Unofficial Preview Changes vs Crows - Round 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m already having chills about Isak Rankine; we’d want to do a better job than the Giants did or how we handled Pickett last week or Hill in recent months. It’s a real shame Answerth is injured because I’d like to see how he’d fair against those dynamic small forwards.

As for changes, likely Payne for Joyce and possibly Morris managed for Dev Robertson. Agree with others that Jaspa back to full time wing.

Last edited:
Rayner can't play on ball except a cameo.

Don't ask me the coaches agree.

I'm not suggesting he play "on ball" per se

What I'm suggesting is that he could be used very effectively at Centre Square bounces more than he is currently being used.

We were pretty awful at the Centre Square against the Dees the other night and even in that huge victory against Port, we lost the Centre Square clearances.

14-17 in the Port game and 7-14 against Melbourne.

On the other hand, when we beat the Dees in Melbourne in Round 5, Rayner tore them a new one at Centre Square clearances in the first half which practically won us the match.

I think we need to get sharp back on a wing somehow
Teams like Gold Coast will flog us with their run.
They won’t be alone.
Sharp would be great to have before the Sydney game comes around. Only one job for him - tag Gulden wherever he runs and shut him down.

If in the unlikely event the coaches went with it Zac Bailey would be a great option as the sub, come on fresh, his pace and evasiveness would have an impact.
I agree, we were being belted through our mid-field up to half time and into the start of 3rd Qtr, bringing fletcher on was needed to get some run through there. Morris just had to be the one to come off, not that he was horrible but he couldn't play the running role of Fletcher. We have seen with Morris that with only a few possessions he still hurts on the scoreboard and has been in good form. If we start with the 3 talls which I think we should then it's probably Zac from the rest of the ground that is a little down on form but could be a real impact player later in the game.

From a structural point of view, Morris should start.

Yes, Rayner can play third tall, but it would be some terrible irony that he finally starts playing consistent footy as a half forward, only for us to move him back to third tall.

I hope this is cause for us to start being more strategic with our use of the sub. Whether it's Reville, Bailey, Fletcher or someone else, I hope it's done with an intention to get them on early and play a role, not just used coz we have a sub late in the fourth.

I'm not suggesting he play "on ball" per se

What I'm suggesting is that he could be used very effectively at Centre Square bounces more than he is currently being used.

We were pretty awful at the Centre Square against the Dees the other night and even in that huge victory against Port, we lost the Centre Square clearances.

14-17 in the Port game and 7-14 against Melbourne.

On the other hand, when we beat the Dees in Melbourne in Round 5, Rayner tore them a new one at Centre Square clearances in the first half which practically won us the match.
I agree about Rayner in the middle. I have a feeling, there are probably heat maps and stuff but its just a feeling from watching them live, Rayner attends a centre bounce then charges forward, he is a mid fielder that doesn't roam to the wings as much as others. Just feel from watching, "how did he get there so quick" he just runs up and down the corridor and that catches the opposition out. I was one critical of Rayner's form but his big body in the midfield and his turning up deep forward is now working.

I agree about Rayner in the middle. I have a feeling, there are probably heat maps and stuff but its just a feeling from watching them live, Rayner attends a centre bounce then charges forward, he is a mid fielder that doesn't roam to the wings as much as others. Just feel from watching, "how did he get there so quick" he just runs up and down the corridor and that catches the opposition out. I was one critical of Rayner's form but his big body in the midfield and his turning up deep forward is now working.

You can see why it would be bloody hard to get the balance right if you're Cam. If you don't time your run in the middle or run back forward right, you'll end up with little to no impact. Time it well though and you impact the way he's been able to do the last month. Has been looking very good. Not perfect in terms of all his ball use, but having an overwhelmingly positive impact. Seems to have the balance on timing his runs now so am keen to see how he is able to continue to do so.

Sharp would be great to have before the Sydney game comes around. Only one job for him - tag Gulden wherever he runs and shut him down.
That's where I'm coming from.
I think teams that will be at the pointy the end of season Sydney, Collingwood, will burn us with elite running capacities and the use their width .
Against some teams not so much of a threat with their run , so our lack of movement, short game , spread is not so critical.
We'll see , i kind of got bad vibes that we haven't realy learnt from the Grand Final .
It seems like we do this in some games and not others.
Got to ask why, I have concluded it's only a few players that make a great difference in these areas , and I would say Sharp is one of those , Bailey is not. I would also say Reville is not as good as Sharp with his ability to shut off exits and his ability to present for the short game again and again.
Against Melbourne it felt like our short game was off, we weren't as mobile, and Melbourne picked us off with marks along the boundary. Some of their marking was elite , having said all this, credit where it's due.
Bailey is greater in other areas , I can see that, so it's a balancing act, but to me some things should just be in our make up, game plan .
Not losing sleep over it , still enjoy watching Reville do his thing , he's a solid player.
Bailey , well frustrates me a bit but then pulls of something that is unique, still a bit meh on him with his defensive game.

