Preview Changes Vs Gold Coast Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

As many have been saying on this forum, Cox isn't the All-Australian champion link up Ruckman he once was and is now Mr Wave his arms up and play for free kicks ruckman/forward guy. Unless this changes, there is little point playing him ahead of Lycett/Sinclair. (IMHO)

He has had little no impact this year, in fact he is starting to become a liability due to his lack of run and influence around the ground. Lycetts strength is his ability to move up and down the ground with pace, he can also take a mark and kick goals. We really need to get more games into him.

He has had little no impact this year, in fact he is starting to become a liability due to his lack of run and influence around the ground. Lycetts strength is his ability to move up and down the ground with pace, he can also take a mark and kick goals. We really need to get more games into him.

Agree on Lycett and even Sinclair as a forward is more likely to clunk a pack mark then Cox is.

Out

Glass, Hutchings, Cripps, Gaff, Cox or Nata

In

Sheppard, Tunbridge, Lycett and lucky last Maginess or Sheed or Karpany

With Cripps getting 2 possessions and Hill doing not much, bringing in Karpany isn't that silly.
Karpany has great agility and pace so bringing in him as a sub to provide some spark is not a bad idea.
His endurance isn't great as he missed preseason but he is that mid/forward type that could give us some crumbing power.
He cant do any worse than Cripps game today.

Considering Karpany can barely get a touch in East Perth reserves it is that silly.

Maginess is rookies listed so not even an option.

Out: Cox, Hutchings/Selwood, Shoey
In: Lycett, Sheed, Sheppard.

Last edited:

Why hasnt anyone mentioned Sinclar??
Kicked 6 , had over 25 possessions and ripped it up against Perth.
Played much better than Lycett so why isnt he in contention?
Kennedy isnt in the best of form why does he automatically get a game ?
Cox needs to have the week off , Gov needs to stay in the side so that leaves 1 tall to come in.

Lycett has been in better form for longer. Granted Sinclair had a ripper on the weekend, but over the last 6 weeks Lycett deserves a crack, Kennedy kicked 11 only 3 weeks ago, so why not play him.

After just watching the replay Im surprised so many people are calling for Hutchings to be dropped. There were many worse than him.

Out: Cox, Selwood
In: Lycett, Sheed

Yet he offeres us absolutely nothing instead of a stack of meaningless posessions.

And we already have Priddis doing that job, we can't be carrying 2 of them.

Re Cox - Some people are talking like playing Lycett sounds like "playing the kids". It really isn't. Lycett would offer us a truckload around the ground more then Cox can right now. At the moment, Cox is literally offering us nothing. Like Champ said, he's actually crippling us by squibbing at too many contests and playing for free kicks.

After just watching the replay Im surprised so many people are calling for Hutchings to be dropped. There were many worse than him.

Out: Cox, Selwood
In: Lycett, Sheed

The moment he decided to square it to Hurn instead of taking the kick himself was the moment he lost my faith. Selwood, Masten, Shuey, Gaff, all have the potential to be more, and when they are on, can do some damage. Hutchings offers no such prospect, and if we are looking at challenging for a flag in 2-4 years then Sheed needs to be playing instead of him. Hutchings is a depth player, pure and simple.

It's amazing how quick people have jumped off the Hutchings bandwagon this season.

The same people now saying he's going nowhere were claiming he would be an integral part of our midfield less than 12 months ago.
Agreed. Considering he's had the least amount of game time of our mids due to his back injury earlier in the year, I don't think it's fair. Hasn't had a good pre season because of it. I don't think he will be dropped, he is learning just as much as everyone else in the team.

I'd like to see Lycett in for Cox.
Smith in for someone, I like his hair and think he is one of those guys that will play better at AFL level.
Colledge for Priddis just cause. I'd prefer Shawwod to go back to tagging and Selwood to play Priddis role whatever that is.

It's amazing how quick people have jumped off the Hutchings bandwagon this season.

The same people now saying he's going nowhere were claiming he would be an integral part of our midfield less than 12 months ago.
I saw him live against GWS early last season and said he would not make AFL standard. He hasn't and will not. he adds nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see Lycett in for Cox.
Smith in for someone, I like his hair and think he is one of those guys that will play better at AFL level.
Colledge for Priddis just cause. I'd prefer Shawwod to go back to tagging and Selwood to play Priddis role whatever that is.

