Analysis Changes v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointed if he is indeed dropped. Gives us an option high up the ground and normally has 2 or 3 blokes on him while Redpath won't give us that outlet and sometimes gets out muscled one on one and murdered with a second on him.
If Rough comes in, Boyd plays that role.

I've actually seen more from Tom Boyd as a CHF than I have from him playing deep forward. Gets more marks on the lead and intercepts the ball in the air (like the grand final). Also gets more opportunity when he's on the opposition ruck and pushes forward (like the Sydney screamer and the good mark he took but missed the set shot on the weekend). Boyd should get more rests but push up the ground. Redpath should get less rests (and more game time) but be the deepest marking option at all times.

Roughead also gets the majority of his contested marks around the ground and pushing into defence to help out. Hence why the rucks should be utilised more so up the ground. And Redpath deep.

Cloke can play a number of roles pretty ineffectively. Redpath plays one role effectively. Take marks and kick goals. Better player at this stage of his career than Cloke is currently. Goals and other stats would support that. Plus the need for a CHF at this club is a myth. Our mobile marking rucks play this role anyway as well as Bontempelli, Jong and Stringer who can play as the tall marking/lead up targets. We need a tall marking option who players lower their eyes to and kick too. Throw in the fact that he's probably the second best set shot at the club then Redpath should be close to a lock (unless he plays 3 - 4 bad games in a row).
He kicked two last week on a scrub. With one of them being a gimme that fell into his lap from not being able to make the contest. Also his kicking isn't bad but he's in the side to kick goals. And he missed one he should have kicked in the 4th. I worry the ball comes out far too easily when he's down there because he literally can't turn or bend over.

He kicked two last week on a scrub. With one of them being a gimme that fell into his lap from not being able to make the contest. Also his kicking isn't bad but he's in the side to kick goals. And he missed one he should have kicked in the 4th. I worry the ball comes out far too easily when he's down there because he literally can't turn or bend over.

That "gimme" was from the pocket. The one he missed was probably a 45 degree angle and not really a gimme.

At least he can play up the ground and play a variety of roles. What's redpath effective at? A cheapie out the back? If the footy isn't delivered to him lace out on the chest he's innefective. Can't take a mark over his head or bend over below his knees.
I don't think that quiet right, he's only back 2 games after 12 months out, his game at VFL level was amazing and I witnessed it first hand. Given its at the lower level but he took some amazing contested marks. I think give him some time at the level and see how he goes.

I would

Out:
Cloke
Webb
Suckling
Hunter

Inn:
English
Libba
Biggs
Stringer

He hit the post. I think it's a little bit harsh when that's your margin of error. Even if the outcome is the same, it doesn't benefit anyone from a presetnign an argument point when you consider hitting the post and otherwise missing as one and the same.

I would

Out:
Cloke
Webb
Suckling
Hunter

Inn:
English
Libba
Biggs
Stringer

a570c0dd9b711fdf65b993e66f160852

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full back D Morris M Adams J Johannisen
Half back R Murphy E Wood B Williams
Centreline L Hunter L Dahlhaus J Macrae
Half forward C Daniel T English C Smith
Full forward L Jong J Stringer L Picken
Followers T Boyd M Bontempelli M Wallis
Interchange M Suckling S Biggs T Dickson
B Dale
Emergencies T McLean F Roberts J Roughead
IN: J. Stringer, S. Biggs, T. English
OUT: T. Cloke, J. Redpath, L. Webb

Cloke stiff. Got us back into the game in the third qtr. Made one mistake, which a very trigger happy umpired made him pay for.

One mistake? Really?

He had 11 disposals, of which there were 5 turnovers. He gave away a free kick, and then a 50 for undisciplined behaviour. Not a great match at all. I'm not 100% of the view that he should have been dropped, as maybe we should have backed him in to rebound, but he did not have a good match.

So much for who goes out out of red and cloke

I'm not sure about these. Webb was alright, and surely we need one of red or cloke? Then Biggs is in after a few apparently mediocre games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back