Preview Changes v Dees R10 - Wed @7:40

Remove this Banner Ad

He gives nothing in an aerial contest and then is too slow when the ball hits the ground. Happy to be proven wrong and at least the club are giving him a good block of games to show something, a shame some players don't get given the same opportunity.
He gave some excellent arial contests v Essendon, but agree not enough v North.

He looks to be lumbering, but he’s actuality quite agile and creative with his hands. His U18 footage showed a big kid playing CHB and launching attacks via creative handball, and that has translated to AFL albeit in a forward role.

I’m not going to argue that he’s where he needs to be but if we’re being patient with Jones after 1 handball in the 2nd half, we can spare EH who contributed significantly more in a much harder role

He looks to be lumbering, but he’s actuality quite agile and creative with his hands. His U18 footage showed a big kid playing CHB and launching attacks via creative handball, and that has translated to AFL albeit in a forward role.

I’m not going to argue that he’s where he needs to be but if we’re being patient with Jones after 1 handball in the 2nd half, we can spare EH who contributed significantly more in a much harder role

So maybe we should stick him in a key defensive post instead. I can't understand why they draft players but then play them in a different role, and we have a lot of examples of that. We drafted Fog as a forward but played him in defence in the SANFL to help his progress, but we haven't tried this with Himmelberg?

Some players just need to have the ball come to them instead of them finding the ball. Exhibit a: Liam Jones

As I said, happy for him to have an opportunity.

Maybe play him down back...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Knock Dmack all you want but at least he has high standards on and off the ground. He might not have the impact we hope for a 31 yr old but unlike some of our other senior players he at least runs as hard defensively as he does offensively. We want our kids coming in to do the same so I'd rather them take that on-board than Matt Crouch's half assed defensive pressure.
He may have high standards on the ground but by continuing to pick him we show that we don’t. Nothing represents this clubs descent into the oblivion more than this hack.

We don't know the inside story with Gibbs but I have always posted I saw him as someone 'cruising' out the last few years of his playing life in coming home to Adelaide. And I do agree with you on the one week in rubbish that is ingrained in our selection culture.

I've always posted along those lines. He didn't come here because he wanted to return home or had a burning desire to play in finals. He came here because his missus wanted to and that coincided with the back ended component of his Carlton deal. So he picked up an extra $300k or so per year. His heart remains with the Blues, we're nothing more to him than a pay packet.

I guess you're right, but these things are relative. We're talking about a 1/10 coach, vs two 0/10 coaches. 1/10 is better, but it's still a disaster area.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Campo also had the benefit of AFL quality fitness levels. What hope in modern footy does anyone have if the players aren't prepared physically. Th@nk Christ we've got shortened quarters this year.

Maybe play him down back...

Been a heap of discussion on here about that, but in the whole time he’s been on the list they’ve never given the remotest indication they might consider him for defence.

I suspect he either makes it with us as a forward or it’s farewell

Been a heap of discussion on here about that, but in the whole time he’s been on the list they’ve never given the remotest indication they might consider him for defence.

Unfortunately for us we’ve seen some of our better performances when players are moved out of their preseason position groups on game day.

Stengle to Mid
Laird to Mid
McAsey to Fwd
Smith back to Def

Not a glowing report on the state of our coaching, but it has gotten results

Unfortunately for us we’ve seen some of our better performances when players are moved out of their preseason position groups on game day.

Stengle to Mid
Laird to Mid
McAsey to Fwd
Smith back to Def

Not a glowing report on the state of our coaching, but it has gotten results

Possibly also because it catches the opposition off-guard.

If Tex and Fog are in tonight, cant see McAsey playing up forward. But yes your suggestions are good. Goodwin is already going to be under immense pressure.

Something from left field is going to throw him off guard tonight. If we go in with the same lineup it will help Goodwin immensely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon there is a fair chance that Nicks expects to be cutting the list fairly deeply and is making sure that he will be in a position to judge player performance based on what they have done for him, under his instructions....literally playing for their careers. Some of those dropped will have played their last game for the club, barring injury replacement.
With 8 changes Nicks must have had some tough conversations this week...and a couple good ones🙂

Schoenberg will become the most beloved Crow within 12 months.

Can't believe he was there at our pick, brilliant kid.
I really hope you are right. Looks like a ripper. Was hoping he would have been in before this. Hope they give him a good block of games now like Jones.

In that video Sholl lists all the traits he can bring but the one thing Nicks wants is contest. There's something in that. No point having a fancy game plan if half the team doesn't want to be out on the park. I reckon we'll see the team bring things back to basics a bit this week... Might lack a bit of polish but will be chalk and cheese effort wise compared to last week.
I also think it’s specific to Sholl though. It is the one chink in his armour. He is very similar to Atkins in that regard and I’ve heard him say a couple of times that it’s his area of improvement.

I know McAsey is the obvious one to play (with Hartigan out)back with all of Fog, Tex, Hberg, and McAsey in the side this week. I don't see Lynch as a KPP.

McAsey is a more natural forward. Hberg does not seem to be.

McAsey Forward, Hberg back.

Hberg fails back there bring in Butts.

Also if our resting Ruck is a backman it allows RoB to rotate through there. He is quite a handy loose backman.

Possibly also because it catches the opposition off-guard.

If Tex and Fog are in tonight, cant see McAsey playing up forward. But yes your suggestions are good. Goodwin is already going to be under immense pressure.

Something from left field is going to throw him off guard tonight. If we go in with the same lineup it will help Goodwin immensely.
Goodwin would already be under a fair bit of pressure. He still has another 2 years to run his existing contract though. It's hard to see any club moving on a coach now given most will be getting additional funding from the AFL

I also think it’s specific to Sholl though. It is the one chink in his armour. He is very similar to Atkins in that regard and I’ve heard him say a couple of times that it’s his area of improvement.
Bang on the money :thumbsu: , when drafted he was a silky skilled very outside player with good game sense and good endurance......if he had shown any sort of a contested side to his game he wouldn't have been available at pick 64 because apart from his contested/defensive weaknesses he ticked all the other boxes to the highest levels.

He gives nothing in an aerial contest and then is too slow when the ball hits the ground. Happy to be proven wrong and at least the club are giving him a good block of games to show something, a shame some players don't get given the same opportunity.
Lacks aggression, he just doesn't attack the man with any gusto. We don't seem to value mongrel in our team, one of the first traits I would look for in a recruit.

Like him or not...calling a 200 game AFC player a ‘hack’ is a sh*t comment

I do agree with your comment, but the thought process about a 200 game player for us is correct.

It is an indictment on the AFC, that he has played over 200 games for us. I struggle to think of many other Clubs where he would have achieved this.

It does cheapen and devalue the players that are 250+ for our Club. If Mackay plays every game this year remaining and next, he will sit amongst Smart, Goodwin and Bickley, dual premiership players and Scott Thompson.

Here is the list of players that have played over 200 games for us, the ones in bold Im not sure would have played this many at any other Club.

300 Game Players
  • Andrew McLeod
  • Tyson Edwards
  • Mark Ricciuto
  • Ben Hart
250 Game Players
  • Nigel Smart
  • Simon Goodwin
  • Mark Bickley
  • Scott Thompson
200 Game Players
  • Richard Douglas