List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safe to say none of Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas and Cadman will all be gone by our pick as along with Ashcroft it seems they’re a relatively unanimous top 5.

Means that whilst 3 of the following will be taken before our selection we’ll be able to take 2 of the following:

Busslinger
Ginbey
Hewett
Phillipou
Humphrey
Mackenzie
Clark
Hollands
Jefferson

Whilst posters will have views on which two they’d prefer us to draft, I’m curious as to which, if any, of those people would be disappointed to see on our list

I’ve put Jefferson there because it’s seems likely he’ll be taken by someone in our range, but I expect he’d be the most unlikely selection by us. And the one nobody here would be happy with

Hotton and Hustwaite are two names that also pop up on here in discussion around who we might take but they both feel like we’d be reaching as they’d be a chance to still be there by 20. Hewett, who I suspect we’ll take at 12, is the only one I’ve listed who could slide to 20 and maybe we take that risk

Anyway, who DON’T you want from that group
Humphrey…. My sister would be a better shot at goal. He makes Cadman look like a good kick.
He’s a beast outside of that.

No to Jefferson but the rest of them all have some really good parts to there game that would be a good fit for us.

Safe to say none of Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas and Cadman will all be gone by our pick as along with Ashcroft it seems they’re a relatively unanimous top 5.

Means that whilst 3 of the following will be taken before our selection we’ll be able to take 2 of the following:

Busslinger
Ginbey
Hewett
Phillipou
Humphrey
Mackenzie
Clark
Hollands
Jefferson

Whilst posters will have views on which two they’d prefer us to draft, I’m curious as to which, if any, of those people would be disappointed to see on our list

I’ve put Jefferson there because it’s seems likely he’ll be taken by someone in our range, but I expect he’d be the most unlikely selection by us. And the one nobody here would be happy with

Hotton and Hustwaite are two names that also pop up on here in discussion around who we might take but they both feel like we’d be reaching as they’d be a chance to still be there by 20. Hewett, who I suspect we’ll take at 12, is the only one I’ve listed who could slide to 20 and maybe we take that risk

I love Busslinger, but he is very much surplus to requirements. The hope is if he is there we can parlay that into trading down a couple of spots for future picks of pick upgrades. Jefferson I wasn't too keen on, feel he is bein overhyed vs the rest of that list.

Busslinger
Ginbey
Hewett
Phillipou
Humphrey
Mackenzie
Clark
Hollands
Jefferson

At 8 I just want one of Phillipou, Humphries, McKenzie or Clark

At 12 I’d be open to all of those guys bar Jefferson

I rated Bazzo a top 10 talent last year, so was a bit surprised he dropped so far. I think Busslinger is a step above him athletically, but Bazzo may be a slightly better reader and by foot? HAven't watch as much of Busslinger as we already have Bazzo and Barrass.
I think the common misconception with Busslinger is he is a true KPD! He's a tall 3rd defender who is an offensive weapon, he's the guy you put on a shitee player and he leaves the player to impact the contest and then spreads from the contest to get the ball again and then rebound from D50. From what I've seen he's not the Barrass/McGovern incept contested marker, more like a taller Tom Stewart.

I recall a game vs SA last year he had 27 disposals and 17 marks.

Bazzo can lockdown on a player and generally has good skills coming out of D50.

Busslinger
Ginbey
Hewett
Phillipou
Humphrey
Mackenzie
Clark
Hollands
Jefferson

Like Busslinger I'm not against Jefferson, as he's a very good forward.
But we are crying out for mids, so we'd have to nail our other pick with him for me to be comfortable with it and hopefully get a midfield slider at 20 to go with it.

Arguments sake Phillipou, Jefferson, Hewett/Hotton I'm very happy.

Busslinger
Ginbey
Hewett
Phillipou
Humphrey
Mackenzie
Clark
Hollands
Jefferson

We know Busslinger isn't likely to slide to our second pick.
Ginbey may not even make it to our pick if current news reports are to be believed.

Any of the above are good calls to be honest, I'm surely warming to the pick splitting business

I’d be disappointed with Ginbey, Busslinger, Clark, Jefferson and Humphrey.

Ginbey because I think he’s being overrated. He had one game in the under 18s that was impressive but otherwise he was moderate. Judging from stats alone it seems he was less impressive at WAFL level. Not convinced he’s a midfielder and I don’t want us to use either of the top 2 picks on HBFs.

Busslinger because it’s too high a price to pay for that type of player, history suggests we can find them later in the draft. And I wasn’t blown away by his game in the under 18 champs.

Clark because he’ll probably fly home to mummy in Geelong in 2 years and we’ll be under-compensated for that.

Jefferson because I think he’ll struggle at the next level based on his physical attributes and style of play.

Humphrey because his kickings a worry for a guy who is seen as having a role up forward.

There may be more proven midfield talent than Ginbey but our team is crying out for harder players who relish the contest and beating their opponent so I'd have a hard time begrudging the club for taking him at 8.
Then we should have taken Hobbs last year rather than the polar opposite in Chesser. Im not sure an unproven midfielder who only wins 19 disposals a game should go at 8

Busslinger
Ginbey
Hewett
Phillipou
Humphrey
Mackenzie
Clark
Hollands
Jefferson

Happy with all on that list except:
Humphreys and Jefferson.

Exceptional as long as there is a genuine big bodied stopper at FB.

Busslinger is better in the air, athletically, a better kick, a better reader of play and and I think is taller however it's a max of 1-2cm and depends on how straight people are standing etc. Both are a fair bit taller than I am.

Busslinger was my safe pick at pick 2. If he's there at our first pick i'd draft him. However I still think geelong draft him now. We'll see in the coming few weeks.

