List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering most AFL players can kick 60. As a designated kicker if you could only do small chips around 40m then that takes away a lot of damage that you can do.
Can they? I reckon most AFL players can barely kick 50. The 60+ are the exception, not the rule

I still like Hewitt a lot, his game against metro was arguably the best by any player. What did he heave 30 and 2? Showed his class with those goals and his explosive step.

So if Hewitt has replicated that game the entire carvival he would be pushing 5-10 range, so probably a good thing he didnt

Be funny if WCE told him to cool his jets after that game

Can they? I reckon most AFL players can barely kick 50. The 60+ are the exception, not the rule

Most players can kick 55-60m on the run from foot to it hitting the ground. The big penetration 2-3 step guys 60m onto a chest etc are rare as rocking horse shit.

Players generally have max kicking distance at 18/19 years of age and it stays that way until about 26-27 and then they start to lose distance due to hamstrings, quad reflex etc.

Two really contrasting opinions there - Monocle, why doesn't B Bear interest you?

His kicking is a long way off afl standard,
everything else about his game I really like, if he was a half decent kick I could make an allowance, but his kicking IMO is so bad it a red flag.

Maybe I am just real unlucky, but every game I watched him play, had to many oh sh1t moments due to missing targets.

You see it’s a non-negotiable for me, bad kicking is bad football.

Of course others may well see it differently.

Most players can kick 55-60m on the run from foot to it hitting the ground. The big penetration 2-3 step guys 60m onto a chest etc are rare as rocking horse s**t.

Players generally have max kicking distance at 18/19 years of age and it stays that way until about 26-27 and then they start to lose distance due to hamstrings, quad reflex etc.
That's probably quite a good distinction - standing vs on the run

I still prefer Hewett over Ginbey and think both he and Busslinger are going to turn out to be the best 2 WA based players from this draft. I know for various reasons Hewetts production has dropped a little this year but when you watch him play his class and game awareness is obvious. I get a lot of Ben Cousins vibes whenever I've seen him play. If his production was up at the same levels of his previous year he would easily be a top 5 pick.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

That's probably quite a good distinction - standing vs on the run

at 19 i could 60+ metre a 2 step kick but the kicking action was horrific. I had to basically swing my leg in an arc. It was like Thomo bowling.

Guy i used to play indoor cricket with was an amazing rugby kick. 50m kick off a step, high as you want and he could get it to bounce anyway you wanted. Pity other than being a brick shithouse he was a horrendous rugby player outside of that.

at 19 i could 60+ metre a 2 step kick but the kicking action was horrific. I had to basically swing my leg in an arc. It was like Thomo bowling.

Guy i used to play indoor cricket with was an amazing rugby kick. 50m kick off a step, high as you want and he could get it to bounce anyway you wanted. Pity other than being a brick shithouse he was a horrendous rugby player outside of that.
During the '15 GF when they showed it at Subi oval (rubbish game but a great afternoon) I had a ping from 50 out.

Fell pitifully short. Had another shot from 40. Would've been a nice soft grab for any small defender - also a behind
I'm just not flexible enough to be an Aussie rules footballer :(

For players who just can't kick it 45+ - is it a technique or a strength thing? Not talking about dudes like X Ellis with his dodgy hammys, I mean prime age footballers

Safe to say none of Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas and Cadman will all be gone by our pick as along with Ashcroft it seems they’re a relatively unanimous top 5.

Means that whilst 3 of the following will be taken before our selection we’ll be able to take 2 of the following:

Busslinger
Ginbey
Hewett
Phillipou
Humphrey
Mackenzie
Clark
Hollands
Jefferson

Whilst posters will have views on which two they’d prefer us to draft, I’m curious as to which, if any, of those people would be disappointed to see on our list

I’ve put Jefferson there because it’s seems likely he’ll be taken by someone in our range, but I expect he’d be the most unlikely selection by us. And the one nobody here would be happy with

Hotton and Hustwaite are two names that also pop up on here in discussion around who we might take but they both feel like we’d be reaching as they’d be a chance to still be there by 20. Hewett, who I suspect we’ll take at 12, is the only one I’ve listed who could slide to 20 and maybe we take that risk

Anyway, who DON’T you want from that group
Now for the optimistic amongst us who think Hewett could last to pick 20, aside from the above mentioned players, we’d need at least 7 of the following to be taken before him ;

Hotton
Hustwaite
Hayes
Konstanty
George
Weddle
Cowan
Keeler
Clarke
Gruzewski
Szybkowski
Burgiel
Random other bolters

If it comes to a choice between Hewett and one of these, who would you pick ahead of him , that would justify taking the chance he might still be there at 20

*I’m ignoring father son selections for this exercise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

During the '15 GF when they showed it at Subi oval (rubbish game but a great afternoon) I had a ping from 50 out.

Fell pitifully short. Had another shot from 40. Would've been a nice soft grab for any small defender - also a behind
I'm just not flexible enough to be an Aussie rules footballer :(

For players who just can't kick it 45+ - is it a technique or a strength thing? Not talking about dudes like X Ellis with his dodgy hammys, I mean prime age footballers

Technique and timing. It's why Jetta could kick 55+ metres onto the tit of a running player from 1-2 steps even just before retirement. It's also why when people say to me but once the player adds more muscle their kicking distance will improve annoys me. Flexibility from the hip flexor all the way to the foot is also very important.

His kicking is a long way off afl standard,
everything else about his game I really like, if he was a half decent kick I could make an allowance, but his kicking IMO is so bad it a red flag.

Maybe I am just real unlucky, but every game I watched him play, had to many oh sh1t moments due to missing targets.

You see it’s a non-negotiable for me, bad kicking is bad football.

Of course others may well see it differently.
Reminds me a lot of Flanders (Gold Coast) Has the hustle and bustle but kicking is always a bit off. Unless you can be that really physical inside midfielder who dumps it on the boot then its a severe weakness (especially as a fwd).

Technique and timing. It's why Jetta could kick 55+ metres onto the tit of a running player from 1-2 steps even just before retirement. It's also why when people say to me but once the player adds more muscle their kicking distance will improve annoys me. Flexibility from the hip flexor all the way to the foot is also very important.
You can probably get an extra 5m in your kick at best with extra weights and going into a elite football program. Id say a lot of draftees have already been in decent development programs anyway so there's less growth there than expected.

However i'd say when hitting the target (rather than just trying to explode a footy) most of the time you're going at less than your max distance- 90% or something to keep that control.

Now for the optimistic amongst us who think Hewett could last to pick 20, aside from the above mentioned players, we’d need at least 7 of the following to be taken before him ;

Hotton
Hustwaite
Hayes
Konstanty
George
Weddle
Cowan
Keeler
Clarke
Gruzewski
Szybkowski
Burgiel
Random other bolters

If it comes to a choice between Hewett and one of these, who would you pick ahead of him , that would justify taking the chance he might still be there at 20

*I’m ignoring father son selections for this exercise

Hewett will not get to 20 imo, unless he’s sitting there telling clubs he is only interested in staying in WA - which I can’t imagine he’d do if we tell him we don’t want him at 8 or 12 lol.

Hewett will go in the 10-16 range

I’d look at sending 12 and 26 to Sydney for 14 and 17 though, Hewett should definitely still be there at that point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back