Opinion Collingwood Almanac 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Fasolo and Elliot are above average players and by no means stars. They are also very similar players to each other. I'm all for giving up an above average player to help us get a player who might be in the top 10 in the AFL. His injury is a risk but sometimes you've got to take them imo.
You do know JOM hasn't played for two years?
Giving up Reid, Fasolo, Elliot?
That's different that's for sure. Not sure you'll get a lot of support. More sure Derek and team would not make those trades.

Elliott and Fasolo B-graders? I can't see too many agreeing there unless you're deeming their bodies to be past it.

The best way to piss off almost the entire junior supporter base would be to trade Elliott . I know it may not be a priority in the cold light of day but I don't think I have seen a player more universally adored by the kids.
Elliot is vital
Get him healthy, wow, we will jump ladder spots.
Elliot, Moore, Fasolo that's gold right there.

And he's catnip to the ladies too

You do know JOM hasn't played for two years?
Giving up Reid, Fasolo, Elliot?
That's different that's for sure. Not sure you'll get a lot of support. More sure Derek and team would not make those trades.
not all of them, hopefully just one plus a lesser player or pick. In order of preference - Elliot, Fasolo, Reid. Obviously with O'Meara we get the medical advice but if its solid we should go for it imo, he's a gun.

not all of them, hopefully just one plus a lesser player or pick. In order of preference - Elliot, Fasolo, Reid. Obviously with O'Meara we get the medical advice but if its solid we should go for it imo, he's a gun.
Gun he is, alas, unloaded, no bullets in those knees, just blanks, alas :(

I think it is unlikely it is a clear medical report on JOM. But if so, you proceed with caution. I don't think you do it at the expense of Reid. It would need to be something else.

Reid is the premier key defender as others have mentioned. Even carrying injury this year he been exceptional and one of our best for the season. Brown is that next best.

Frost is adequate but an outside best 22 player for me and not someone I'd pair with Brown if it can be helped.

Frost I rate ahead of Keeffe, given Keeffe has sat out for two years. Keeffe is a wildcard. Who knows what he can do? He has height. Reads the flight well. Skills are fairly good. But those two years out of the game. I'm not at all confident in him, and view him more as a bonus than anything.

O'Meara I'm not super keen on. Before he did his knees, I would have said bring him on!

But two ACL's. Has degenerative patella tendons in both knees and battling bad knee tendinitis since the start 2014.

I don't want Collingwood investing in that.

He'd be a clear best 22 player and slot straight into the clubs midfield and also rotate forward and offer some scoreboard impact. He has explosiveness, ball winning ability and good skills. But I'm just not confident enough given our poor history with injury prevention and inability to keep our players healthy or productive long term that he would be a wise player to make a move for.

O'Meara is worth a first round selection and a pick around 10. I'd just let another club spend up. The talk at the moment is he is likely to go to Essendon (either via trade or the preseason draft), so that will be interesting to watch.

As above. Not all that interested and for the above reasons don't believe he is worth the risk - with the risk too great for the price that would be paid in picks/players and probably also salary cap hit relative to what he likely will offer.

Gold Coast wanting to improve will most likely want a player who projects to become one of their best, or otherwise an exceptional pick or two to get him. Jordan De Goey or Sidebottom would be roughly what Gold Coast would be asking for with their greatest need being for a quality midfielder.

Overall I see any deal for O'Meara a losing one with the pieces given up to exceed the return O'Meara will offer. I'd pass.

Sounds like Cloke as good as gone now that he has officially requested a trade.

Given this the best trade move would be to move him for a 2017 first round choice. The Dogs will likely continue rising up the ladder next season given their strong nucleus and horror run with injury this season, and probably finish top 4 which may still be good enough to land one of next years good forwards. Thomas Boyd would be even better and is someone I'd enquire about in some kind of deal involving Cloke, though I fully expect them to retain Boyd.

The talk at the moment is a deal of Cloke will be some variation on Cloke for Jong. Not rating Jong as more than depth, it's not a deal I'm interested in.

I agree with you about the draft strategy for next year. It appears early days like an unusually good draft for key position players, so forward and back we need to go shopping with Moore the only young key position player on our list who is a long term piece.

Elliott is the more interesting name of those, with his injury issues almost as concerning as O'Meara's in some respects. And Elliott comes with a profile arguably disproportionate with what he has achieved on the field.

Reid also with his constant injuries also interesting, though you'd completely be conceding any winning chances in the immediate future which I'm not a fan of, with the effect deflating on a playing group.

Gold Coast would probably ask for Elliott or Reid AND a good midfielders - Crisp or Greenwood would be about Collingwood's best case scenarios from a currency given up perspective.

If I'm playing a stockmarket style fantasy trading game, Elliott and Reid would be two I'd be favouring moving under the same logic you're considering here.

Again though, I'd pass on those deals for O'Meara, with my confidence in O'Meara lacking.

