Preview Changes: R6 2021 v Hawthorn in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Way too tall sadly. What we got right in the first couple of rounds was pressure. We lose a massive amount with Berry. Also Hately is a tall mid that’s not quick. We have Fog as a tall mid that’s not quick.

The one thing I would say is that we are giving a first year kid a debut and I never expect much from any debutant. Great news though and I’m pretty pumped to see all three inclusions. Just don’t like the mix.

Structure is wrong, but personnel is right. Get a look at TT and Hately. Good stuff.

Yeah I would prefer a makeshift second Ruck set up. With a guy like RoB who does 90% of Ruckwork, we should run with it. Works for Richmond.

I guess it also takes a decent defender to cover Hberg as well. His forward play is way ahead of Frampton. This also helps Fog and Tilthorpe.

Going forward (with Tex gone)we could see all of Fog, Tilthorpe and Hberg in the one team regularly.

Tilthorpe main forward
Berg Ruck/Forward
Fog Forward/mid

Then have someone like Cook on the wing/forward. A variation of what Lynch does.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Watching the SANFL game today, Cook needs to get his fitness up to speed, he looked gassed late on. But he is a guy that we should afford the opportunity of SANFL footy this year and get him on a good preseason fitness program with an eye for a debut next year

Exactly.... if we line up something like this with Berg heading back & Hamill as 3rd wingman.... we look better balanced.

B: Brown, Butts, Kelly
HB: Smith, Himmelberg, Doedee
C: Seedsman, Keays, Sholl
HF: McHenry, Fogarty, Murphy
F: Rowe, Walker, Thilthorpe
R: O'Brien, Schoenberg, Laird
I: McPherson, Hately, Hamill, McAdam
I think swap Thilthorpe for Fog in position with Fog playing stints through the middle and resting up forward. Forward pocket allows him to play the lead up forward role

I think swap Thilthorpe for Fog in position with Fog playing stints through the middle and resting up forward. Forward pocket allows him to play the lead up forward role
My thinking is Tex is carrying a calf injury, so better playing him deep & Fog playing further up the ground.

Thilthorpe can float anywhere...

My thinking is Tex is carrying a calf injury, so better playing him deep & Fog playing further up the ground.

Thilthorpe can float anywhere...
Agree re thilthorpe. I just can't wait to see him at CHF - he has the potential to be the best one we have ever had based on his attributes. But tomorrow, I want to see him clunk some big pack marks and maybe get a goal or 2 - that would be great

Get the feeling (even though he's named at CHF) that Berg will be swung down back if we're being exposed for lack of height down there

Very glad Lynch and Frampton are out, Lynch as sub is fine IMO. Replacing those two with Thilthorpe and Himmelberg at least doesn't mean we lose any defensive pressure, our midfielders will just probably have to work extra hard as we'll be one wingman down
Thilthorpe probably play wing/ half forward

Like the changes this week. We should have some better marking power up forward and Hately should help out our midfield. Other than Worrell it's pretty close to our best side we could field from our fit players currently available. Sloane, Crouch, Talia, Berry? to come in when fit.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are the changes I want to see!

Not the changes that will necessarily make us win, but let's get some games into our number one pick, our good young SA pickup in Hately, and the big that showed us a lot at the end of last year.

This is a win before we even play.

Spot on. This is the attitude that should hold up tomorrow, win or lose.

I won't hold my breath though.

Hard task to replace the best connector the game has ever seen according to a selection of cherry picked stats with a low sample size
Never understood the "Connector" buzzword.

He really is just a very good (in his prime) tall HFF.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

F Schoenberg Fogarty Rowe
HF Thilthorpe Walker McHenry
C Seedsman Keays Sholl
HB Doedee Berg Smith
B Brown Butts mcPherson
Ruck O'Brien Hately Laird
Inter Murphy Kelly McAdam Hamill
Sub Lynch

I’m pretty shocked... pleasantly surprised. Nicks and his new coaching team deserve some serious credit if we play well and take the points tomorrow.
For a club that’s been as risk averse as us this weeks changes are as bold as we get.

Dropping Lynch is a reasonable statement, and it needed to be made.

That says he's fit to play but he's not performed, good. Still could get some significant game time as the sub though.

Watching the SANFL game today, Cook needs to get his fitness up to speed, he looked gassed late on. But he is a guy that we should afford the opportunity of SANFL footy this year and get him on a good preseason fitness program with an eye for a debut next year
In fairness to Cook he is coming off a limited pee-season

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R6 2021 v Hawthorn in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Back