Opinion Collingwood Almanac 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I think Adams has been extremely underwhelming clearance wise. He wasn't the contested beast I was expecting, and is more of an accumulator, or a weaker Dane Swan in terms of contested ball and without the goal kicking ability. Similar to Caddy, I think his ceiling is an above average B+ midfielder.

He is a good midfielder, but is outclassed by others in the league. Thank god he has developed a second position or else his future as an AFL midfielder does not look promising. I'm under the impression that we severely lost the Shaw deal, or our recruitment strategy had been very inconsistent. As much as I rate De Goey, taking him ahead of Wright/Lever/Durdin/Goddard when we already recruited Freeman, Adams, Crisp, Greenwood doesn't seem wise. It just makes the Shaw deal look even worse as it is proven how easily or cheap it can be to grab a young midfielder of Adams' calibre.
So you're saying that a guy who averages close to 5 clearances a game and 27 possessions a game, while splitting his time this year between midfield and half back has been underwhelming? And that his future as a midfielder doesnt look promising if he couldn't pay another position?

If he was spending more time on the ball instead of having to be thrown in to defence this year it's not unreasonable to think he might have averaged 1-2 more clearances which could push him to top 10 league wide by average. And he's only 23. The notion that his future wouldn't look promising as a mid if he couldn't play another position is laughable.

You seem like the kind of person who just simply cannot tolerate other people's opinions. Quite unfortunate really.
Nice personal dig to evade trying to back up your opinion...

On Adams I think he's going fine as a mid but his influence at half back is overstated. He basically started as the loose man at the back of the square and went straight into the middle afterwards. He's probably get a few more centre clearances if he started there but really he started at half back and would play as an extra mid.

What is Jonty Scharenberg Clearnce Numbers Like?

1, 5, 2, 2, 2, 2 at league level.

2, 3, 3, 4, 2 and 5 in the Reserves.

5 in the SANFL U18 grand final.

Overall only ok. Not outstanding for an inside midfielder.

Using a super conservative estimate, only adding 40 points to his season total (taken from the first Bulldogs game where he had 60 points to half time and then was injured), and adding nothing to the Essendon game or Bulldogs game where he played through injuries that then sidelined him for multiple weeks afterwards, his average bumps up to 100. It's really not a stretch to say he probably would have achieved a 105 average without injuries ruining his year. And as you've already stated, he's still only 23. It's not unreasonable to fully expect him to hit those targets next year barring injury given his consistent improvement year on year since joining Collingwood.

Adam given his age likely remains much the same player. He is a fine component through the midfield and likely averages in the 95-104 range going forward which is fine but not elite/tier 1. Collingwood players after the age of 22 generally slow down and come to a near complete halt by 24. As I've written for a long time, after those initial seasons on the clubs list, we are consistently unable to help players continue to progress with veterans declining prematurely.

In the AFL in 2016, 24 midfielders this year scored above 105 supercoach this season. Adams may reach that mark in a season at some point. But that's in my mind the benchmark when you look through the names in that category.

The difference between the good and great midfielders is great midfielders do it every season to that level or greater.

That's why through the midfield I give credit to Pendlebury and Treloar primary. With Sidebottom in and our of that 105+ group, reaching that mark every second year, he is the next closest with have but just a half notch off.

Adams is a full tier below and likely remains that full tier below. He's not in that same class as certainly our big two in Pendlebury or Treloar and also remains behind the more versatile but still better rounded Sidebottom.

DeGoey who mike123 mentions if I'm to think future, he may be someone who enters this conversation given his age and how high his contested - uncontested possession ratio was in his first season, exactly 50/50 in season one which for me suggests with correct player development potential stardom through the midfield.

Adam given his age likely remains much the same player. He is a fine component through the midfield and likely averages in the 95-104 range going forward which is fine but not elite/tier 1. Collingwood players after the age of 22 generally slow down and come to a near complete halt by 24. As I've written for a long time, after those initial seasons on the clubs list, we are consistently unable to help players continue to progress with veterans declining prematurely.

In the AFL in 2016, 24 midfielders this year scored above 105 supercoach this season. Adams may reach that mark in a season at some point. But that's in my mind the benchmark when you look through the names in that category.

The difference between the good and great midfielders is great midfielders do it every season to that level or greater.

