Fb: Picken roughead Morris
Hb: wood Roberts Murphy
C: Macrae Boyd bontempelli
Hf: crameri jones hunter
Ff: dal redpath stringer
R: minson Libba griff
Ic: hrovat, Darley, Stevens, JJ
That team is one piece of ace

From now on let's just fix anyone who's broken, give anyone who needs more exposure at top level a game and consolidation at top level for the rest of our young fellas. I'll take a win, but there's more priorities now so we're ready to go first up next year.

In : Smith Roberts ........ Trial Roughead forward and assisting in the ruck
Out : Stevens Cooney

Just had a look our VFL team has the bye this week as well...... AWESOME scheduling :rolleyes:
Sorry to intrude but it's consistent across the board. Northern Blues, North Ballarat, Werribee, Sandringham, Geelong, Essendon and Footscray all play this week and have next week off, Box Hill, Richmond and Collingwood the reverse.

Anyway, hopefully Fletch gets a gig, was hoping to see him play yesterday but alas, I didn't. Good luck for the rest of the season fellas

Out - cooney
In - jones

Out - Austin
In - Roberts

Out - wallis (inj)
In - Darley

Fb: Picken roughead Morris
Hb: wood Roberts Murphy
C: Macrae Boyd bontempelli
Hf: crameri jones hunter
Ff: dal redpath stringer
R: minson Libba griff
Ic: hrovat, Darley, Stevens, JJ

That looks about right fronka.

What's Wally's injury? If he gets up I'd drop Boyd for Darley.

Boyd is done as far as I'm concerned. Nothing epitomises Boyd's shortfalls more than one of his handball's he did on the weekend. He lobbed one over the top of a Bomber's players head to..... 5 meters of space, only for Bombers to come in to contest the ball again. It was similar to the one earlier in the year where he handballed straight out bounds under no pressure whatsoever. Great servant of the club and an excellent onballer at his peak but unfortunately I think his time has come. We have plenty of other players in the side that provide what he does to an equal level or greater. We aren't starved of players that can get the hard ball anymore. Time to bring in some more polish to the side (Darley).

I don't see any value in resting player's after a bye. Does anyone know the specifics of Roughead's shoulder injury as the injury he had earlier in the year was to his AC joint, which is a much smaller and less significant joint in the shoulder if he hasn't sustained a new injury to the major joint in the shoulder then there's no real risk in playing him if he's able to.

Remembering that we now have a week off, and given Wallis had his foot stomped on, I think he will come up.

Its a no brainer to drop Austin for Roberts. Austin should stay out, and Roberts should stay in, fort he rest of the season. Not Austin bashing, we know he has his limitations, but Roberts is the future for that spot, and Austin is not.

Cooney for Jones I like too, and I would like to find a spot back in the side for Honeychurch, possibly the sub.

A lot of these outs people are calling for seem to be purely because they want their favourites to play.
I especially don't understand the call for Roberts in for Austin.

If anything, based on form, I would be giving Austin a run on whoever Morris would normally play on and then bring Roberts in for Morris to play on whoever Austin would have taken. I think Morris is a champion and am happy for him to play on, but he has been getting slaughtered over the last month and a half. Austin has shown he can keep his opponents quiet. Why not give him a go where Morris has been struggling? I mean, if people can call for Cooney to be dropped, then surely the same can be said for Morris.

As for the calls of Roberts being the future. That is true, but Austin is 25, not 32.

Cooney needs to get the Higgins treatment. No free rides. Especially when the kids are playing out of their skins right now.

From now on let's just fix anyone who's broken, give anyone who needs more exposure at top level a game and consolidation at top level for the rest of our young fellas. I'll take a win, but there's more priorities now so we're ready to go first up next year.

Agreed. And on that basis I've changed my mind...

Out: Cooney, Austin, Roughead (surgery - rest for the balance of the season).
In: Honeychurch, Talia, Roberts.

Let's give our new look defensive partnership 5 or so games to get established together and see how they both cope at CHB and FB, with Morris there to guide them. We need to work out whether we draft the best KPD available, or look at a sneaky option (Jaksch) and use pick 5-ish for speed and silk.

Roughead must have a major niggle somewhere other than his shoulders because Carlisle exposed him for mobility as well.

It's time to book him in and get him right for when we'll actually be knocking on the door of the 8. Roberts to come in - not sure what else he has to do to get a crack.

Other than that, I'd be getting Jones back in - and if we're lead to believe that Redpath stays in for the rest of the year (and I hope he does) then you'd have to drop either Austin, Picken or Cooney. Everyone else played too well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd is done as far as I'm concerned.

He kept Stanton to 17 disposals, while getting 22 of his own plus a goal.
If keeping a player who can rack them up down to 17 disposals and no impact on the scoreboard, while picking up more possessions than his opponent AND kicking a goal is done for, then I can only imagine what a good game would look like.

