List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we make calls on the rookie list after the main draft?

Like if we're keen on player x, and he doesn't get picked in the main draft, can we then delist a Trew in anticipation of taking player x in the rookie draft? Or decide to keep Trew for another year if player x gets snapped up in the main draft?

Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Can West or Trew be delisted then re-rookied?

Yes

Can we make calls on the rookie list after the main draft?

Like if we're keen on player x, and he doesn't get picked in the main draft, can we then delist a Trew in anticipation of taking player x in the rookie draft? Or decide to keep Trew for another year if player x gets snapped up in the main draft?

Any delistings would have to be made prior to the draft and my understanding is they’ll need to be made next week

As of Tuesday, any player who hasn’t signed a new contract for 2023, is officially unemployed as contracts run to 31/10

Any player we delist can be added back through the rookie draft if another club doesn’t pick them up and we have a spot available

Yes

Any delistings would have to be made prior to the draft and my understanding is they’ll need to be made next week

As of Tuesday, any player who hasn’t signed a new contract for 2023, is officially unemployed as contracts run to 31/10

Any player we delist can be added back through the rookie draft if another club doesn’t pick them up and we have a spot available

I thought we had until the 1st of December 2022 to delist players of our list ?

TWOMEY: In-demand powerful mids dominate draft crop

Powerful midfielders. Sounds good. I guess we get whichever slips to 8.
But I’d be happy with most of the players mentioned.
One of Tsatas, Mackenzie or Clark a realistic chance at 9
Then Hewett, Humphrey, Ginbey, Poo at 13
Any combination of those I’d be ok with

And one at least will.

Cadman will go pick 1.

Ashcroft 2 (yes pushing back other picks.

Sheezel will go top 5, likely pick 4.

That leaves Wardlaw, Clark, Humphrey, Hewett, McKenzie, Phillapou, Ginbey and Tsatas. 8 highly rated mids falling somewhere inside the top 11 unless someone goes early on Busslinger.

Wardlaw likely to North, will not make it past Essendon.

So one of Clark, McKenzie, Phillapou, Ginbey, Humphrey, Hewett or Ginbey will be there at 9. Id be happy with any bar Humphrey.

TWOMEY: In-demand powerful mids dominate draft crop

Powerful midfielders. Sounds good. I guess we get whichever slips to 8.
But I’d be happy with most of the players mentioned.
One of Tsatas, Mackenzie or Clark a realistic chance at 9
Then Hewett, Humphrey, Ginbey, Poo at 13
Any combination of those I’d be ok with
I'd imagine that Humphrey, Phillipou & Ginbey would only be available at 9, unless we get lucky and some of the teams reach for a player expected to be taken later.

I think we have a real problem when all the highest rated Vic metro kids are actively telling interstate clubs that they are not leaving Melbourne. The AFL has done nothing about the kids in previous years who have done this and until they do you will see more and more of it in the future as the kids know it works and they don't get penalised for it.

At this point you may as well have a regional draft like in the AFLW and have kids nominate what region they want to be drafted in.

For a national competition this situation is a Joke.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I thought we had until the 1st of December 2022 to delist players of our list ?
The AFL used to publicise list lodgement deadlines but I can’t find any for this year. So they either don’t have those deadlines anymore or aren’t publicly listing them

That said

If we haven’t delisted them before the main draft/rookie draft we can’t select anyone in their place as they’d effectively still be on our list as such

The next DFA signing period starts on Thursday and it’d be a bit of a dick move not to delist them prior to then as it blocks them from moving clubs if someone else is interested. Neither can they nominate for the draft if they haven’t been delisted

The AFL used to publicise list lodgement deadlines but I can’t find any for this year. So they either don’t have those deadlines anymore or aren’t publicly listing them

That said

If we haven’t delisted them before the main draft/rookie draft we can’t select anyone in their place as they’d effectively still be on our list as such

The next DFA signing period starts on Thursday and it’d be a bit of a dick move not to delist them prior to then as it blocks them from moving clubs if someone else is interested. Neither can they nominate for the draft if they haven’t been delisted
This one?