That's why through the midfield I give credit to Pendlebury and Treloar primary. With Sidebottom in and our of that 105+ group, reaching that mark every second year, he is the next closest with have but just a half notch off.

Adams is a full tier below and likely remains that full tier below. He's not in that same class as certainly our big two in Pendlebury or Treloar and also remains behind the more versatile but still better rounded Sidebottom.

DeGoey who mike123 mentions if I'm to think future, he may be someone who enters this conversation given his age and how high his contested - uncontested possession ratio was in his first season, exactly 50/50 in season one which for me suggests with correct player development potential stardom through the midfield.
He'll hit your benchmarks next year and make you look foolish.

He'll hit your benchmarks next year and make you look foolish.

I certainly hope.

Love being surprised by any Pie who exceeds expectation.

Who can you see having a break out year next year KM?

De Goey has the capacity with more time through the midfield to take a big stride forward.

Grundy can take another step along with Moore who if healthy also can.

Scharenberg I'm hopeful will be healthy and playing.

Tom Phillips in year two could become a regular.

Mason Cox should take another step up.

Brayden Maynard can continue to improve.

Rupert Wills may improve further.

Aish can improve incrementally and Hoskin-Elliott may also come good.

--
Overall it's those 1st - 4th year players who improvement will be expected from, for the most part, with Grundy being a ruckman that one exception with ruckmen consistently reaching their best in their mid 20s.

# 65 Collingwood - Brodie Romensky

Romensky is chosen on performance and versatility. Place him through the midfield - inside or outside or off a half-back flank and he'll go to work. What immediately stands out with Romensky is the way he moves through traffic. He glides through and is near impossible to get a hand on. He's also a prolific ball winner both through the midfield and also cleans up well off half-back.

Brodie Romensky
Best position:
Inside midfield/general defence
Height, weight: 189cm, 88kg
Recruited from: Western Jets
Plays like: Jack Macrae
Projected draft range: late/rookie
Rated last month: Unrated
Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Has been on the fringe of many draft boards throughout the season and sneaks into this top 30 as a few others drop down.
Strengths:
- Movement through traffic
- Evasiveness
- Agility
- Wins first possession at stoppages
- Wins a high proportion of possessions in the contest
- Gets to every contest
- Tackling
- Size and strength
- Run and carry
- Intercept marking
- Reading of the flight
- Production
- Excellent both through the midfield and off half back
- Consistency of performance (named in bests 12 of 15 games for Western)
Weaknesses:
- Inconsistent footskills
- Scoreboard impact through midfield limited
- At height could be a greater contested marking threat

*Bid of pick 70 for Brisbane Academy key defender Declan Watson made. Brisbane matched.. Leading to...

Collingwood #70 Brett Eddy
193cm, 93kg, 27 year old key forward.

Bringing back to Collingwood an old favourite, previously playing for Collingwood VFL.

With the departure of Cloke and little faith in Jesse White, Brett Eddy has the capacity to step straight into Collingwood's best 22. He is best mature age key forward in this draft and the most ready to contribute key forward.

74 goals from 20 games this season in the SANFL is a big tally and backing up his 2014 season where he kicked 67 goals from 21 games. He is such a smart key forward and has that Jeremy Cameron-like innate ability to get out the back, regardless of how closely he is being checked for easy goals.

He can transition into the AFL play fine and is an instant best 22 key forward or strong depth depending on the development of Cox.

Knightmare why would we take Brodie Romensky when we already have quite a Few Inside Mids with Suspect Skills?

I rate Romensky inside my top 30 (only remaining player who was inside my top 30, so he was a best available choice) and from a list fit standpoint he provides diversity as one of the few players on our list with the genuine capacity to rotate through the midfield and back half.

The club continue to rave about their kicking coach and how good our players become by foot over the second half of last year, so if they truly believe that strongly that we can improve the kicking of the players we draft then this is a great draft for us.

Absolutely stoked personally with the way the bigfooty phantom draft went from a Collingwood perspective.

I got the five players I had targeted coming into the draft with each of my five selections.
Got the 10th, 25th, 26th, 27th and 32nd rated players on my draft board with picks 30, 46, 52, 65 and 70.

I'll take that value any day of the week. Much improved midfield, including midfielders that can play forward and back respectively. A high quality pure (general *medium forward). A ready to go key forward who is clearly better than White in my calculations. That's a better looking list balance.