Well the coach has to do something or why have one? One of the things he must do is motivate players. He chastised players against Nth Melb for lack of effort. Is this a sign of a lack of motivation or something wrong in the club or both? There were patches where they appeared to slacken off against the Hawks. It is too easy to say the Hawks went up a gear. Was it that they appeared to go up a gear because we slackened off just a little because they were feeling the fatigue towards the end of the 2nd and 3rd quarters. This is what tells; to perform when the game is up for grabs. When the going gets tough the tough get going as the saying goes. We consistently fail to do this. OK we won the last quarter but the game was already lost. I doubt very much that Simpson was able to turn the motivation switch completely in a week.

One of the things that must be done is to reward performance and provide a negative reward for non performers. Lycett and Sinclair are both good prospects and have performed consistently and well. They must be played - in a rotation maybe. I don't care if there are three rucks, you must find a way to play your best players. I don't know what the story is with Cox. He appears to be not strong enough these days or it could be that he is more interested in coaching than playing. It also takes effort to run. Why should he when NN was given a 5 mil contract when he was performing quite poorly. Are we rewarding performance? I watched Cox's play carefully against the Hawks and he seemed to have a lot of people holding on to him and this may explain why he is often calling for a free kick.

Smith did well on the w-e and should also be rewarded.

I would also have a monetary reward for good performance on defined attributes and provide a fine for poor performance (I don't know if they do this already). This sort of thing is a motivator.

In spite of all this we still have the small midfield problem. How to fix this in the short term is a challenge. Maybe use NN as a ruck rover.

Lycett/Sinclair NN Shuey

Using NN this way opens up a lot of possibilities. We have lots of good rucks but a shortage of big bodied midfielders.

I would also be using Schofield on a wing.

Maybe Hurn to HF because he is such a good kick and he can bypass the scrum and kick from 50. Smith might be able to do this as well.

Unless something changes we will continue to be beaten.

Coach please surprise us.

The moment he decided to square it to Hurn instead of taking the kick himself was the moment he lost my faith. Selwood, Masten, Shuey, Gaff, all have the potential to be more, and when they are on, can do some damage. Hutchings offers no such prospect, and if we are looking at challenging for a flag in 2-4 years then Sheed needs to be playing instead of him. Hutchings is a depth player, pure and simple.
That handball over the top to Darling in the F50 when he should have taken a shot also sticks in my memory.

To be honest, i'm one of the few who never saw Hutchings as anything other then WAFL dwelling depth. To be played only in need.

The fact we're starting him with virtually a full and healthy 22 speaks volumes.

I agree with what you're saying though. There were a few too many people getting unreasonably excited and spouting "bring back the hutch" after his pre season game against the swans. Those people have hopefully turned the fanboi meter down a bit.

That handball over the top to Darling in the F50 when he should have taken a shot also sticks in my memory.
He squared to Hurn and Hurn kicked the goal, not sure what the problem is, that shows footy smarts, he knows Hurn is a very reliable shot for goal so he gave it off to him. At least he put himself in a position to get a shot on goal and held the mark.

The handball over the top to Darling was as much Darling's fault, Darling should have called him through to take shot and lay a bone crunching bump on the nearest opponent, instead he stood there with his back to goal and didn't move but called for the ball then stuffed up when he got it. Again Hutchings actually put himself into a position to give that option and again put himself into a position to have a shot at goal which is more than some other mids have been doing. Not to mention he laid 5 tackles that day and worked hard for 28 possessions and 9 marks, as much as any other mid that day. His DE% was 67.9%, higher than LeCras', Ellis's, Masten's, Darling's, Priddis' and Rosa's. The AFL average is 72%.

Seeing him at training and at WAFL level he's actually quite a good shot at goal and probably could have taken those options himself, but he's been injured interrupted and he's building his confidence back up. Given an extended time in the AFL and a couple good goals i'm sure he'll start showing his best qualities.

He squared to Hurn and Hurn kicked the goal, not sure what the problem is, that shows footy smarts, he knows Hurn is a very reliable shot for goal so he gave it off to him. At least he put himself in a position to get a shot on goal and held the mark.

The handball over the top to Darling was as much Darling's fault, Darling should have called him through to take shot and lay a bone crunching bump on the nearest opponent, instead he stood there with his back to goal and didn't move but called for the ball then stuffed up when he got it. Again Hutchings actually put himself into a position to give that option and again put himself into a position to have a shot at goal which is more than some other mids have been doing. Not to mention he laid 5 tackles that day and worked hard for 28 possessions and 9 marks, as much as any other mid that day. His DE% was 67.9%, higher than LeCras', Ellis's, Masten's, Darling's, Priddis' and Rosa's. The AFL average is 72%.

Seeing him at training and at WAFL level he's actually quite a good shot at goal and probably could have taken those options himself, but he's been injured interrupted and he's building his confidence back up. Given an extended time in the AFL and a couple good goals i'm sure he'll start showing his best qualities.