I'd rather Brent Harvey on a two year deal to O'Meara. Harvey with his skills, decision making, speed, leadership, work ethic and example, durability and everything he can teach the high performance and medical contractors about keeping guys improving, productive and durable long term.
Just on Jaegers knee KM, pretty sure he's never done an ACL. He ruptured his patella tendon, which is a far more serious injury, much harder to recover from.

Just on Jaegers knee KM, pretty sure he's never done an ACL. He ruptured his patella tendon, which is a far more serious injury, much harder to recover from.

Apologies if it's not an ACL. I knew it was knees without following it so closely. Just assumed given the duration..

In any case I understand the severity of O'Meara's injuries are substantial.

Seems we have a few names who want out but im not hearing any who want in

Jong, Kersten, Ed Langdon, Tomlinson, Hoskin-Elliott and Marchbank are among the names I've heard connected to Collingwood.

I'd trade Fasolo and Witts for O'Meara if it gets the deal done. Not too much more- perhaps a late pick swap.

If not, perhaps working a Ben Lennon package into a three way may work

don't mind ben lennon thoughts

I don't mind Lennon although he hasn't been the star many predicted. That could be because of the system he plays under which is probably why he wants out.
What are your thoughts on Lennon KM?

What about this scenario?
  • Cloke and Witts to the Dogs
  • Dogs send their 1st and 3rd rounders to Richmond
  • Collingwood and WB exhange 2nd rounders
  • Collingwood get Hrovat and Lennon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind Lennon although he hasn't been the star many predicted. That could be because of the system he plays under which is probably why he wants out.
What are your thoughts on Lennon KM?

What about this scenario?
  • Cloke and Witts to the Dogs
  • Dogs send their 1st and 3rd rounders to Richmond
  • Collingwood and WB exhange 2nd rounders
  • Collingwood get Hrovat and Lennon
don't think lennon being given much of a chance over there. he is one of only a couple
players Richmond have that l like and think that could make us better long term

Hey KM,
Was just wondering whether you would be interested in Ben Lennon and Marchbank from Collingwood's perspective. Also judging on your phantom draft/guide this year, the 2016 draft crop severely lacks KPF/KPD talents and even if we do somehow get Dog's first rounder (pick 12), there won't be an appropriate KPF/KPD to justify the pick right?

[QUOTE="Knightmare, .

Sounds like Cloke as good as gone now that he has officially requested a trade.

Given this the best trade move would be to move him for a 2017 first round choice. The Dogs will likely continue rising up the ladder next season given their strong nucleus and horror run with injury this season, and probably finish top 4 which may still be good enough to land one of next years good forwards. Thomas Boyd would be even better and is someone I'd enquire about in some kind of deal involving Cloke, though I fully expect them to retain Boyd.

Cloke,Witts and Frost would satisfy a lot of their list needs and might get that deal done.

I'd rather Brent Harvey on a two year deal to O'Meara. Harvey with his skills, decision making, speed, leadership, work ethic and example, durability and everything he can teach the high performance and medical contractors about keeping guys improving, productive and durable long term.[/QUOT

Agree 101%. Offer Harvey $600 k a year for two years,which is 3 times more than the Roos have been paying him over the last 2 years, cheap for a player ranked 24 by the AFL.

Your negality posts are a great way to start the day - thanks.:rolleyes:

By the way it's not a typo, I've created a couple of new words given you're a reality poster.
You are in the negality bracket and others are in the posality bracket.

don't mind ben lennon thoughts
Spoken with one of junior coaches, absolute gun junior.
To be fair unsure we've seen him raise to those levels in afl.
Two minds if new environment he'd go up levels....

Spoken with one of junior coaches, absolute gun junior.
To be fair unsure we've seen him raise to those levels in afl.
Two minds if new environment he'd go up levels....
you don't loose talent over night, the mistake Richmond made was dropping him in the final
a coach and a team that believe in you can do wonders for your levels

[QUOTE="Knightmare,

I'd rather Brent Harvey on a two year deal to O'Meara. Harvey with his skills, decision making, speed, leadership, work ethic and example, durability and everything he can teach the high performance and medical contractors about keeping guys improving, productive and durable long term.[/QUOT

Agree 101%. Offer Harvey $600 k a year for two years,which is 3 times more than the Roos have been paying him over the last 2 years, cheap for a player ranked 24 by the AFL.
I really like Harvey too.
Only difference being with you, I'd offer 300 k range, nobody else interested we'd get him cheap and I'd offer one year rolling contract.
Why pay double when there may be no need.

Brent I can see, getting any sort of job for 300 k, so he'd take it I'd suggest

Kappa needs a Prozac sprinkled freddo frog. If we weren't a destination club why would aish, Howe and treloar come here last year?
Kappa isn't exactly the motivation squad. But he offers a differing perspective.
I'm still trying to place his avatar?

We aren't a destination club anymore, that's what happens to clubs who don't play finals for multiple years.
If you offer dollars the destination is easy enough.
Besides Treloar, Howe, Aish all seem to want to destiny themselves here.
Scharenberg stayed not gone to SA.
Not sure your correct on that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Collingwood Almanac 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back