Opinion Collingwood Almanac 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd trade Fasolo and Witts for O'Meara if it gets the deal done. Not too much more- perhaps a late pick swap.

If not, perhaps working a Ben Lennon package into a three way may work

Gold Coast I don't expect would agree to that deal and would want a higher level player in exchange for O'Meara, or otherwise they'd settle picks from a team with more to offer.

On Collingwood's end, I'm just not all that enthustiastic about dealing for O'Meara. Fasolo and Witts I'd sleep on if Gold Coast were to make that offer, but even then I'd be feeling like not making that move.

don't mind ben lennon thoughts

Don't rate and didn't rate in his draft year. Able leadup forward but has never been dominant or shown anything that made me feel like he'd be particularly impactful at AFL level.

This year only the 6 goals from 8 VFL games. Only the one game featuring in the bests. Has in three seasons had no impact at AFL level.

Another case of a player I'd let another club trade into. Certainly not a best 22 player as someone who doesn't win enough of the contested footy (5 contested/30 uncontested possessions) this year from his three AFL games is not what I'd be after in a recruit. Being so uncontested rarely translates to successful AFL play and Lennon in my view is unlikely to make the grade.

I don't mind Lennon although he hasn't been the star many predicted. That could be because of the system he plays under which is probably why he wants out.
What are your thoughts on Lennon KM?

What about this scenario?
  • Cloke and Witts to the Dogs
  • Dogs send their 1st and 3rd rounders to Richmond
  • Collingwood and WB exhange 2nd rounders
  • Collingwood get Hrovat and Lennon

This offseason will be an upsetting one as a Pies fan.

Losing Cloke and probably Witts also via trade is uncomfortable. I rate them both much more highly than their current trades values would be on the open market.

By contast, the names being linked to Collingwood on the other side of things are completely unappealing.

Hrovat and Lennon as the names you mention in this potential trade scenario are both in my view depth players and would struggle to get any games or have any future on the clubs list. The midfield is too deep to accommodate Hrovat and Lennon doesn't fill a list need and is another surplus player with the club having so many marking medium forwards already.

Hey KM,
Was just wondering whether you would be interested in Ben Lennon and Marchbank from Collingwood's perspective. Also judging on your phantom draft/guide this year, the 2016 draft crop severely lacks KPF/KPD talents and even if we do somehow get Dog's first rounder (pick 12), there won't be an appropriate KPF/KPD to justify the pick right?

No interest in Lennon myself.

Marchbank I view as having AFL talent. I just feel with the demand from AFL clubs (5-6 Victorian clubs have expressed interst) that I'd wait on another key defender through another avenue, probably at another time.

This year pick 12 is not a position that a key position player can be gained. There will be Todd Marshall (key forward) who probably features around five, and may push higher with a strong finals series.

Then the other KPPs come into the mix more in the second round with Joshua Battle the next better option as a well performed key forward.

With a lack of KPPs or outside players of quality in this draft, it's not a draft that Collingwood need to feel any need to trade into.

They just have to avoid duds during trade week in any proposed deals considered for our players.

[QUOTE="Knightmare, .

Sounds like Cloke as good as gone now that he has officially requested a trade.

Given this the best trade move would be to move him for a 2017 first round choice. The Dogs will likely continue rising up the ladder next season given their strong nucleus and horror run with injury this season, and probably finish top 4 which may still be good enough to land one of next years good forwards. Thomas Boyd would be even better and is someone I'd enquire about in some kind of deal involving Cloke, though I fully expect them to retain Boyd.

Cloke,Witts and Frost would satisfy a lot of their list needs and might get that deal done.

I'd rather Brent Harvey on a two year deal to O'Meara. Harvey with his skills, decision making, speed, leadership, work ethic and example, durability and everything he can teach the high performance and medical contractors about keeping guys improving, productive and durable long term.[/QUOT

Agree 101%. Offer Harvey $600 k a year for two years,which is 3 times more than the Roos have been paying him over the last 2 years, cheap for a player ranked 24 by the AFL.

I'd make a point of offering Harvey more than anyone else and $600k (or anything nearing that figure) I don't view as outrageous on a two year deal given his durability, leadership and game which offers exactly what is presently lacking on the clubs list. His skills, decision making, pace. We need everything he offers.