If keeping a player who can rack them up down to 17 disposals and no impact on the scoreboard, while picking up more possessions than his opponent AND kicking a goal is done for, then I can only imagine what a good game would look like.

Have to agree , I'm starting to think Boyd must be an axe murderer. Was very good Sunday.
But I have given up defending him to those that want him hung drawn and quartered every time he stuffs up .

Out of those 22 how many were either useless or direct turnovers?? Take those away from his possesion count and Stanton might come out on top (you'd have to take Stanton's clangers away as well to make it fair). Or better yet, how many of Boyds turnovers resulted in goals? Compare that to Stantons and again he might come out on top. I don't know the answers to those questions, but my point is that you can't just look at numbers and come up with a statement as to how useful a player was during a game. There's more to it than that.

Aside from that though, I don't really like having 2 negating players through the midfield. If we can have Wally do the tagging and instead of Boyd having 22 dodgy disposals we have one of Hrovat/Bonts/Macrae/whoever getting 30 QUALITY disposals instead, then that's better to me. OK, Stanton might get half a dozen more disposals than he would have if Boyd was on him but the quality possession we'd be getting out of Boyd's replacement would account for that easily. AND we'd be putting more game time into youngsters. If for example, Hrovat is playing more on the ball instead of Boyd, then that's games we could be putting into Honeychurch in the forward line.

There's so many reasons that I think we'd be better off retiring Boyd this year. If he wants to play on like Crossy, then great he goes with our blessing.

Out of those 22 how many were either useless or direct turnovers?? Take those away from his possesion count and Stanton might come out on top (you'd have to take Stanton's clangers away as well to make it fair). Or better yet, how many of Boyds turnovers resulted in goals? Compare that to Stantons and again he might come out on top. I don't know the answers to those questions, but my point is that you can't just look at numbers and come up with a statement as to how useful a player was during a game. There's more to it than that.

Aside from that though, I don't really like having 2 negating players through the midfield. If we can have Wally do the tagging and instead of Boyd having 22 dodgy disposals we have one of Hrovat/Bonts/Macrae/whoever getting 30 QUALITY disposals instead, then that's better to me. OK, Stanton might get half a dozen more disposals than he would have if Boyd was on him but the quality possession we'd be getting out of Boyd's replacement would account for that easily. AND we'd be putting more game time into youngsters. If for example, Hrovat is playing more on the ball instead of Boyd, then that's games we could be putting into Honeychurch in the forward line.

There's so many reasons that I think we'd be better off retiring Boyd this year. If he wants to play on like Crossy, then great he goes with our blessing.

Think you need to take the blinkers off and watch the replay again. 22 dodgy disposals ---really ? But got to admit you will have plenty on here that will agree with you.

Out of those 22 how many were either useless or direct turnovers?? ...

I did a comparison.

Boyd average disposal efficiency this season vs others. Three cop hard tags on a regular basis, the others normally don't.

Boyd: 66.5%
Stanton: 73.7%
Judd: 65.8%
Barlow: 69%
Mitchell: 71%
Heppell: 67.6%
Prestia: 68.8%
Dangerfield: 61.4%
Kennedy: 64.2%
Rockliff: 65.6%

He isn't too far off.

He is also playing a more defensive game this season and has been quite successful at it.
I understand what you are saying, but he is playing a very important role. He is negating an opposition ball getter, while still getting a lot of the ball himself. He has averaged 27.5 disposals a game playing this role.
I honestly don't see Honeychurch being able to do something like this. I would also rather have someone who can do it well playing instead of having just one tagger and then making every 18 & 19 year old go head to head against seasoned veterans in the midfield. They will get eaten alive. That isn't development. That's getting mauled and getting confidence shattered. Just look at the mess Melbourne are working to clean up. Baby steps. They need to transition, not just straight swap. The young players time will come, but the ones missing out who can play midfield are missing out because you can't have a full team of kids playing out there.

Can we please, please play with two talls for once this year...???

IN: Higgins, Jones, Roberts
OUT: Wallis, Austin, Hunter

FB: Picken Roughead Morris
HB: Wood Roberts Murphy
C: Stevens Boyd Macrae
HF: Cooney Jones Crameri
FF: Dahlhaus Redpath Stringer

RUC: Minson, Griffen, Liberatore

INT: Higgins, Johanissen, Bontempelli, Hrovat

If we need to tag does anybody think Jong will get a second crack at it this season?
At the very least for my Pieman. At the very least.
I'd just use Boyd and Picken and add Darley or Higgins in for Wally and balance the side out a bit more. Wouldn't be surprised if Jong got a shot though and it would be good to see how much he has improved since the start of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back