Unofficial Preview Changes V GWS Rd 2, '18 - Scharenberg and Callum Brown in, Cox and Smith out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayne and mihocek were listed as emergencies i think. Think they'll come in before others being mentioned unfortunately. Also broomhead seems a lock. The worst part of the buckley regime has been what gets dished up on a thursday night...

The only thing I like is if we win this we have the season back on track.
Simply a massive chance at redemption

Pies winning seems unlikely yes but we have pulled out some great games. Let's hope the team bounds together during the week.

Get back to what we are good at. Playing some grunt football. We can't kick for shit so don't try these impossible kicks.

Out - Cox suspended, smith omitted, Crocker injured
In- fasolo, brown, scharenberg

Maynard - Dunn - murray
Howe - Reid - crisp
Sharenberg - treloar - Phillips
Sidebottom - fasolo - Varcoe
Hoskin - moore - Stephenson
Grundy - pendles - adams

Aish - brown - Thomas - langdon
Shazza on a wing. Jesus wept.

Buckley has got to get over Maynard. He’s a big spud.
Out
Maynard
In
Anyone

I've come around to keeping Maynard.

But WHY WAS HE PLAYED IN DEFENSE AGAIN?

I don't understand. We all saw against Melbourne he belongs in the midfield. I know I wanted to be more positive this season but Buckley is making that impossible for me to do. He's just so so so so bad.

We do have an excellent record against the Giants. They have only beaten us once on the back of that last second goal by Johnson. They have been a very good side for much of that time too. I think our style of play seems to worry Sydney, Geelong and the Giants, Why, I don't know.

Does anyone know how far away Greenwood is?

As far as i'm concerned our midfielders lack accountability and we should be playing a tagger every game.
I don't think another slow unskilled midfielder is the answer.

I hate the fallout that follows round one. No one knows how good Hawthorn are going to be this year... for all we know they could be back into the top 4. GWS have been and probably will again be a top 4 side, so we can only expect to lose.

Although given our recent form against them (should've beaten them last year) and the fact that it's at the MCG, it wouldn't surprise me if we got up!

I dont want to be a Bucks basher, but as a member l am completely lost as to the direction this team is taking. On Saturday night after all the preseason talk of Moore becoming a CHB and playing there all year, he found himself back forward when the option of winning the game was virtually gone. It was like last years talk of the Grundy/ Cox pairing, that lasted one round. It seems the team structure or what is expected from the side is very confusing and convoluted, no player is probably really sure where or what their role is within the team.
It seems to me Bucks wont play the young guys either because he believes they are not ready or he cannot rely on them to win games, and he needs wins to hold his position or he has no faith in the player development structure at the club. To me it seems the ship is completely rudderless and Bucks is holding on trying to aimlessly steer it out of trouble with suggestions and ideas thrown up to just plug holes here and there. Most of the thoughts and ideas suggested have unfortunately been horrific, l look at Witts playing great footy at Suns we trade out and yet we take on Cox, Stewart a key forward playing very well at Essendon we said no to him, Kelly a terrific defender/stopper for Adelaide we said no to him, Seedsman a quick running defender who breaks the lines we traded etc etc. These decisions have been horrible, and to me these are just blatant poor decisions made by people who have been blinded by what they think they need to do in order to achieve success their way. Unfortunately their way has affected this whole teams ability to play good footy with some decent talent around them.
Just on witts, it’s not that we did not want him, he did not sign a new contract, we had no choice but to trade him to where he wanted to go. How do you keep players who do not want to stay and are out of contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to do with the score. They were able to move the ball with pace. They will cut us to shreds.

I think that Carlton will get the job done against us, if only because they have a solid structure and they match up well against us. Still, I'm not sure they'll be able to move the ball so freely in most games this year as they did against the Tigers. I wasn't at the game but it seemed to me that Richmond got sucked too far up the ground time and time again, and they made it far too easy for Carlton to run the ball through the middle of the ground, almost uncontested.

I'm on board with giving coz on more.

Out: smith Phillips aish
In: wells fasolo brown

God shed a tear for the GWS this week , get on board ppl , TAB , Ladbrokes whatever your preference . I dont know why but the gut tells me we will pull off one of those against all odds wins , "Sometimes darkness can show you the light " .

I doubt it - especially if in doing so they give us 70 I50's.
We have more than adequate pace to cope with them, in fact we have far more line breakers then they do.
We are one of the worst sides converting from inside 50’s if we have 70(12 less than V the Hawks) for the game we might only kick 70 points. That more than likely will be not enough. Their players step up when they play us, ours don’t.

I think that Carlton will get the job done against us, if only because they have a solid structure and they match up well against us. Still, I'm not sure they'll be able to move the ball so freely in most games this year as they did against the Tigers. I wasn't at the game but it seemed to me that Richmond got sucked too far up the ground time and time again, and they made it far too easy for Carlton to run the ball through the middle of the ground, almost uncontested.
Obviously hard to make a full judgement after one game but there was some positive signs for them. Their list is coming along nicely and they have a coach who has a clear gameplan. Sure they will be inconsistent at times, but from what I saw on Thursday, they’ll match it with a lot of teams this year.