I'd make a point of offering Harvey more than anyone else and $600k (or anything nearing that figure) I don't view as outrageous on a two year deal given his durability, leadership and game which offers exactly what is presently lacking on the clubs list. His skills, decision making, pace. We need everything he offers.

Could not agree more. We've been crying out for crumbing forward since the Krak days - I think it would be $600k well spent. Plus he has IP on North who would be a rival for a finals spot.

My only concern is that I don't think Bucks would do this deal. Bucks clearly doesn't tolerate dissenting voices and Boomer (rightly) wouldn't hold back. Unless he has an MM 2010 epiphany and decides to recruit for survival.

Could not agree more. We've been crying out for crumbing forward since the Krak days - I think it would be $600k well spent. Plus he has IP on North who would be a rival for a finals spot.

My only concern is that I don't think Bucks would do this deal. Bucks clearly doesn't tolerate dissenting voices and Boomer (rightly) wouldn't hold back. Unless he has an MM 2010 epiphany and decides to recruit for survival.

If Nathan or any coach can't handle/accept Boomer's voice then they are not fit to coach an AFL club.

It seems outrageous to pay 600k to Harvey, but if we are to use our salary cap to get to our 95% of TPP, and then free it up again quickly for a play at a free agent or big fish in 2017 this isn't a terrible way to do it. I'd only offer big coin in the first year though. Lynch is who I'd target in 2017 and I'd be laying the ground work now.

It seems outrageous to pay 600k to Harvey, but if we are to use our salary cap to get to our 95% of TPP, and then free it up again quickly for a play at a free agent or big fish in 2017 this isn't a terrible way to do it. I'd only offer big coin in the first year though. Lynch is who I'd target in 2017 and I'd be laying the ground work now.

Tom Lynch looks set to captain Gold Coast over the coming years.

Best key forward in the game and an ideal target and someone you enquire about because he is as great as he is.

Just can't see him leaving.

Front loaded contract I agree is the way to go with Harvey. Keep the salary cap space open for 2017 while the club shed players this year, as they seem determined to do this offseason.

If Nathan or any coach can't handle/accept Boomer's voice then they are not fit to coach an AFL club.
Anyone you suggest we go for via the draft who has Boomer's crumbing skills and smarts? Can be either in the TAC or in state leagues. (apologies if you've mentioned this earlier)

Anyone you suggest we go for via the draft who has Boomer's crumbing skills and smarts? Can be either in the TAC or in state leagues. (apologies if you've mentioned this earlier)

I've gone into trade and draft recommendations on page 1.

Dan Allsop is my guy as a crumber. Probably there as a rookie. Cleanest player in the draft. Quick, pressures well. Inconsistent finisher but feels like he can go off for 5-6 goals in any given game if not watched closely.

Gold Coast I don't expect would agree to that deal and would want a higher level player in exchange for O'Meara, or otherwise they'd settle picks from a team with more to offer.

Wouldn't think it would get it done on its own. Will need a little sweeter but not too much more. I'm just prepared to part with them if necessary.

I've gone into trade and draft recommendations on page 1.

Dan Allsop is my guy as a crumber. Probably there as a rookie. Cleanest player in the draft. Quick, pressures well. Inconsistent finisher but feels like he can go off for 5-6 goals in any given game if not watched closely.
Tall crumber- got on the end of a few when he was at Melbourne Victory

Tall crumber- got on the end of a few when he was at Melbourne Victory
That's solid, rock solid gold.
Literally laughed.
Never thought of that, dan alsop. :) victory player, genius

Hey Knightmare,
Do you think Witts+Cloke is enough for the Bulldogs's pick 12? we could also pay a small proportion of Cloke's salary.

Cheers

Hey Knightmare,
Do you think Witts+Cloke is enough for the Bulldogs's pick 12? we could also pay a small proportion of Cloke's salary.

Cheers

The talk is Cloke nets Collingwood either Jong with the WBD 2nd round selection probably the best pick Collingwood could get for him as a best case scenario, with the talk being their 3rd round pick is what they're more likely to offer in terms of picks.

Witts probably attracts an early second round pick such as Brisbane's.

Overall I would not expect Cloke and Witts to = pick 12. I feel they're both in combination worth more than pick 12, not valuing picks as highly as I do established players (I regard both Cloke and Witts highly - Witts for those not watching VFL has been dominant this past month). In the industry though picks are rated more highly than this, with the perception that it brings new hope to the fans and seemingly recruiting teams who consistently overvalue the value of the players they have high up their draft boards.