Logan's apparently been a total world beater who a week later now needs to be rested or sub.

Perplexes a numpty such as me.

Zac has been hopeless tbh. Deserves a spell somewhere .

Lester's a gun. Hard though that could be to accept.

You can’t just spam your ultimate ability over and over. I mean imagine if Goku just used true ultra instinct on every opponent. Sometimes you’ve gotta let it rest and recharge. Know what I’m saying?

Definitely hope Payne is in. We need him fit and firing come the end of the year though. So if he needs another week or so then happy to back Joyce in. Will be better for the run and we need him as solid coverage.

Morris structurally should start if fit. If he needs a rest thats also fine, would be interested in HSmith having a run for 3/4. We need to see what he can do at some point.

I like Bruce but agree we looked way better structurally with Fletcher on the wing. Think he works much harder in transition than Bruce. Bruce also can be a decent impact player who can play on the wing or inside or on a flank. Makes more sense structurally to make him sub, plus I think its better to rotate it around. Still a lot of games to go, finding ways to give players a rest is critical at this time of year

I wonder if it would be worth trying Sharp as a small defender who could play on the small quick forwards who seem to cause us so much trouble. He seems quick enough and obviously has the running ability to stick with them over distance. I don’t see how he will ever lock down a wing position up against McCluggage,Fletcher,Bailey,Reville etc so maybe its time to find where he could fit because he is too good to lose imo.

You can’t just spam your ultimate ability over and over. I mean imagine if Goku just used true ultra instinct on every opponent. Sometimes you’ve gotta let it rest and recharge. Know what I’m saying?

Good reminder that I need to catch up on Super. Tried to when I had covid a few weeks ago but there wasn't enough time to get far beyond the Frieza Resurrection movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if it would be worth trying Sharp as a small defender who could play on the small quick forwards who seem to cause us so much trouble. He seems quick enough and obviously has the running ability to stick with them over distance. I don’t see how he will ever lock down a wing position up against McCluggage,Fletcher,Bailey,Reville etc so maybe its time to find where he could fit because he is too good to lose imo.
Yes I have considered this from time to time. Sharp’s form in the vfl is very good, but as you say it is hard to see who he replaces in the wing rotations.

However I am not sure who he would replace as a small defender and Brain and Beecken are also in good form. I wonder if Sharp would have the acceleration to match the elite small forward. Wouldn’t disagree with him getting the opportunity.

So many vfl players in for is a nice problem for the coaching panel to have.

Logan's apparently been a total world beater who a week later now needs to be rested or sub.

Perplexes a numpty such as me.

Zac has been hopeless tbh. Deserves a spell somewhere .

Lester's a gun. Hard though that could be to accept.

Logan got to play in games where we held structure and were mostly in control. And he exceeded expectations.

This game was against a frantic opposition and he was just slightly off the pace. Had one disposal before he was subbed off.

Definitely hope Payne is in. We need him fit and firing come the end of the year though. So if he needs another week or so then happy to back Joyce in. Will be better for the run and we need him as solid coverage.

Morris structurally should start if fit. If he needs a rest thats also fine, would be interested in HSmith having a run for 3/4. We need to see what he can do at some point.

I like Bruce but agree we looked way better structurally with Fletcher on the wing. Think he works much harder in transition than Bruce. Bruce also can be a decent impact player who can play on the wing or inside or on a flank. Makes more sense structurally to make him sub, plus I think its better to rotate it around. Still a lot of games to go, finding ways to give players a rest is critical at this time of year

Im sure I heard fagan say in the presser payne will play this week.

Im sure I heard fagan say in the presser payne will play this week.
Fingers crossed he is, but if there is a risk and its better off resting him up another week then do it. We definitely need him fit and firing at the end of the season

I know only precautionary but Jack Payne was in a moon boot at the reserves on Saturday.

Coleman and Doedee were there as well, Doedee walking freely, Kiddy had is leg/knee heavily strapped from half way up his thigh to half way down his shin, not sure if that is normal procedure for someone 4+ months post injury.

I've mentioned this many times, but the coaches don't like the wing.

Fully expect Fletcher or Sharp as the sub and we will switch the layout of the mids mid game. Fletcher is only a second-year player and may need a rest.
Payne plays if fit.
Morris plays based on current form, does have an issue against bigger opponents though. Melbourne game pointed this out.

Only player that may need to get dropped is Bailey. Guy is second guessing every decision he makes on field and his contributions seem to come from easy disposals/goals at the end of a chain rather than his own work.

Brice has been great, a couple of things he needs to work on though:
  • contest work, seems to be out bodied and even on occasions seems to wait before committing
  • seems to be a smidgeon off the pace with decision making. Should come with time but there is room for improvement.

Melbourne researched well and played 4 talls back.

Seemed to unsettle us to some degree.

They only had five intercept marks for the game so I actually think we did well against them.

I think they did well completely shutting down our sideways short passes and our switching. We were forced down the line and they followed it up by winning the contested ball even if they didn’t necessarily intercept mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back