List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We cant. We just cant. We cannot let O'Brien draft yet another backman when we are clearly midfield deficient

As i stated earlier in the thread i really, really hope Buslinger is draft by another club to remove the choice from O'Brien, because i cannot see him not selecting him if available

Kid can play, but that selection given our needs would be a mistake

We often don’t pick backs in the first round do we?

2005: Hurn
2006: Mitch Brown (KPF at the time)
2009: Sheppard
2014: Duggan

You could take the pessimistic view on Chesser and suggest he may fail as a mid and end up a defender but even allowing for that there’s no real trend of us taking defenders early.

Current backline:

Barrass (45)
McGovern (rookie)
Edwards (rookie)
Rotham (38?)
Cole (27?)
Foley (32)
Jones (rookie)
Bazzo (32)

Edit: I now realise you meant more that we are overstocked with defenders, I guess I am more replying to a general board myth.

I did have a good conversation with Monocle and AsterixTheGaul on this. I love Busslinger, and I see him as less KPD but more quarterback, 3rd tall, rebounding defender. He racks the ball up across half back and uses it so well.
I'm not oppose to the idea, as I think he'd be a great player for us.
But 5 to 15 is going to be choc filled with plenty of good midfield options. I'd almost love to get two now and look at other positional needs with later picks and future drafts.

At 8, it would really depend who was left. I'd personally prefer Mackenzie or Phillipou.
What about you?
Hawthorn taking a guy at 7 who will need to eat an entire herd of water buffalo before he is AFL ready is interesting. If we pass on Phillipou twice I will build a trebuchet and fire Rohan O'Brien into the sun.
I just said that on the Norf board in response to a mock draft that had us passing on Phillipou twice. I'd actually be fine with us taking Busslinger now that we've split, it isn't melt worthy provided that we take a couple of mids with our other picks. Busslinger would be able to learn from a couple of the best tall defenders in the business and then take over from Gov when he retires.

I did have a good conversation with Monocle and AsterixTheGaul on this. I love Busslinger, and I see him as less KPD but more quarterback, 3rd tall, rebounding defender. He racks the ball up across half back and uses it so well.
I'm not oppose to the idea, as I think he'd be a great player for us.
But 5 to 15 is going to be choc filled with plenty of good midfield options. I'd almost love to get two now and look at other positional needs with later picks and future drafts.

At 8, it would really depend who was left. I'd personally prefer Mackenzie or Phillipou.
What about you?
It would be the same reason you have Humphrey so low (kicking) and Tsatas.

McKenzie would be a great fit for us his decision making and kicking are elite. He’s the kind of guy you want the ball in his hand the way the game is played now so he can pull the trigger and bring back through the corridor.
The issue with the poo is he could be anything (bont like) but he could also be the next big bodied mid on the scrap heap. Be a risk but could pay handsomely 👍🏻

It would be the same reason you have Humphrey so low (kicking) and Tsatas.

McKenzie would be a great fit for us his decision making and kicking are elite. He’s the kind of guy you want the ball in his hand the way the game is played now so he can pull the trigger and bring back through the corridor.
The issue with the poo is he could be anything (bont like) but he could also be the next big bodied mid on the scrap heap. Be a risk but could pay handsomely 👍🏻
I do also like Mackenzie has a little burst of speed to get out of congestion to use that kick.

I just said that on the Norf board in response to a mock draft that had us passing on Phillipou twice. I'd actually be fine with us taking Busslinger now that we've split, it isn't melt worthy provided that we take a couple of mids with our other picks. Busslinger would be able to learn from a couple of the best tall defenders in the business and then take over from Gov when he retires.
If we passed on Phillipou at 12, that would be hard to stomach.
I feel 20 is probably the last pick we'd have to take another decent mid.

If we passed on Phillipou at 12, that would be hard to stomach.
I feel 20 is probably the last pick we'd have to take another decent mid.
Realistically no one is going to take hewett before our 3rd pick?? Seems ginbey is a lock for pick 1. Pick 2 has to be the best player available - hopefully Philipou. roll the dice with hewett not being picked before our 3rd pick

Realistically no one is going to take hewett before our 3rd pick?? Seems ginbey is a lock for pick 1. Pick 2 has to be the best player available - hopefully Philipou. roll the dice with hewett not being picked before our 3rd pick
Be a brave move to hope that Hewitt is available at pick 20. Do yourself a favour and go and watch the WA vs Vic Metro game. No way Hewitt gets to 20

I think Hewett will go somewhere between 10 to 15, I'd be surprised but delighted if he slipped 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With 8 I want MacKenzie and ok with Ginbey. Both I think have decent ceilings with minimal risk.

From there, we build the draft hand and can take some risks. Phillipou has significant upside, Hotton and Hewett also have interest.

I’d be ok running the risk of Hewett with 20 as the fall back is a Burgiel or Weddle. Clarke at 26 look appealing.

If the club can decide how we will develop Allen, ok with him at 26.

Broadbent with a late pick (sell our F4)

Cleaver Smith Gilbey as rookies

With 8 I want MacKenzie and ok with Ginbey. Both I think have decent ceilings with minimal risk.

From there, we build the draft hand and can take some risks. Phillipou has significant upside, Hotton and Hewett also have interest.

I’d be ok running the risk of Hewett with 20 as the fall back is a Burgiel or Weddle. Clarke at 26 look appealing.

I’m guessing at least one of Ginbey and Mackenzie will be there at 8

Wardlaw, Tsatas, Sheezel, Cadman, Clark and probably Humphrey will all be gone by our pick so at least one of your preferences will be left

Having traded Meek and Lobb, Fremantle are likely in the market for a ruck so could take Broadbent with 44 or 67. Doubt they go as early as 30 for him

No a fan of the helmet?

Don't want Darcy Jones. Small, skinny and on a set shot 40m is his distance. On the run 50m from boot to ground is about his mark.

If he could kick a bit further I would be stoked to have him on the list. I just see it as a straight run the line through his name. Outside of that even with his height and weight he is a great prospect. Just with the shallow kicking I see it hard for him to break games open and he's a HF/Wing not a small forward. I may be being a little harsh (but then thats what i do)

Also don't want Gilbey. Lack of production combined with amazing athletic ability points towards low footy IQ. Also a dead average kick at best.

8: Mackenzie
12: Phillipou
20: Hewett
26: Jakob Ryan or Burgiel

I think Phillipou and Hewett will be there. Mackenzie and Ryan/Burgiel i'm not so sure about.

If he somehow makes it Kobe Ryan with first rookie pick and either Knobel or Broadbent with second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back