So we've got one more month to go of melts over hypotheticals, followed by 12 - 18 hours of melts over what we actually do, then 3 - 4 months of "you know the more I think about it, we nailed the draft, all 150 gamers at least", then 6 months of "why aren't we playing them?" before people call for them to be delisted so we can pick more players in the next draft and the cycle starts again.
This is literally why big footy exists 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of the season over several games he started getting 30 plus posessions in the WAFL playing as a mid. He is a mid, not a small forward.

We dont know if he will make it but he is improving. We know Hurn has one year left in him.

End of the day if Hurn or West plays on the main list it likely means we dont draft a project player in the main draft. A player like Broadbent or possibly Dewar will be lost to Freo with a late pick.

Just delist West and rookie him. If another team grabs him he gets a better deal.

Out of respect for Hurn I would not rookie list him. There are others who can do that.

Reported yesterday that some feel this draft will have the lowest take up ever. Possibly only 45 selections in the main draft.
West is already on the rookie list ? Even if we gave him an extension it should be to stay on the rookie list longer .

Jarmain Jones has to be upgraded after spending 3 years on the list but his upgrade is basically cancelled out by sheps premature retirement.

Main list spots will have opened up from JK redden rioli langdon and winder . So 5 spots

Rookie list is a bit tricky as we added and delisted pre season draftees naish dixon joyce and stradnica. All gone . Culley mid season rookie draft

Jones upgraded

culley and west stay on leaving 2 rookie spots

Trew may have to wait until after the draft . Maybe we don't like anyone in the 2nd round of the rookie draft .

Saying that I would rather give winder a rookie life line than trew

I think we have a real problem when all the highest rated Vic metro kids are actively telling interstate clubs that they are not leaving Melbourne. The AFL has done nothing about the kids in previous years who have done this and until they do you will see more and more of it in the future as the kids know it works and they don't get penalised for it.

At this point you may as well have a regional draft like in the AFLW and have kids nominate what region they want to be drafted in.

It shouldnt matter what they say.

Draft them, back your club in that they will sign on. And if they dont, ask for the three first rounders and then land on two with a hope of a KPF being from WA being steak knives.

Smith at 26 under whelming! Please elaborate on why. Fine to have a differing view but more interested as to your reasoning

Question - did you see any of his games live in the back end of the season?

I'm not sure if the info is correct as i'm not and won't get fed any WCE info but in multiple years past we have committed to a specific player with our last national draft pick well before the draft.

Even other picks on the proviso the player is available.

What pisses me off the most is you just know in the future when a highly rated WA talent does the same thing and we (or freo) have a top 5 pick, the AFL will step in.

Chad Wingard did the same thing bout 10 years ago to stay in South Australia but it only affected gws and not a "big vic team" so afl didn't care

Not linking this because it’s relevant to us (although it does hint we might bid on Fletcher with pick 12) but this bit caught my attention :

“With his dad clearing the 100-game qualification threshold, Fletcher would’ve been eligible to be drafted by Brisbane as a father-son selection. But as Fletcher has been part of the club’s Academy for around six years, he doesn’t have to officially nominate as a father-son prospect before Wednesday‘s deadline.”

So Fletcher doesn’t have to nominate as a father/son because he qualifies as an academy player. So if Fletcher had played 8 less games for Brisbane (he played 107) they would still have first dibs on the son of a 200 game AFL player because of the academy

I guess there must have been some danger Jaspa would play rugby league. FFS

Any thoughts on Harry Cole? I was told he was a member of our NGA but have no idea how true that is as I haven't heard it anywhere else.

I asked Monocle about Cole 4 months ago. This was the response I got then. :)
I'm not sure if things may have changed in that time though?

Hope that helps mate.

1667179558958.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back