Preview Changes R16 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick our best 23 and take the game on as we have for 5 of our last 6 weeks. Anything less makes us vulnerable, absolute madness resting any player after a bye

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

North seemed to intercept and rebound well v the Dees, who lack quality tall forwards. Hoping our better talls take that away from North.

If Naughton is ready, great. If not then at least Lobb stays in coming off some good form v Freo.

In; Darcy, Naughton, Harmes, Buss
Out; Khamis, Lobb (stiff but cant play the 4 of them), Scott, Gags

North have had a massive 3 weeks with 3 close games and 2 heartbreaking losses. We will need to come out breathing fire, put them to bed early and don't give them a sniff. I imagine they would be pretty flat after 2 close losses against Pies and Dees.

I don’t think they will be flat, they will still be encouraged knowing a win (or more) isn’t far off as they are collectively showing signs of improvement for the first time in 5 years.

I reckon Bevo will unleash the 4 headed monster again
I hope so. Aslong as they all aren't playing inside the forward 50 at once.
English dropping back to help the defenders, Naughton playing high half forward, Jamarra spending a few minutes on the wing, Lobb and Darcy getting decent minutes in the ruck. There are plenty of options to make it.

North are following a typical pattern of improvement for a young side. you just know that the next close game they'll win. Our job is to make sure its not close. I still dont trust this team to get that done.

This team has not given us a reason to trust them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s one thing for the supporters to be doomsdayers and talk ourselves into how threatening North could be (personally not me) but there is zero reason for our players to go into the game with trepidation. Don’t take them lightly yes, but second guess themselves? No way.

I'm nervous because of how we ended last year. It felt like we'd lose those games. But to be fair we have a completely different vibe at the moment. Needs to continue though...intense pressure and smart disposal every game.
The vibe is back. It's an intangible ... at this stage ... but if we make finals it means we've won 7 of 9 an in all probability the last 4 in a row. Then a weeks break into finals. In that scenario, and with a healthy list, we'll be a headache for every other team in the 8 .... and anything will be possible.

It's a tough ask, 7 from 9, but the reward could be well worth it. Sydney have very obviously been terrific so far but I think there are 5 or 6 teams who could win it on their day(s). And we're one of them.

What's QI about this season is that the 5 or 6 can or will win it in slightly different ways. All have good midfields at full strength and then it gets interesting. Most have a team defense but some a better back 6 and some a better forward 6. A bit wing and half back action thrown in. Rucks ....

The thing that we have that nobody else has is 3 genuine tall forwards (maybe a case could be made for Freo if you include Jackson) .... we could have 4 if we wanted but I'm not sold on that. Carlton have 2 (and Curnow is a gun so he's going to trouble us), Brisbane have 2, Sydney and Pies sort of 1&1/2 but effective smalls.

Whoever wins has to win at least 3 games in September. It's wide open IMO .. could be less so in 5 or 6 weeks but at the moment wide open. And our sail looks a little wet.

Last edited:
North have had a massive 3 weeks with 3 close games and 2 heartbreaking losses. We will need to come out breathing fire, put them to bed early and don't give them a sniff. I imagine they would be pretty flat after 2 close losses against Pies and Dees.
Melbourne have no forwards and their midfield is average atm. We should beat Norf easily, provided we come to play and Bevo does not plan funny tricks to be a smart ass.

Apparently Naughton could be back? And Darcy too. Lobb must stay in after that huge game last week. Against good opposition too.
Maybe Lobb to play where Karmis played?

Apparently Naughton could be back? And Darcy too. Lobb must stay in after that huge game last week. Against good opposition too.
Maybe Lobb to play where Karmis played?
I don't think they should be meddling with the back 6. Coffield when he's ready would be in calculations. But familiarity is important from now on.

Forward with 4 tall options, they're in a good position to manage if necessary and/or as required or a horses for courses approach. It's a point of difference and extremely challenging for every opponent given quality supply.

Supply is the key. Parity or better.

I don't think they should be meddling with the back 6. Coffield when he's ready would be in calculations. But familiarity is important from now on.

Forward with 4 tall options, they're in a good position to manage if necessary and/or as required or a horses for courses approach. It's a point of difference and extremely challenging for every opponent given quality supply.

Supply is the key. Parity or better.
I reckon Buku in that back 6 is a real weak point at the moment. He is really struggling to defend. I reckon if Keath was playing against Hawthorn earlier in the season instead of Buku we could’ve/would’ve won. Buku shows many attributes, but in the team structure is not performing the role needed just yet. We have a lot of attack and flair down back, but occasionally we need to just defend.

MacRae has better hands and uses the ball better laterally for mine. I would prefer Jack with ball in hand during clutch moments.

Jack doesn’t get caught holding the ball. Sanders will get there, but not yet.
Agree, Sanders is promising but hasn’t had any ‘gee wiz that was incredible’ moments… right now he is just a solid foot soldier… You know what you are going to get from Macrae and that is insane ground coverage and fantastic vision

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back