Fixture Changes VS Carlton Round 9 - The Liam Jones Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

I know - it’s not cheap, but prefer not to end up in an exclusive Carlton area with the young fella !!
At this point of release you don't really have a choice, take what you can get, sit in your section for the first quarter, and move somewhere a little more dog-friendly after that. I grabbed whatever ticket I could didn't even check the seating just so I could get one.

It's going to be packed no matter what, wouldn't worry too much about being seated around dickheads on level 2 anyway, they'll all be in bay 13 or level 3 GA seating.

At this point of release you don't really have a choice, take what you can get, sit in your section for the first quarter, and move somewhere a little more dog-friendly after that. I grabbed whatever ticket I could didn't even check the seating just so I could get one.

It's going to be packed no matter what, wouldn't worry too much about being seated around dickheads on level 2 anyway, they'll all be in bay 13 or level 3 GA seating.

Cheers !! Appreciate it !!

Can someone who has seen him in the VFL give me the low down on his attributes. What size is he, what type of player, what can he add to our defense. Disposal?
I watched his first two games albeit only on TV so no idea about his positioning off the ball etc - big unit, think he’s like 197cm and built well already, athletic too. Had super strong hands seemed to position pretty well aerially for the intercept, maybe got a little lost at ground level - foot skills week 1 we’re pretty poor, missed a lot of targets but week 2 was pretty solid. Technically his kicking looks good, nice action - think probably nerves &/or decision making affected him week 1.

Didn’t see his game this week, didn’t notice anything about his defensive side good or bad, but I suspect he definitely plays 3rd tall intercept role

Man I’m all for playing JOD but surely we can’t be playing Jones, Keath, JOD & Gards in the same backline? That is seriously lacking footskills - just as we were finding a decent mix down there…

I don’t really get the thought process behind this but I guess we’ll find out…

Man I’m all for playing JOD but surely we can’t be playing Jones, Keath, JOD & Gards in the same backline? That is seriously lacking footskills - just as we were finding a decent mix down there…

I don’t really get the thought process behind this but I guess we’ll find out…
I think it'll largely be 3 of Jones, Keath, JOD and Gardner down back at any time, I'd be surprised if we see all 4 down back at the same time. Having three blokes that can mark/spoil down there at all times is pretty important given the timber they've got down there.

It's quirky, but not completely bat-shit crazy.

JOD was a midfielder before his growth spurt. Any change he could be given a Dale Morris job in his first game and run with Cripps. I doubt it but we have enough talls down back and up forward. I would more likely expect one of the talls down back must be out.

O'Donnell's VFL performances have been extraordinary given how little football he's played, and im surprised it hasnt gotten more attention on here and also in the media, but an AFL debut so early?

If we're assuming Bevo has totally lost the plot then it follows that it's a straight 1-for-1 replacement.
JOD as a midfield bull.

I mean, why not. 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it'll largely be 3 of Jones, Keath, JOD and Gardner down back at any time, I'd be surprised if we see all 4 down back at the same time. Having three blokes that can mark/spoil down there at all times is pretty important given the timber they've got down there.

It's quirky, but not completely bat-s**t crazy.
Not sure you can sit a key defender on the bench for majority of a game though - usually they play 90% + game time, plus being probably short a midfield rotation too.

I dunno drive off half back has been a big part of our turn around in recent weeks. I don’t love it, but admittedly you stop McKay & Curnow and we probably win they have **** all at ground level so that’s probably the thought process.

I think 3s enough personally, but damn if we expect Jones/Gards to spend majority of the day on McKay/Curnow having JOD and Keath ‘loose’ is some serious marking power.

Are we actually being setup here for Richards on ball? We don’t need his marking down there really this week, although his offensive drive is probably needed with the talls.

Super interested to see how this plays out now - if we dominate the air in defence could be a genuine master stroke

If we're assuming Bevo has totally lost the plot then it follows that it's a straight 1-for-1 replacement.
JOD as a midfield bull.

I mean, why not. 🤣
Richards Richards Richards - Bevo has listened to bigfooty once again. Only reason we’re doing so well atm is because someone made him an account IMO

Daniel who was already playing midfield in patches as well as half back and half forward, probably goes more midfield full time this game. Dale, JJ and Richards will push more up the ground.

To be honest, I'm reading it more as a specific way of countering Carlton s threats. They love a high ball to the pockets for Curnow and McKay to get enough time to contest and we're almost forcing them to beat us another way as we have 4 key defenders for their 2 key forwards to get through.

If Voss is a good coach he'll make some adjustments. But I don't think he will, as they've lost all their recent games in a similar manner.

Not sure you can sit a key defender on the bench for majority of a game though - usually they play 90% + game time, plus being probably short a midfield rotation too.

I dunno drive off half back has been a big part of our turn around in recent weeks. I don’t love it, but admittedly you stop McKay & Curnow and we probably win they have * all at ground level so that’s probably the thought process.

I think 3s enough personally, but damn if we expect Jones/Gards to spend majority of the day on McKay/Curnow having JOD and Keath ‘loose’ is some serious marking power.

Are we actually being setup here for Richards on ball? We don’t need his marking down there really this week, although his offensive drive is probably needed with the talls.

Super interested to see how this plays out now - if we dominate the air in defence could be a genuine master stroke
I honestly don't know how we'll structure it. Maybe Bailey Dale on a wing with Bailey Williams playing midfield minutes? Probably a fools errand to even try and guess.

24 intercept possessions across the 3 VFL games isn't nothing, as people have said, he's played well. 8 per game in the AFL is squarely top 10.
I get it...but the VFL is like a Toyota corolla vs. a Ferrari in the AFL speed wise. There's a very low chance he has the tank to compete with Carlton's forwards for more than a half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Changes VS Carlton Round 9 - The Liam Jones Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back