Prediction Changes Vs St Kilda round 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Xon and Shuey swap should be all for now.

Petch and Jones are going ok but if winder plays another 2 or so games kicking 3+ goals then there may be a change.

Would be interesting to see what the coaches have laid out for them and what triggers they have to meet each game. I dare say that goals would be an "extra" for both of them given the scoring power for the rest of the forward line. I think a pass mark would be somethibg more like.

3-5 tackles
20 pressure acts
3-5 score involvments
10 possessions
80% game time/limited rotations

And in that kind of order too.

I think when we drafted Winder he was/has played a little in the midfield yeah? Maybe hard for him at the next level given his size/age but if he had that ability to rotate into the guts for us for a few short stints to help with rotations then that would be an extra string to his bow that petrol and jj (bar preseason games) can't do and could put him ahead.

Looking at Xon in his last game for us against bulldogs he seemed quite out on his feet at stages (maybe dogs and generalyl running the team ragged) and more so than other team mates. Maybe if Winder came in and played like 20% mid and 80% fwd he could give Xon that 20% chop out to get his breath back and have more of an impact when he is on ball.

Did Williams play any wafl minutes? I know he is doing his mini preseason now to get fit again but thought he at least was over the ankle injury as such and therefore was ok to play?

On SM-N950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Williams didn't play for the Beagles.

Just looking at the WAFL site and the summary of the Perth v Beagle game, XON is not listed in the best for WC? N Vardy, B Ainsworth, I Winder, H Edwards are the four (and only four - they listed 6 players for Perth's best) chosen.

I didn't watch the game, but is there a logical reason why XON didn't get in the best 5 players for WC, despite have the most possessions on the ground for both sides? From the chat on here, nobody seems to be saying he was cherry picking possessions - sounds like he was doing the dirty work too.

Was Gary Stocks listing our best or...?

Williams didn't play for the Beagles.

Just looking at the WAFL site and the summary of the Perth v Beagle game, XON is not listed in the best for WC? N Vardy, B Ainsworth, I Winder, H Edwards are the four (and only four - they listed 6 players for Perth's best) chosen.

I didn't watch the game, but is there a logical reason why XON didn't get in the best 5 players for WC, despite have the most possessions on the ground for both sides? From the chat on here, nobody seems to be saying he was cherry picking possessions - sounds like he was doing the dirty work too.

Was Gary Stocks listing our best or...?

He was easy BOG for the game.

No way is Trew in ahead of XON.
I have to agree, but I think they both have a lot to offer. Long term, Trew may be the bargain pick of the draft. I actually want to see both play.

Are they similar players? Trew seems to lay more tackles and XON gets a few more kicks, but are they otherwise similar?
What we need to add, especially with Yeo out, is that physical tackling pressure through the middle.

If we have to rest Oscar, doing it on a travel week might make sense. Regardless, if we do, let's please NOT Vardy replace him. Waterman or a shuffle please.

I just also wanted to point out that whilst Sydney's first year players have come on incredibly well people need to understand that both of their academy picks had 7+ years in the academy system before being drafted and are likely well ahead of other first year players in regards to body conditioning and knowing game structures. On top of this you then have Warner in his second season having had a year to pick it up and McDonald having played a season against men prior to this year before entering the system. On top of this not only did he have a year playing against men but he was dominant in doing so. I still can't fathom how he wasn't the number 1 draft pick.

Who ever did this was taking the piss.
vardy was actually very good.
Ainsworth was good but meh with his kicking.
Winder was good but sorta lucky with some of the goals.
Edwards was sloppy at the start and finished really strongly but to note his man was having a great game and then got injured.

Xon and Vards were clear standouts then Winder and then Trew.
57BBF94E-0BEC-4048-A0E0-C6EC7E7BEF38.jpeg

Last edited:
I come bearing bad news... saints players have reportedly had honest chats during the week, so I apologise in advance before they put you guys to the sword as a result.

