Preview Changes vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Maj has to be dropped. The second quarter did it for me. If he ignored Black inside 50 it's a problem, if he didn't see Black it's an even bigger problem. Either way he should go back to the twos and sort it out there.

Does Nahas get dropped for not seeing Gibson?

If we are going to drop blokes because of this then there would have been times in the past few years where we struggled to field a side.

Maj has to be dropped. The second quarter did it for me. If he ignored Black inside 50 it's a problem, if he didn't see Black it's an even bigger problem. Either way he should go back to the twos and sort it out there.
I don't think dropped is the term here. Maj is progressing ok, needs time and patience. While there is no one at his "position" banging the door down, leave him in I say.

U know what, he saw him, you can see him glance but he is not the world's greatest check side kick and he was charging forward so he opted for the goals. No problem with that. Sure it is a limitation on his part but if we dropped every limited player we would be watching grass grow. Boomer would be 50 games less if he was held to the same standard, sometimes you just allow your played to back themselves.

Does Nahas get dropped for not seeing Gibson?

If we are going to drop blokes because of this then there would have been times in the past few years where we struggled to field a side.

Nahas burned teammates at least twice and missed the goals in the comeback that fizzled out against Geelong. Those were more game changers/losers than Majak's the other day. It's not just unfair for media to bring it up, it's not going to be relevant in whether he plays.

anywhere in the city that a group of supporters will be watching this game by any chance? wouldn't mind a few beers whilst watching

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, totally agree. Find it unfathomable so many are calling for Jacobs inclusion, when quite obviously the reasons he was dropped (poor/slow decision making and awful disposal) are still an issue.

I don't care how many touches he gets at VFL level, its irrelevant as unless he starts using the ball better. Especially as we have a few mids already who are not precise with the footy.
Not necessarily. To my eyes, he has already progressed from the deer in the headlights indecision, though he does need to show better execution consistently. And without having seen more than a bit of VFL on TV, his DE% seems reasonable for an inside mid in his current run of form, with the exception of one outlier in the wet where he was praised for playing the conditions well.

If Patch is in doubt as the twitters suggest, then

Wright, Patch -> LT, Jacobs seems likely.

For what it's worth, at training right now....
LT participating in tackling drill, pretty intense.... Would you risk him with a bodgy string unless he was right. Comes in imo.
Mason Wood training full, good to see.
JMac running..... again. Last 3 times I've been here, he has been running.
Wells was out there, not doing a lot, but out there.

Also something I noticed, Ben Brown, is every bit as big as Tas for pure bulk. Clunks the ball really well and seems a decent kick. We might have one here.

Seriously? I was at the game and saw the replay. While it wasn't his worst game, there were several plays where he gets the ball and helicopters a kick or hand pass to someone about to be tackled. His tackling has improved but under pressure he is probably the worst player in our team.

He also often refuses to look forward, a couple of times he got the ball and did not even look ahead but took the easy option of kicking back, there were two leads he didn't even see. His confidence was shot after giving away the goal.

Yeah seriously & I'm calling this out. The bold is over exaggerated rubbish. If you're going to torch a bloke for dishing off to somebody who also comes under pressure then there are literally dozens of those in todays high pressure, defensive oriented football. Honestly, you could make a package up of virtually every mid running around in blue and white. I don't have any problem with him copping it for what has been a huge issue with him when he has deserved it, but in this game it's just un-warranted.

To counter his apparent liability: 3rd Qtr:, he sets up an attack with a u-turn and putting it down Blacks throat who pumps it quickly in to a deep Dish, who then goes on to miss from point blank.

There was an occasion with the Tigers in attack where a loose ball mid 50 in front of goal, Anthony meets the loose ball in dispute, flicks it with a tap over the Tiges head and spots up Hansen by foot who goes long to Petrie, he marks for a long range shot on goal (but he misses again).

I'm no Anthony fan-boi and think he's very lucky to even be considered for seniors again to be honest. He's probably sitting at about 35 on the pecking order, but on the weekend he did his job and did it without too much fuss. If he's omitted this wekkend, it won't be because of a terrible performance.

For what it's worth, at training right now....
LT participating in tackling drill, pretty intense.... Would you risk him with a bodgy string unless he was right. Comes in imo.
Mason Wood training full, good to see.
JMac running..... again. Last 3 times I've been here, he has been running.
Wells was out there, not doing a lot, but out there.

Also something I noticed, Ben Brown, is every bit as big as Tas for pure bulk. Clunks the ball really well and seems a decent kick. We might have one here.

Great work roving reporter Philly.

Questions:

Was Wells still in a moonboot?

Was Cunners out there?

Will we win this week?

When will Fallout 4 be announced?

Great work roving reporter Philly.

Questions:

Was Wells still in a moonboot?

Was Cunners out there?

Will we win this week?

When will Fallout 4 be announced?
Wells in runners, although didn't do much running....
Didn't see Cunners, which annoys me because I wish I had of noted this and looked harder.... Shit sorry guys, I can't be sure. Normally one of the first I look for.
Yes we will win, and comfortably.
Dunno what that is.

Wells in runners, although didn't do much running....
Didn't see Cunners, which annoys me because I wish I had of noted this and looked harder.... Shit sorry guys, I can't be sure. Normally one of the first I look for.
Yes we will win, and comfortably.
Dunno what that is.

Thanks Philly.

Massive couple of weeks coming up for us off the field with Wells's injury.

Let's hope it has settled and we get him back.

Yeah, Wells is huge leading into the finals...
JMac, Grima, and Taz are walk up starts as well...

Not necessarily. To my eyes, he has already progressed from the deer in the headlights indecision, though he does need to show better execution consistently. And without having seen more than a bit of VFL on TV, his DE% seems reasonable for an inside mid in his current run of form, with the exception of one outlier in the wet where he was praised for playing the conditions well.

Considering you have watched him in action in VFL beyond the stats then I am happy to use your judgement.

What I would say though that regardless of his disposal quality, the deer in the headlights/slow indecision you state surely can't be measured until he plays AFL again? If he has shown improvement there on prior VFL performances that is one thing, but it's still far quicker at AFL level again.

I personally would think Jacobs is depth for rest of 2014 and used only to cover injuries, and see how he goes with a pre-season next year.

Considering you have watched him in action in VFL beyond the stats then I am happy to use your judgement.

What I would say though that regardless of his disposal quality, the deer in the headlights/slow indecision you state surely can't be measured until he plays AFL again? If he has shown improvement there on prior VFL performances that is one thing, but it's still far quicker at AFL level again.

I personally wouldn't think we play Jacobs unless we need an inside mid to cover injuries, and at this time we don't. For mine he is depth for rest of 2014 and see how he goes with a pre-season next year.

I haven't seen any VFL so i am just really going off his pretty compelling stats.

With that said, having watched him kick in space at AFL level, overall i thought he has been pretty good. He certainly has seemed rush to me at various times, whether that is because he is slow or not, i am not so sure. My opinion is that he lacks confidence (and maybe footballing nous) to take his first instinctive option. If he did that, now that he has a much better fitness base, i think he can be a good long term AFL player. When he doesn't he looks slow and indecisive and just f's it up.

Exactly where he sits in our team, given he is clearly an inside mid, with Swallow, Cunners, Greenhead, Ziebell, and potentially Dumont in the future, is another question entirely.

It is clear to me that at the draft this year and next "best available" should not apply if the player is an inside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back