Analysis Changes v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, that's why we're starting to sense Carlisle may go forward.

Stringers a head ache of a matchup
Stringer has had his off days against you guys

Pretty sure Dempster did a number on him a couple of times. Who plays on him now? Roberton? Kind of feel Carlisle and Brown aren't agile enough.

I feel we are 1 tall short at either end this week as St Kilda are a tall side. Using Adams as a swingman would be nice, but won't happen unless a late inclusion happens.

So he's done it again. Predictability is not the forte of our esteemed coach.
I'd think English has been instructed to get to as many contests as possible using his height to bring ball to ground. Expect a swarm getting front and centre to all forward packs to create the chaos we thrive on.
The Rough not being named in VFL lineup but named as Emergency is perplexing. Will he pull the trigger on a late change, or is that what he wants Richo to think he will do. Will English be used in the ruck ? I'm all for him getting a game, not sure rucking is a good idea though. Maybe Toyd does most of the work leaving Tim as a mobile Chf target ? Maybe he just lets English do a fair share of ruckwork (hitouts seem unimportant to Bev) and gets Toyd to create the forward line hot spot. All will be revealed.

GO DOGS !!

On form English should have been in weeks ago but he's still a bit slight. His tap work is excellent and to be honest if he'd played in that last quarter last week Geelong wouldn't have taken so many straight out of the middle like they did when Cloke was in there.

He's basically the perfect Bevo ruckman - can actually win the hitouts but can also get around the ground, take a grab and link up with midfielders. I don't think it's a gimmick. He's genuinely in better form than Campbell and Roughead.

Josh Bruce gets toweled up by Liam Jones and kicks one goal
and yet is named as an emergency this week, seems a little
odd to me.

I would have left Stringer out until after the bye.

This game can go two ways and one of them is not pretty.

So he's done it again. Predictability is not the forte of our esteemed coach.
I'd think English has been instructed to get to as many contests as possible using his height to bring ball to ground. Expect a swarm getting front and centre to all forward packs to create the chaos we thrive on.
The Rough not being named in VFL lineup but named as Emergency is perplexing. Will he pull the trigger on a late change, or is that what he wants Richo to think he will do. Will English be used in the ruck ? I'm all for him getting a game, not sure rucking is a good idea though. Maybe Toyd does most of the work leaving Tim as a mobile Chf target ? Maybe he just lets English do a fair share of ruckwork (hitouts seem unimportant to Bev) and gets Toyd to create the forward line hot spot. All will be revealed.

GO DOGS !!
Bevo's form is generally not to use the emergencies.

(But I guess if he is being unpredictable, he will :rolleyes: )

I expect English to spend some decent time in the ruck.
Only concern i have is Stringer. He has played poorly in the past with injury and on the news at training he was running with his knee wrapt like a mummy which tells me he won't be running freely and without his burst pace his to out of form to be able to perform without it.

Josh Bruce gets toweled up by Liam Jones and kicks one goal
and yet is named as an emergency this week, seems a little
odd to me.

I would have left Stringer out until after the bye.

This game can go two ways and one of them is not pretty.
If Stringer is ready, play him and not wait for the bye, because if he misses this week that's 3more full weeks until he plays. I love watching Jake play, but he's a different 'cat' he breaks tackles like I've never seen anyone do ever, but he's not tough going into packs or marking contests. And seems to be injured, runs off the ground then comes good? He needs to just play, week in, week out.

Stringer has had his off days against you guys

Pretty sure Dempster did a number on him a couple of times. Who plays on him now? Roberton? Kind of feel Carlisle and Brown aren't agile enough.

I feel we are 1 tall short at either end this week as St Kilda are a tall side. Using Adams as a swingman would be nice, but won't happen unless a late inclusion happens.
I would think Carlisle to Boyd/English and Brown to Stringer.

But Gilbert may take him if we wanted some more agile, definitely not Roberton.

I expect English to spend some decent time in the ruck.
Only concern i have is Stringer. He has played poorly in the past with injury and on the news at training he was running with his knee wrapt like a mummy which tells me he won't be running freely and without his burst pace his to out of form to be able to perform without it.

Although it was fleeting, he wasn't exactly moving with much fluidity in that vision.

Wouldn't surprise if he was a late omission.

Last edited:
I would think Carlisle to Boyd/English and Brown to Stringer.

But Gilbert may take him if we wanted some more agile, definitely not Roberton.
Yeah, Roberton has been cleaning up all year in his loose role, kinda like Jeremy Howe, but he's the player down back who immediately stands out with the size/agility who could go with him I feel.

Gilbert probably is a good size matchup for him though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Stringer is not ready at all, Roughy in for Stringer then?

Rough to the ruck, Boyd to FF, making Carlisle accountable. English for unpredictable cameos in the ruck, half forward and around the ground.

I reckon he will be dropped too, but not for the lack of discipline, but for the arrogance shown when he said he wouldn't be dropped for it.

Feel like that is a slap in the face to everything we want to be known for as a club.

Travis was told he was dropped via text message.

****ing called it.

I'd like it if Roberts is a late in tomorrow, send him to McCartin, Morris to Membrey, Wood as the spare launching counter attacks, Adams goes forward to make Carlisle/Roberton accountable as I can see 1 or both of those guys having an absolute field day.

Too much scoring burden is on Dickson's and Stringer's shoulders tomorrow imo if we don't.

Would like Picken to go to Steven tomorrow and being useful/get him back in the swing of things, can see him getting 35-40 if we don't put time into him and he ends up being the midfield matchwinner for them like what Dangerfield was last week. But it's not Beveridge's style so won't happen....

The last time Beveridge sent Picken to someone was on Sidebottom in the second half of that Friday night game late last season. That kinda worked I reckon, pretty sure Sidebottom only had 3-4 possies for the rest of that game once Picken went to him, not sure why it's an underrated strategy at the kennel.....

Oh and Matthew Boyd isn't playing again, so fully expecting none of those suggestions to occur and they'll beat us because we won't shut them down keeping the Boyd hoodoo alive.

Setting ourselves up for more unaccountable footy :)

Maybe Stringer is not ready at all, Roughy in for Stringer then?

Rough to the ruck, Boyd to FF, making Carlisle accountable. English for unpredictable cameos in the ruck, half forward and around the ground.
Prefer it to be Roberts and send Adams forward

Dunno how we go 3 pronged ruck/forward with 3 ruck sized guys, Beveridge has never been a fan of it and I don't think he's ever tried it. I remember when Roughy, Ayce and Boyd all played together early in 2015, Roughy was a defender back then, but Ayce/Boyd were substituted out of games IIRC, like against Sydney and Roughy rucked nearly the whole 2nd half, or Boyd's infamous 1 handball game against Melbourne which we copped shit from for ages from their muppet posters.

It's always been 2 ruck sized guys plus 1 of Redpath/Cloke/Cordy if we go 3 talls through them positions. I don't consider Stringer as a key forward, yet he has to play as one regularly.

Actually, no, the one game it actually was tried and worked was against GWS once Ayce was dropped.

Roughy and Minson tag teamed Mummy and beat him, Boyd was solid kicking 2 or 3 as a permanent forward, Wallis and Dickson dominated up forward also.

Stringer and Crameri both didn't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back