Sorry. 👍
Honest chats are always the key to victory.

I come bearing bad news... saints players have reportedly had honest chats during the week, so I apologise in advance before they put you guys to the sword as a result.

Sorry. 👍
This has close game written all over it. We'll still win imo but it'll be one of those hair pullers with lead changes galore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are Failmantle on the cusp of a dynasty as well?

Fold the Club ?

Are swear you're an alias of someone that got no enjoyment out of any game and was banned from the board, 1 or 2 years ago.

Name escapes me
Figure09 think you're talking about

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

Trew has played one in season senior game against men in the WAFL. Yes 24 disposals and 10 tackles is great but he needs a few more games to adjust to WAFL pace before taking the next step up. O'Niell was BOG with 31 disposals and by my count (watching) 13 clearances on the weekend. Fully deserves the recall. Is exactly what you want from a midfielder dropping back down, he dominated.
Yeah that's fine but XON has had a heap (around 10 I think?) of chances in the AFL and hasn't had 1 standout game. I don't think XON is strong enough to win his own ball in AFL, he's not fast enough to be an outside player either.

Yeah that's fine but XON has had a heap (around 10 I think?) of chances in the AFL and hasn't had 1 standout game.

O’Neill has played a total of seven games, the first five of them came in the space of 18 days in the second hub last year.

He’s also never played more than 75 per cent game time. And for the majority of his games that’s less than 75 per cent of shortened games.

But new is always better, so let’s get Trew in.

Yeah that's fine but XON has had a heap (around 10 I think?) of chances in the AFL and hasn't had 1 standout game. I don't think XON is strong enough to win his own ball in AFL, he's not fast enough to be an outside player either.
His speed was one of his strengths at draft time. He's got that burst speed like Shuey.

remember how sh*t Sheed was in his first year?
Sheed wasn’t established best 22 a couple of months out from the 2018 finals. That was his 5th year with 70 games to his name

Sheed wasn’t established best 22 a couple of months out from the 2018 finals. That was his 5th year with 70 games to his name
His career has always been topsy turvy. Our midfield has never bat deep but he's always struggled cause he's been shoved into a hf/wing but then thrived when he had more on ball time.

This year he has really stepped up with the loss of Shuey and Yeo.

2nd for clearances in the comp, 7th for contested possessions and 16th for disposals. As good as he has been, I reckon there's another level for him left to go

Last edited:

Sorry. 👍
Hmm, well clearly honesty is no longer what it used to be?
To coin an old Thunderdome term - two teams enter, one team leaves!
Someone's gotta lose (unless it's a draw)...bring it on!

XON for Shuey the obvious one. XON was bloody unlucky to get dropped in the first place.

After five goals might be time to give Winder a go, with Petch on the chopping block. Prob Petch or Ah Chee as sub with Langdon getting a full game in the WAFL. Saw us say we won't play the same guy as sub two weeks running, which is probably something most clubs will run with. I'm not really too fussed who they bring in as long as it's someone performing for the Beagles. I think it's WAFL time for Petch. Need to make him really earn that spot back and light the fire underneath him.

Tactically would like to see us share that second ruck around rather than just default to Allen. If Marshall returns, and McKernan stays as a second ruck with Carlisle returning to the backline, this is probably not too bad a result as McKernan is not the biggest guy going around. But if Saints just straight swap Marshall for McKernan and Carlisle retains the second ruck role, that's two weeks in a row Oscar is going up against a 200cm+/100kg+ beast. If their AFL profiles are to be believed, Allen is giving up 19KG's on Carlisle. I don't think that is correct (Allen listed at 87 - pretty sure he'd be around 92/93/94 now), but I'm sure it would be at least 10 which is still fairly significant weight disadvantage. Allen is already looking a little beat up (hand brace at training, shoulder scare against Dogs) and it's only Round 3.

All in all, more of the same of the Port match please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back