at least earn his keep and it will have him better primed for the big game the following week against Port.

If Naughton is right to go which sounds like he is then Lobb is out

In Naughton Darcy Garcia Buss

Out Scott, Lobb, Vandermeer Khamis

Scott is sub, Daniel to VFL from sub role

In Darcy for Buku.
In Garcia for Scott.
If Naughton comes back in? Give Tim English a second break after bye to get fresh. Lobb and Darcy can ruck. With O’Donnell and Naughton chipping in.

Lobb should not be dropped based on that last game alone. I don't care who's available.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
Would absolutely kill his confidence. It’s a long season, I think we can play all tall forwards and just have one or Darcy / Lobb on the bench or ruck.

I think Khamis played OK no one is really pressing to displace him after that win. He did some good stuff. I think a few people here are fantasising about Coffield. He definitely needs to come back through the VFL after all the injuries he has had. St Kilda basically gave him to us. There are reasons why you give away a former top 10 selection like that. They were otherwise going to delist him and we took him on as a longshot. I think he needs a good 4 or so VFLmatches to see if his body holds up.
He was dreadful,

He has no idea how to defend 1 on 1, his positioning and ball watching is laughable for the level and has little to no awareness early HTB in the 4th best example of that.

He is a fine 5th back up forward but will never be an AFL defender with his clear and obvious deficiencies

Agree. Furthermore, given Coffield's injury history, reckon he needs a solid block (3 games at least) at VFL level to build confidence in his body, for himself and the match committee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobb should not be dropped based on that last game alone. I don't care who's available.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
That doesn't make sense. You are judged on a body of work, not a single game.

This year Naughton and Darcy are ahead of Lobb and if both are ready Lobb makes way, it's as simple and as ruthless as that because that what it takes to be a champion team.

Lobb is first cab off the rank and it's a great problem to have someone ready to step in when needed.

Are you honestly saying you would play Naughton or Darcy in the reserves and play Lobb in the seniors ahead of them?

They are not playing 4 blokes over 195 up forward.

In Darcy for Buku.
In Garcia for Scott.
If Naughton comes back in? Give Tim English a second break after bye to get fresh. Lobb and Darcy can ruck. With O’Donnell and Naughton chipping in.

Much to my surprise and many others Xerri has been very good this year. Don’t underestimate him. He also seems to have a reasonable back up in Teakle now who showed a bit on Sunday.

That doesn't make sense. You are judged on a body of work, not a single game.

This year Naughton and Darcy are ahead of Lobb and if both are ready Lobb makes way, it's as simple and as ruthless as that because that what it takes to be a champion team.

Lobb is first cab off the rank and it's a great problem to have someone ready to step in when needed.

Are you honestly saying you would play Naughton or Darcy in the reserves and play Lobb in the seniors ahead of them?

They are not playing 4 blokes over 195 up forward.
Give Astro another week off

Could be very similar interesting selection committee. History will say we make very few changes after a strong performance- the culture of doing more of what works is powerful.

However, we will have players coming back and some players weren’t great. And some i didn’t think were deserving played out of their skins / particularly Bramble.

Khamis should come out but ironically this is a better game for him than Freo. Freo play three big key forwards and Khamis was quickly out of his depth on the bigger player. His strength is intercept marking and he needs confidence and needs to attack the ball rather than wrestling to get past a much bigger player. Busslinger should come in but who does he play on?

I also like Buku as a super sub - can kick goals, brings fear to opposition when he goes forwards and can cover multiple positions in defence.

Jones will take Larkey. JOD plays a n Zurhaar. They will rest a ruck like Teakle so maybe him. Last week they played Pink forward (I had a joke there but will leave it). And so none of those really suit Buku - should be good for Zurhaar but not sure he is fast enough.

Darcy likely to play (has he finished his suspension?) then. One option is to play Lobb ruck and genuinely rest English. Lobb will want to show his value and if it is strong may also signal to English that he should not be chasing too much $$$. In any event he and Jones will both need a good break before the run home.

Plenty of discussion here about the hard work VDM does (and I do think he is getting better - particularly marking where he was terrible) and Daniel’s clear ability but I don’t think we can leave Garcia out in favour of either of them.

Gallagher also is developing well but looks a bit down on form and maybe needs to go back for his development. I reckon Baker adds more at the moment but over time Gallagher will pass him. If also like the Baker has gone back to HBF and is getting 30+.

Scott is interesting - I admit I am a big fan of him. Under heat he just makes good decisions - he set up a few goals and do a lot of grunt work. He is not a big possession winner (though racks them up if he goes inside in VFL) but is solid. He had a couple of good games and then some howlers down back but I would back him in most positions. Again - perfect sub but also like him up forward more than VDM.

Ins: Darcy, Garcia, Buss, Baker

Outs: Khamis, Gallagher , Daniel, VDM

Sub: Scott.

Left field: English out for a rest instead of VDM.

Would absolutely kill his confidence. It’s a long season, I think we can play all tall forwards and just have one or Darcy / Lobb on the bench or ruck.

It probably would work given how bad North's key backs are, but I'm still not in favour of it especially at Marvel. 3 tall forwards is the max. Our forward line looked the best it's ever had on the weekend and that was with just 2 genuine talls.

I'd rather drop Buku and play Darcy down back if it came to that.

In: Darcy, Busslinger, Garcia
Out: Daniel, Buku, Scott

Rest Naughton for a week and depending on form…. Then look at moving JUH to a wing and instruct English to drop back more often, while Lobb rucks more….
Surely in a few weeks we can't have all of Lobb, English, Darcy, Naughton, JUH and also Weightman who likes to fly for a mark

It's a good problem to have but you'd say Lobb misses out unless one of them get injured

If all pass the fitness test I’d be going with the following

In: Naughton, Darcy, Harmes, Coffield, Garcia
Out: Lobb, Scott, Macrae, Buku, Daniel

Sub: Garcia/ Gallagher/ Sanders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back