I dont know about you, but I don't want our midfield lacking belief in front of the sticks, so much so that he hands it to a defender in a position that aint much better. It's this complancy that is seeing us where we are today.

Let me ask you this. Would you prefer Hutchings or Mitchell from the Swans? I know I'd go the latter, which points to the issue.

Last edited:
That's a really good effort from Brown. Breust can be one of those small forwards that WC find difficult to contain, who ends up kicking 3-4 goals and having field day.

From memory Brown did a similarly good job against the Roos when he played on Thomas. Sure made a silly error but in the grand scheme of things I think he has done a good defensive job in the great majority of games played. Our position on the ladder cannot be attributed to our defensive unit.

Well the coach has to do something or why have one? One of the things he must do is motivate players. He chastised players against Nth Melb for lack of effort. Is this a sign of a lack of motivation or something wrong in the club or both? There were patches where they appeared to slacken off against the Hawks. It is too easy to say the Hawks went up a gear. Was it that they appeared to go up a gear because we slackened off just a little because they were feeling the fatigue towards the end of the 2nd and 3rd quarters. This is what tells; to perform when the game is up for grabs. When the going gets tough the tough get going as the saying goes. We consistently fail to do this. OK we won the last quarter but the game was already lost. I doubt very much that Simpson was able to turn the motivation switch completely in a week.

One of the things that must be done is to reward performance and provide a negative reward for non performers. Lycett and Sinclair are both good prospects and have performed consistently and well. They must be played - in a rotation maybe. I don't care if there are three rucks, you must find a way to play your best players. I don't know what the story is with Cox. He appears to be not strong enough these days or it could be that he is more interested in coaching than playing. It also takes effort to run. Why should he when NN was given a 5 mil contract when he was performing quite poorly. Are we rewarding performance? I watched Cox's play carefully against the Hawks and he seemed to have a lot of people holding on to him and this may explain why he is often calling for a free kick.

Smith did well on the w-e and should also be rewarded.

I would also have a monetary reward for good performance on defined attributes and provide a fine for poor performance (I don't know if they do this already). This sort of thing is a motivator.

In spite of all this we still have the small midfield problem. How to fix this in the short term is a challenge. Maybe use NN as a ruck rover.

Lycett/Sinclair NN Shuey

Using NN this way opens up a lot of possibilities. We have lots of good rucks but a shortage of big bodied midfielders.

I would also be using Schofield on a wing.

Maybe Hurn to HF because he is such a good kick and he can bypass the scrum and kick from 50. Smith might be able to do this as well.

Unless something changes we will continue to be beaten.

Coach please surprise us.
You are spot on with Natanui.
He is the best big bodied midfielder we have.
Pity he is our best ruck an as well.

Yet he offeres us absolutely nothing instead of a stack of meaningless posessions.

And we already have Priddis doing that job, we can't be carrying 2 of them.

Re Cox - Some people are talking like playing Lycett sounds like "playing the kids". It really isn't. Lycett would offer us a truckload around the ground more then Cox can right now. At the moment, Cox is literally offering us nothing. Like Champ said, he's actually crippling us by squibbing at too many contests and playing for free kicks.
I agree in regards to Cox but disagree about Hutchings.
I dont know about you, but I don't want our midfield lacking belief in front of the sticks, so much so that he hands it to a defender in a position that aint much better. It's this complancy that is seeing us where we are today.

Let me ask you this. Would you prefer Hutchings or Mitchell from the Swans? I know I'd go the latter, which points to the issue.
He squared it to a senior player in space who was also screaming for the ball. Lets not forget Shannon Hurn has a beautiful kick and the minute he had it the 6 points were in the bag. IMO he made an intelligent decision, even more so if the game was on the line. You should also note that he hit Hurn on the chest, Masten would of made Hurn work and Selwood would have kicked it over his head.

sheed should be a permanent in. i can't fathom why we're playing hacks like hutchings ahead of him.

mitch brown out if we need to drop a tall defender. schofield brings SO much more to the table.

i'd also seriously be questioning whether we continue carrying the likes of wellingham, cripps and selwood. not sure we have much to replace them with though :thumbsdown:

I agree in regards to Cox but disagree about Hutchings.

He squared it to a senior player in space who was also screaming for the ball. Lets not forget Shannon Hurn has a beautiful kick and the minute he had it the 6 points were in the bag. IMO he made an intelligent decision, even more so if the game was on the line. You should also note that he hit Hurn on the chest, Masten would of made Hurn work and Selwood would have kicked it over his head.

Shows what kind of side we are when hitting another player on the chest, 10 metres away in space is a mentionable quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes Vs Gold Coast Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back