The record of first time coaches is very very poor - we can’t take that risk.
This place would blow up.
I suspect R.Lyon maybe the only gettable experienced coach by years end if Freo fail. But Rattan would be my choice.

Lyon is yesterdays man and another coach who struggles to get his sides to kick winning scores, he tries to save games (ultra defensive coach) not win them.

Ratten is a potential coach who may be one to look at given his experience mixed with more learning under Clarksons system since his Carlton time.

Blake Caracella is one who I'd look at as a fresh face. New coaches take time because they generally coincide with a full cleanout and rebuild making the first 3 years rat shit.

Either way I want a genuine and thorough process of interviews done, no defaulting back to an ex pie just because they played for us.

Another suggestion I made is poach another teams coach by willingly spending into the AFL TAX to achieve it.

Lets say Clarko is on a mil p/a at Hawks then double it to 2mil pa {Pay the 750k extra AFL tax if it means achieving this goal}.

We are meant to be a rich and powerful club but since this tax has come in have acted like a corporation held to account my stock holders not willing to budge an inch into the tax to address our lacking structure's off field. I know people want us to have our cake and eat it too like other clubs are achieving but the fact is so far it's not working.

We went from leading the comp in FD spend in 2010 and 2011 to being the leading club staying under the tax system , at the expense of recruiting and development coaches.

Change of coaching group is only 1 area that needs addressing, recruiting, list management, strength coach, sprinting coach and more development coaches are also needed. IMO.

Lyon is yesterdays man and another coach who struggles to get his sides to kick winning scores, he tries to save games (ultra defensive coach) not win them.

Ratten is a potential coach who may be one to look at given his experience mixed with more learning under Clarksons system since his Carlton time.

Blake Caracella is one who I'd look at as a fresh face. New coaches take time because they generally coincide with a full cleanout and rebuild making the first 3 years rat shit.

Either way I want a genuine and thorough process of interviews done, no defaulting back to an ex pie just because they played for us.

Another suggestion I made is poach another teams coach by willingly spending into the AFL TAX to achieve it.

Lets say Clarko is on a mil p/a at Hawks then double it to 2mil pa {Pay the 750k extra AFL tax if it mean achieving this goal}.

We are meant to be a rich and powerful club but since this tax has come in have acted like a corporation held to account my stock holders not willing to budge an inch into the tax to address our lacking structure's off field. I know people want us to have our cake and eat it too like other clubs are achieving but the fact is so far it's not working.

We went from leading the comp in FD spend in 2010 and 2011 to being the leading club staying under the tax system , at the expense of recruiting and development coaches.

Change of coaching group is only 1 area that needs addressing, recruiting, list management, strength coach, sprinting coach and more development coaches are also needed. IMO.
Carrots is the one I wanted if Buckley was to go last year. Has done wonders for Richmond’s midfield. Has the Collingwood connection, been in Geelong and Richmond’s system, think he would be a good get.

No doubt Eddie will be throwing big money at someone to come and coach though.

Witts was not the solution as hes too like Grundy he is a pure number one ruckman. He needed to leave for his own development.

Cox is there to kick goals and play second ruck. He has shown he can do that at times but there is far too much difference between his best and his worst. He was dropped after round one last year and never given a second chance until far too late. I think the club needs to commit to Cox for a few weeks. Changing the lineup week after week does nobody any good.

I doubt it - especially if in doing so they give us 70 I50's.
We have more than adequate pace to cope with them, in fact we have far more line breakers then they do.

They have line breakers that can hit up 50m kicks at pace, their ball movement (until they faded later) was excellent, mixture of leg speed and players able to move it on fast long and to advantage of the lead.

Carlton's last few games vs us have significantly stifled our ball movement, if they do that and move the ball like they have they will be hard to beat. Bolton taught them heavy team defence last year and is adding that attacking element this year.

May 2017,

Carl 12.7 (79) to Coll 8.8 (56).

Bolton said:
"Most importantly, we put a plan in to execute defensively and I think they would have scored from, if my data is right, something around 35 to 40 per cent of their entries.
So that's a good defensive output from our group over four quarters."
Buckley said:
"Our ability to execute going forward and probably more so to keep our shape was not great today," Buckley said.

"Credit to Carlton, they defended pretty well and we just didn't seem to have the execution or the legs to be able to move the ball in the manner that we wanted to."

May 2016,

Carl 15.9 (99) to Coll12.12 (84).

Buckley said: "When you've got a handful of guys who lower their colours or don't bring anywhere near their best, [it shows] how much work needs to be done by less players," he said post-match.

"We thought that was really the tale in the first half in particular."

In total, Collingwood took just five marks inside 50 vs Carltons 11.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2016/7/coll-v-carl

Maybe we should stop playing them in may.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back