Preview Changes Vs Gold Coast Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, wasn't saying he was.

Was very good early and faded as the team did - spent large chunks of the game forward though.

On a side note, I'd love to know how a tackle is defined, I looked at this stat at one stage after he'd made a huge one on one tackle and brought the Hawk to ground, although the ball spilt out to a Hawthorn player, and he was still on 0.
A tackle must materially change the course of play. So the result of the tackle must force a stoppage, win a HTB or force an ineffective possession. In your example if it spilt out it should have been a tackle ... if however, he got a little handball out and it ended with a Hawks team-mate then no tackle is awarded.

As for changes:

Out:
- Cox (I love all he has done for us but not even for development, on pure merit - Sinclair & Lycett have been outstanding in the WAFL and Cox has been poor all season)
- S.Selwood (Very poor this season - not shutting down opponents when tagging, not being effective when attacking - plus I would like to see Wellingham tag which is a job he did with some success at the Pies and he can hurt more going the other way)

In:
- Lycett/Sinclair - don't really mind which one to be honest
- Sheed

If Kennedy and Shep are fit then obviously a couple more changes with Schofield (McGovern can swing forward or back as required) and Hutchings (although thought he was okay against the Hawks) next on the chopping block.

Cox has been awesome, one of the all time greats but Father Time catches up with us all.
I didn't see last weekends game but Cox has been very ordinary all year unfortunately. A legend of this club.

But there's a great line in the movie moneyball: "We all get told at some point we can no longer play. For some of us, we got told at 18. For others, they get told at 40. But we all get told"

Out: Schofield In: Sheppard
Out: Hutchings In: Smith
Out: Cox In: Lycett
Out: Selwood In: Sheed

Schofield & Brown can't be played in the same side. Brown had a good year - need Sheps run from HBF.

Wellingham would have to be the worst sub choice - should of been dropped and didn't offer much once he came on. But Hutchings is nothing for than a good WAFL player - yes Hutch got the ball but not once did he hurt the Hawks plus he dropped marks and can only play the Priddis role. Whereas we know an inform Wellingham is a very good AFL players. Sharrods pace will be required against GCS plus we need to stick with him but Simpson needs to put him on notice. Smith has had a good couple of games off the HFF - a chance for him to save his AFL career.

Cox could do with a couple weeks rest. I love the bloke and nothing would make me happier to see him make 300 but he's a laibility and he needs to start paving the way for a hand over. Cox needs to do the honourable thing and retire at years end or we stand to lose a good 10 year ruckman.

Selwood - the midfield group of Priddis, Shuey, Gaff, Masten & Rosa (the guys that been together a while) need a statement from Simpson and Selwood needs to be dropped - his 1st half was shocking and I could count 3 turnovers from him that cost us goals - each way. The guys was missing 3 metre handballs.

Team for next week.

Glass - Brown - Bennell
Hurn - Emac - Sheppard
Masten - Priddis - Gaff
Cripps - Darling - Yeo
McGovern - Lycett - LeCras

Nic Nat - Shuey - Sheed

Ellis, Rosa, Smith & Wellingham

unfair, he just isn't up to AFL footy - he is gone, a dead parrot, fair has nothing to do with it. Not drop retire and bring up a rookie. we have to develop- this season is over

Yet you still think Selwood and masten should play yet we have always known both are B Graders, Hutchings out performed both of them on the weekend and has done most times he plays. I got no issue dropping Hutchings but some real spuds need to go as well.

Agree that it is time for Cox to step aside and let Lycett show his worth or he will leave at the end of the year.

In: Lycett, Shep, JK
Out: Cox, Hutchings, Schofield

- I want another mid to replace Hutchings but we need Shep in.
- If JK doesn't come up leave Schoey in.

Will be happy to see how the side goes with JK and Mcgovern playing in the forward line. I think Darling should be persisted with in the midfield and with Mcgovern there we will be able to leave Darling in there for large periods of time.

Bennell Emac Glass
Hurn Brown Shep

Yeo Priddis Rosa

Darling Mcgovern Masten
Lecra JK Cripps

Ruck: Nic Nat, Scooter, Shuey

Bench: Gaff, Wellingham, Lycett Sub: Ellis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep McGovern for sure, what a promising prospect he is. Give Sheed another go, he could be a very good player if given time. I'd keep Schoey, he's one of the few actually playing with heart and is a great athlete. Cripps is beginning to wear a bit thin but give him a chance at redemption and I want Selwood dropped as the clangers are getting too much. Drop Hutchings too.

Bennell Glass Schofield

Yeo Mackenzie Ellis

Hurn Rosa Gaff

Masten McGovern Tunbridge

Lecras Kennedy Cripps

Followers: Naitanui, Darling, Shuey

Int:Sheed Wellingham Lycett Sheppard

I only saw the second quater against hawthorn but even if Cripps had a quiet one I would think we would keep him in based on his good form this season. Gov sounds like he had a cracker. I think he might become a bit of an X factor for us

Cripps seemed to have a had a quite game but he played on Birchall and quelled him to 7 possessions.

Cripps seemed to have a had a quite game but he played on Birchall and quelled him to 7 possessions.

Birchall had 22 posessions but I didn't think he had his usual influence on the game. Cripps had no influence though. At all.

I wouldn't drop him though because he has been an effective forward this year

That was in the 1st half only - did a reasonable job till then, but Birchall cut him up in the 2nd half. Cripps was nowhere to be seen then, still he has been okay this year. Keeps his spot for next week.

That was in the 1st half only - did a reasonable job till then, but Birchall cut him up in the 2nd half. Cripps was nowhere to be seen then, still he has been okay this year. Keeps his spot for next week.

Fair enough!

I would keep him in and it is the first match he hasn't scored a goal. Would like to see him spend some time in the midfield though.

Re Tunbridge, I know he is injured, but when fit what type of role does he play? He is a good size for a midfielder, what are his 'weapons'? I always thought he was more a Darling type, but is he similar to say a David Myers from the bombers?

I think Skuzz has been better than Brown the past two weeks, so if we're calling for a tall to be dropped I'd pick Brown.

That said, I also think both Skuzz and Brown have been better than Glass has been this season - he's been slow against smaller opponents, and outplayed against the bigs. For me it seems he's in the side to be captain.

I'd also prefer the selectors to pay a bit more attention to the team we're up against - quick ball movement by the Hawks' smalls meant our bigs were often leaving their man to compensate. This week we've got Lynch and Dixon who are 199 and 200cm respectively, and they are reasonably agile being young big men - which leaves Glass on Sam Day, or someone much quicker. Easy and Brown will match up well on the talls this week, Brown more so than Skuzz. Hopefully we don't have images of Brown sitting absolutely stuffed on the bench after chasing Matera around all day.

For me:-

Out: Schofield (drop Glass next week so he doesn't travel)
In: Sheppard

Gov played well enough to let JK heal for another week. Hutch might be best served tagging Prestia, with Scoot on Ablett. Back Yeo head to head on Bennell.

Lycett deserves a run against a less experienced ruck division, but I can't see Cox being dropped. Which means it'd be Gov to make way in the selector's minds.

Re Tunbridge, I know he is injured, but when fit what type of role does he play? He is a good size for a midfielder, what are his 'weapons'? I always thought he was more a Darling type, but is he similar to say a David Myers from the bombers?

Some immediate ones would be size, pressure (tackling) and his attack on the footy. Not to mention he seems quite smart around goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes Vs Gold Coast Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back