Hawks and Saints the only ones i don't feel certain about their draft picks at this stage however there is a potential surprise in the nominal top 10 and we'll see whether Carlton get their wish to trade up for their target. He might not be there but our pick 8 could be involved and i'd probably do the trade for a 2 spot downgrade + their future second. (because of how infinitely s**t we are we might even get away with 8 + our future second for 10 + their future first)

Also personally I think Chesser and Hough will be HB's so if we get Jakob Ryan at one of our second round picks then I would strongly urge us to stop drafting defenders.

If Hawks go Mackenzie I think Clark is available and the same in the other direction.

Philippou is almost a certainly to last to our second pick and I genuinely think there is a very good chance that Hewett lasts till pick 20. We may only get stumped by pick 19 if someone wants to trade up for him there overnight.

The clubs issue is a KPF, Ruck and genuine inside mids and HF's moving forwards imo as Sheed and Kelly are both better more outside than right on ball.

If we don't finish last I think one of the two Big key forwards (discounting Walter) will be there for our first pick and hopefully we can draft Mitch Edwards as well to solve the ruck issue. We really need to buy a second pick in that 8-14 slot next season imo for him.

It's part of the reason why if you see who I want us to take and when I think they're potentially available in my previous post outside of Ryan they are all midfielders who can have an impact moving forward.

I'd like every sentence of this if I could.

I still like Hewitt a lot, his game against metro was arguably the best by any player. What did he heave 30 and 2? Showed his class with those goals and his explosive step.

So if Hewitt has replicated that game the entire carvival he would be pushing 5-10 range, so probably a good thing he didnt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then we should have taken Hobbs last year rather than the polar opposite in Chesser. Im not sure an unproven midfielder who only wins 19 disposals a game should go at 8
I have a few issues with the unproven midfielder comment.

In that sense, no one is proven, much less the much hyped and much touted Vic metro lads who play TAC cup and school football, our lads are often playing WAFL against men.
That 19 disposal number is a one off figure from one colts game - is that fair?

I'm not pro or anti Ginbey, just not sure on your line of thought

Hobbs 👏 didn't 👏 want 👏 to 👏 leave 👏 Victoria 👏
.. and now we can begin the whole draft tampering discussion.

When I was about 18 I had a choice - did I want to up and move to QLD?
I chose not to. Hindsight tells me it was a probably sound decision. I don't blame young footballers not all being super keen to uproot their lives.

There is a valid conversation to be had whether there is a better way forward - in its current state the draft isn't fit for purpose, proof in the pudding after the whole JHF affair

.. and now we can begin the whole draft tampering discussion.

When I was about 18 I had a choice - did I want to up and move to QLD?
I chose not to. Hindsight tells me it was a probably sound decision. I don't blame young footballers not all being super keen to uproot their lives.

There is a valid conversation to be had whether there is a better way forward - in its current state the draft isn't fit for purpose, proof in the pudding after the whole JHF affair

Bump draft age up perhaps? Would at least create some distance between school and the draft, and give teams the chance to look at all players playing against men in the state leagues.

Leaving home bothers some but not others. I moved out at 18, was doing FIFO by 19. Its not interstate work but still pretty isolated. I can't imagine it's that hard for players to move and have a full time job with 40 of their best mates.

Bump draft age up perhaps? Would at least create some distance between school and the draft, and give teams the chance to look at all players playing against men in the state leagues.

Leaving home bothers some but not others. I moved out at 18, was doing FIFO by 19. Its not interstate work but still pretty isolated. I can't imagine it's that hard for players to move and have a full time job with 40 of their best mates.
It's an interesting discussion point.
In general, technology like facetime / zoom / Webex / facebook messenger etc make it so much easier to stay in touch.
Kids are also heaps softer. I'm sure that my generation was softer than the one before etc etc. Life getting easier.

I like the idea of bumping the draft age up, but I don't think it goes far enough - not that I have any idea of what the solution is

It's also one thing to make the argument "NO ONE FORCED THE KIDS INTO NOMINATING FOR THE DRAFT" as has been made countless other times, but that's not really a valid standpoint when there's one lineal path into the AFL and it's check notes the AFL national draft.

You could expand the academy system to draft more homegrown talent and do something about matching bids and stuff, but that's a concept for someone way more invested than I am at this present time

There’s a rumour on one of the draft watchers boards that Sydney are trying to get hold of Norths pick 3 for Humphrey, trading both first rounders to get it done.

Humphrey is one I wouldn’t mind at 8, the guy’s an absolute beast and has a lovely handball. Kicking needs some work mind you but similar to Cadman, always manages to get good numbers when playing forward and inevitably has multiple shots at goal each game.

Wouldn't mind seeing the draft age raised to say 21. Kids could get a degree or a trade or whatever, play in a U21 state-based competition or something similar to the U18 carnival.

I think it's wild we draft kids at 17, especially KPP and ruckmen.
Whilst only a very small element of the problem, I keep coming back to the question of what to do in the middle of the transition of draft age

There’s a rumour on one of the draft watchers boards that Sydney are trying to get hold of Norths pick 3 for Humphrey, trading both first rounders to get it done.

Humphrey is one I wouldn’t mind at 8, the guy’s an absolute beast and has a lovely handball. Kicking needs some work mind you but similar to Cadman, always manages to get good numbers when playing forward and inevitably has multiple shots at goal each game.
Pick 3 for 14 and 17? The only way that happens is if Rawlings is trying to get fired like George Costanza.

FM-E3iYVkAAst1Z.jpg

Is distance with his kicking something Jones could improve as he gets older and stronger or would another 5 or so metres not make much difference
Considering most AFL players can kick 60. As a designated kicker if you could only do small chips around 40m then that takes away a lot of damage that you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back