Prediction Changes Round 8 Dogs V Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

He does the defensive stuff well and is handy inside 50. We pretty clearly have more of a premium on legspeed and defensive work this season. I do think he is due for a spell as right now he's just hanging on.
If he goes back for a few weeks at VFL level he'll come back into the AFL sooner rather than later.

Buks was poor against Freo but has credits in the bank so I'd still give him one more week.
Clarke for Flea is a no-brainer. And I really hope West gets off because he's been good this year.

Ah yes, the stuff we don’t see. Probably a lot of unrewarded running too.

All serious though, I like Gallagher. He’s probably teetering on the edge of selection. I don’t think you could complain either way whether he is selected this week or not. I think we’ll see a lot of him this year, as you said he is handy around the goals too.

It probably won’t happen because we’ve got too many half backs as it is but I wouldn’t mind him having short stints off half back here and there. Think he can be a very impactful player if he can get his hands on the ball a little more. I’m not fussed about him long term though, think he will end up being a handy player.

I’m not against the club not challenging.

We all look at it with the older lens with these incidents.

If a player fails the concussion test it is classed as severe impact. If the players leaves the field to take a concussion test it is almost always classed as medium impact.

Not sure what grounds we would have been successful on. The potential to cause injury is also constantly used in these gradings.

Since the Maynard incident the AFL now make any contact to the head likely to be a reportable offence whether intentional or not.

Do I agree with it no as more and more players are now leading with their head or putting themselves at risk to allow their head to hit the ground to gain a free. The onus is purely on the player making contact or tackling now which I think is massively skewed one way too much but that’s the world we are in atm isn’t it? No one has a duty of care to themselves or any onus to protect themselves.

Club should just give Scott West a nudge to post about Rhylee's suspension on social media as their proxy. I'm sure he'd enjoy the opportunity to speak his mind...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bombers spent a week under scrutiny, they came out and beat us.

Bulldogs came under scrutiny all week, and they came out and beat the Saints.

Fremantle copped heat last week, for a being flogged by the Eagles, they came out and beat us.

Guess who is coping heat this week so far, for poor performance and their coaches comments being ridiculed? The Hawks.

And guess which team we are playing for the third time in four weeks, that is feeling the heat? The Hawks.

Watch us crumble under pressure again vs a team with a point to prove.

It's possible Rhylee West may have a niggle. Only reason I can think they wouldn't at least try it.
Is there a cost nowadays to appeal as was previously? I also think that keeping your powder dry for another report would be preferential. Perhaps they had comments via back channels that the chance of success was limited as well. It's a new world for head knocks and it's time to get use to it

Is there a cost nowadays to appeal as was previously? I also think that keeping your powder dry for another report would be preferential. Perhaps they had comments via back channels that the chance of success was limited as well. It's a new world for head knocks and it's time to get use to it
Yeah it's a $10,000 hit to the soft cap I believe.

No risk of a further suspension and we still accept it

Pathetic
Oh what basis would he get off? Chose to bump (careless), hit the head (high contact), player off for HIA (medium impact). That's 1 week.

It's unfortunate but this is the new normal, outside of any weird calls which they've made in recent weeks (Cameron, Hogan etc).

1714372392071.png

1714372419356.png

Should the dogs win?

Yes

How much trust do have in them?

Zero after losing to WCE last season and nothing has changed.

Changes

Ins Libba, Sanders, JUH, Clarke, Bebendo (probably does not deserve it just hoping for some X factor) but please no McNeil or Scott

Out West, Cody, Gallagher, Lobb, Bramble

Oh what basis would he get off? Chose to bump (careless), hit the head (high contact), player off for HIA (medium impact). That's 1 week.

It's unfortunate but this is the new normal, outside of any weird calls which they've made in recent weeks (Cameron, Hogan etc).

View attachment 1974530

View attachment 1974531
As you say there have been some weird calls in recent weeks. One interpretation might be that the MRC/tribunal tend to fold as soon as their decisions are put under any sort of scrutiny.

It doesn't necessarily make the overturning correct or logical but it encourages other clubs to roll the dice on challenging, just in case they too get lucky.

So while I am comfortable accepting a one week ban for West I can see why some people would say "hell, why not appeal? Worse acts than West's have been overturned recently with the help of a good counsel."

Historically though I don't think we have been very successful even when we have challenged. Small club and all that.

View attachment 1974530

View attachment 1974531
I find the term rough conduct in this game to be a furphy. It's a rough game.

I can understand sanctions being applied in a lawn bowls setting but this is footy.

It occurs to me that we're at the point where outlawing the bump altogether is on the table and that any bump or attempt to bump is an automatic suspension, the length of which is determined by the outcome.

It is a different game already.

Perhaps the answer is NFL helmets and then we can keep the bump.

As you say there have been some weird calls in recent weeks. One interpretation might be that the MRC/tribunal tend to fold as soon as their decisions are put under any sort of scrutiny.

It doesn't necessarily make the overturning correct or logical but it encourages other clubs to roll the dice on challenging, just in case they too get lucky.

So while I am comfortable accepting a one week ban for West I can see why some people would say "hell, why not appeal? Worse acts than West's have been overturned recently with the help of a good counsel."

Historically though I don't think we have been very successful even when we have challenged. Small club and all that.
The inconsistency is maddening, particularly the Charlie Cameron ruling. The Hogan one almost seemed like there was a flaw in the wording of the guidelines or the interpretation of it by the tribunal. However, I don't think the expectation should be that you just challenge anything on the hope the tribunal has an off moment - particularly when there is a cost to the soft cap. I understand the calls to challenge it but see almost no way that West could get off based on what I mentioned above, as much as it seemed relatively innocuous.

I find the term rough conduct in this game to be a furphy. It's a rough game.

I can understand sanctions being applied in a lawn bowls setting but this is footy.

It occurs to me that we're at the point where outlawing the bump altogether is on the table and that any bump or attempt to bump is an automatic suspension, the length of which is determined by the outcome.

It is a different game already.

Perhaps the answer is NFL helmets and then we can keep the bump.
I disagree. The bump is not outlawed but the high bump certainly is and players now know that the penalty for doing it, accidental or not, is games missed. That's fine with me. Accidents will occur and concussions will still happen in contests without anyone getting in trouble (see Ed Richards in Ballarat), but players are on notice that if they are responsible and had a reasonable alternative, they'll pay the price. West is lucky Walker passed the HIA or else he'd be looking at 2 or more additional weeks on top.

In light of recent news re Angus Brayshaw, Nigel Kellett, Liam Picken, Shane Tuck, Nathan Murphy etc you can't possibly be surprised that the AFL is going down this route.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back