Pick 15 or thereabouts would be a best case scenario for Witts and Cloke.

Personally as mentioned previously, I'm not all that excited by Jong. He isn't a good kick and I'm not convinced he is a best 22 player, with his best case scenario being something like Crisp where he surprises and proves an ok piece.

The Dogs are sure to improve again in 2017 (with a young list and presumably less injuries), so getting their 1st round pick for next year is less appealing than this years. Maybe that 2017 1st round pick as a best case scenario is the return we could get from the Dogs for Cloke and Witts.

My feel with the Dogs regarding who they target is while they need a ruckman, they seem intent on adding more an athletic/versatile ruckman rather than a bigger guy such as Witts. Given this, I see it more likely that Witts goes to Brisbane or Richmond for a second round pick with Cloke probably moved for Jong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a subscriber so can't view it.

Would be stoked to get Dal Santo. No games missed. Has played 21 games this season and had over 500 disposals. He hasn't forgotten how to find or use the footy.

Only Pendlebury and Treloar had more disposals this season from Collingwood's list than Dal Santo with Sidebottom the only other 500+ disposal winner this year.

I'd jump at the opportunity to get Dal Santo. Instant best 22 player (and a best 15 player) and a much needed clean ball user.

KM will be happy to see this, although I think Harvey and Petrie would be better options than Dal Santo. (Petrie only if we can't find any decent forward line replacements for Cloke.)

I remain on board for all the above but there is substantial variation on this board in terms of whether we should take one of, both of or neither of Dal Santo or Petrie.

Not a subscriber so can't view it.

Would be stoked to get Dal Santo. No games missed. Has played 21 games this season and had over 500 disposals. He hasn't forgotten how to find or use the footy.

Only Pendlebury and Treloar had more disposals this season from Collingwood's list than Dal Santo with Sidebottom the only other 500+ disposal winner this year.

I'd jump at the opportunity to get Dal Santo. Instant best 22 player (and a best 15 player) and a much needed clean ball user.

That little snippet I quoted is the extent of the Collingwood news in the article. But if you want to read the full thing, slap the link into Google, open up the search result link in Private Window in Firefox and that should get you in.

Knightmare, what's your thoughts on josh green? If witts decides he wants to go to Brisbane, would witts + 3rd round for green + pick 20 work? Also if lions acquire a priority pick, and that pick is traded out.... does that pick count as a 1st round selection? If so, it would be worth targeting that in a potential witts - lions trade...

Knightmare, what's your thoughts on josh green? If witts decides he wants to go to Brisbane, would witts + 3rd round for green + pick 20 work? Also if lions acquire a priority pick, and that pick is traded out.... does that pick count as a 1st round selection? If so, it would be worth targeting that in a potential witts - lions trade...

Green I'd pass on. Scoreboard impact lower than I'd like and doesn't find enough of the footy or take enough marks. He is a capable pressure only forward and can push some through the midfield to win some of his own ball. But ultimately he is not an upgrade on Blair which is why I'd pass.

Can't see Brisbane offering more than this year or next years second round selection for Witts. He is worth either a late first round pick or early second round pick.

If Brisbane receive a compensation pick, it is unclear whether it would be pick 1 or after the first round. They clearly want pick 1, so that will be another interesting storyline to follow. If they get that pick, they're not moving it. If it's a start of second round pick they may consider trading that for Witts.

are you saying 600k a year or over 2?

are you saying 600k a year or over 2?

I'd have no problem with it, if that's what it took to get Harvey to Collingwood.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d2=5&type=A&pid1=3477&pid2=3205&fid1=C&fid2=C

On Blair v Green

Blair gets more of the ball and tackles, Green kicks more goals. I'm guessing its because Blair's spent more time in the middle than Green.

Blair does get more midfield time than Green. As direct an explanation as your guess.

Green can push through the midfield and win the contested ball as with Blair. Just like Blair he doesn't do it to the standard you'd want by position to be someone you'd want in your best 22.

I'd have no problem with it, if that's what it took to get Harvey to Collingwood.

Blair does get more midfield time than Green. As direct an explanation as your guess.

Green can push through the midfield and win the contested ball as with Blair. Just like Blair he doesn't do it to the standard you'd want by position to be someone you'd want in your best 22.

have no problem paying him 600k a year? seriously?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Collingwood Almanac 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back