Analysis Changes v Suns - Round 10@Mars

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems that the weather is going to clear tomorrow with the forecast upgraded from 'mostly sunny' to a 'sunny' May day of 16 degrees and only a slight wind. I guess that we might expect both teams to favour the SE boundary to utilise the breeze assistance with goal kicking at both ends. That's good news for those on the hill who will be close to the action. I'll close my posts on this thread wishing the team good luck for tomorrow, and for those planning to go to the game, have a great day and enjoy the fresh air and near perfect footy conditions.

View attachment 1404334
Will you be there?

VFL watchers, how is McCombs disposal in the 2s. Is he just adjusting to the pace and different environments? Or is WYSIWYG?
It's hard to say because the majority of our VFL mids are absolute butchers, so you come to expect poor disposal. I recall him being bad, but swear he wasn't THIS bad. Hope it's something that improves over time given he's getting an extended run in the seniors

It's hard to say because the majority of our VFL mids are absolute butchers, so you come to expect poor disposal. I recall him being bad, but swear he wasn't THIS bad. Hope it's something that improves over time given he's getting an extended run in the seniors

Yeah if McComb gets a disposal it is just about guaranteed that the opposition will have the next one. The saving grace is he does get many disposals.

I actually don't think Crozier offers much to our back line without his intercept marking which he seems to have lost.

I'd still prefer him in the team over McComb even as a forward though. He wasn't a complete hack up forward, he had 30 scoring shots in his last season at Freo.
I dunno if the stats back this up but I think Croz is actually a good defender too, and even when he’s not marking he’ll still do anything to affect an aerial contest at least.

Been out of action with various IT problems and the cancer guy I look after has really gone downhill and kept me busy, so I have not been on here recently, but have watched a bit of footy.

Love what Richards is doing this year.

Looking forward to finally seeing our first choice tall defenders playing together for the first time this year.

Suns are a different team this year, should be a good game.

Maybe but that was 7 weeks ago and surely if he didn't feel comfortable he wouldn't be playing VFL. More likely is they don't think there is a spot for him. There are spots however for the same 2 or 3 every week,who seem to find it harder to get out of the side than get in it and do the same thing every week. Absolutely **** all.
It’s great selection

While I realise that McComb has butchered the ball on a regular basis, I find it astonishing the amount of hate for a player who has played four senior games. Total. I can only presume that those condemning him performed flawlessly on the first four days in their new workplace in the face of ongoing criticism by a group of 'experts'. Perhaps the reason he keeps on getting a game is because he is getting a reasonable amount of the ball and, not unreasonably, finds himself pressured and rushed in comparison to his previous experience in the VFL. At the very least, the guy should be given a chance to settle in - a view that has been put forward on behalf of a number of other players on this board. Yes, you are entitled to put forward pretty much any opinion you like - just as I am entitled to say that I don't think it has been done in an appropriate manner by a considerable number of you. Also - do you really, honestly think you have a better overview of the players, the team and the club than the match committee and the coaches? Really? Maybe he will make it in the AFL, maybe not. But to write him off after four games? I remember much the same being done to Gardner, Hunter and many others. It's sad really.
It’s the usual crowd if they don’t have a player to complain about they are not happy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones is doing very little at VFL level. Bedendo had an average statistical game in the VFL too. The problem with dropping McComb is we have no one pushing him out
And the fact that they are different player. McComb is basically an inside mid he has had to play outside due to Hunters absence but has hit the scoreboard a few times despite what some posters on here think

What do you think about Sweet?
I think he has not shown a dramatic improvement in 4 years. I was in favour of him being retained as ruckman take more time but really his exposed form in AFL and VFL has a sameness about it. Average tap output but very little around the ground

if it was NFL where you can bring players on and offfor specific roles ie centre bounce he would play more.

When English is fully fit he would be a liability that will reduce our overall running strengt. We could persist with trying to play him as a forward as they have tried in the VFL but IMO it will end up like BTC coming off about one in every six games

We can play him whe English is out or not 💯 but otherwise no

Thats what I think

I think he has not shown a dramatic improvement in 4 years. I was in favour of him being retained as ruckman take more time but really his exposed form in AFL and VFL has a sameness about it. Average tap output but very little around the ground

if it was NFL where you can bring players on and offfor specific roles ie centre bounce he would play more.

When English is fully fit he would be a liability that will reduce our overall running strengt. We could persist with trying to play him as a forward as they have tried in the VFL but IMO it will end up like BTC coming off about one in every six games

We can play him whe English is out or not 💯 but otherwise no

Thats what I think

This is pretty spot on.

Until he grows some sort of fwd game, he’s not getting many games when English is fit.

Unless we decide to kill English’s ruck minutes and play him more forward like we did last year.

Or, if he flicks a switch and becomes a dominant ruck that he forces English up forward.

Both are possible and we’ll know more over the coming weeks. I just hope there’s improvement again on last weeks game as both the team and Sweet desperately need it.

This is pretty spot on.

Until he grows some sort of fwd game, he’s not getting many games when English is fit.

Unless we decide to kill English’s ruck minutes and play him more forward like we did last year.

Or, if he flicks a switch and becomes a dominant ruck that he forces English up forward.

Both are possible and we’ll know more over the coming weeks. I just hope there’s improvement again on last weeks game as both the team and Sweet desperately need it.
You right CB it would be huge for us if he could but I am kinda thinking it will be Darcy who becomes our Luke Jackson

And the fact that they are different player. McComb is basically an inside mid he has had to play outside due to Hunters absence but has hit the scoreboard a few times despite what some posters on here think
Let's see him hit the scoreboard when the game is there to be won rather than against 2nd rate opposition when the team is already 6 goals up. Odds on he couldn't do it, he would **it himself.

Let's see him hit the scoreboard when the game is there to be won rather than against 2nd rate opposition when the team is already 6 goals up. Odds on he couldn't do it, he would **it himself.
Let's see him run out in the Red White and Blue and hope he does us proud.

He may not be a star but he's wearing our jumper.

Let's see him run out in the Red White and Blue and hope he does us proud.

He may not be a star but he's wearing our jumper.
Not sure what sort of a game he had overall but one early goal and one at the death when we desperately needed it is a credit to the kid old fella.
I'm guessing that will have been his third career-best game in a row. ;)

Not sure what sort of a game he had overall but one early goal and one at the death when we desperately needed it is a credit to the kid old fella.
I'm guessing that will have been his third career-best game in a row. ;)
Definitely wasn’t his career best game last week so not sure that works, but yeah he was okay today, did a number of good things. Doesn’t change my opinion though he is what he is and he’s not at the standard, he’s put together the sort of game we should expect from him and props to him more than happy to have him as depth - but **** we’re going no where with him in the 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back