All the mids are genuine contested ballers so their games can translate. There is also the right speed mix with Ronke one of the most explosive players in this draft.

It's a group I would love to see added.

30 Willem Drew 188cm, 78kg inside mid
46 Ben Ronke 181cm, 75kg forward /inside mid
52 Lachlan Tiziani 189cm, 82kg forward
65 Brodie Romensky 189cm, 88kg Inside midfield/general defence
70 Brett Eddy193cm, 93kg forward

I'd take that result in the real draft. Really would like Eddy.

I'm semi- romantic about the father sons, I'd like to see the boys at Collingwood but think if taken it will most likely be at the expense of getting the best players. Both could be up against it to male their AFL careers.

I'm semi- romantic about the father sons, I'd like to see the boys at Collingwood but think if taken it will most likely be at the expense of getting the best players. Both could be up against it to male their AFL careers.
My view on Father Sons is just you need to reasonable about the decision. If the player is rated around the pick you take it, otherwise future father sons may be inclined to overlook such opportunities. The recruited players also have the added benefit of being loyal. However, you should never reach for father sons. Not only is it compromising the effectiveness of your picks, but also it may let others think that they can always bid to "force" you to match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you're saying that a guy who averages close to 5 clearances a game and 27 possessions a game, while splitting his time this year between midfield and half back has been underwhelming? And that his future as a midfielder doesnt look promising if he couldn't pay another position?

If he was spending more time on the ball instead of having to be thrown in to defence this year it's not unreasonable to think he might have averaged 1-2 more clearances which could push him to top 10 league wide by average. And he's only 23. The notion that his future wouldn't look promising as a mid if he couldn't play another position is laughable.

Adams is the perfect example of an overrated Collingwood midfielder.

What use are possessions when your disposal is woeful.

How many of Adams clearances are break away from packs and hitting forwards lace out? From memory the vast majority would have to be hacks that go to the opposition just as much as they go to us.

For a mature AFL midfielder he's in the average category.

Really good phantom draft.
Now to see what we actually get.

At least at a minimum we should remember draft players take a few seasons to make it, or bomb.

Adams is the perfect example of an overrated Collingwood midfielder.

What use are possessions when your disposal is woeful.

How many of Adams clearances are break away from packs and hitting forwards lace out? From memory the vast majority would have to be hacks that go to the opposition just as much as they go to us.

For a mature AFL midfielder he's in the average category.
I was Adams' biggest critic the first few years for this reason. His kicking was country footy standard. But surely you saw how much more effective his kicking was this year.. and how effective and important a player he has become for us. He's only just coming into his prime now. Would've won the Copeland if he played a full season. No reason to be negative here Kappa.

Lot's are upset about my non-selection of the father sons, but at the end of the day I could't justify players who I rated outside my top 45 where there were players available still inside my top 30. It's just common sense recruiting with a view towards getting the best available players and ensuring I secure the players I rate.

Fortunately in the drafting community and clubland each of my first four selections others don't rate as highly as I do which just means I could get the players I wanted.

Brown is small and a not a good kick and Daicos is small and also allergic to allergic to the contest, so neither are players I would prioritise even if they do each have their respective. Daicos' skills also while silky at times can also be on/off. So while f/s selections often are successful and outperform their draft position, neither inspire me with great confidence.

The Collingwood recruiters rate both more highly than I do. But that's their call.

My view on Father Sons is just you need to reasonable about the decision. If the player is rated around the pick you take it, otherwise future father sons may be inclined to overlook such opportunities. The recruited players also have the added benefit of being loyal. However, you should never reach for father sons. Not only is it compromising the effectiveness of your picks, but also it may let others think that they can always bid to "force" you to match.

Clubs are usually very reasonable and generally very conservative with regards to bidding on players. Teams don't do it unnecessarily and haven't just to force a club to take them earlier than they should.

It just comes back to with the pick that will be used to secure either, are they the best available player or not? If not, then take the guy who is. If they're the best there? Welcome to Collingwood.

Really good phantom draft.
Now to see what we actually get.

At least at a minimum we should remember draft players take a few seasons to make it, or bomb.

In the above draft I took fairly immediate and ready to go players. Ronke and Tiziani are both top agers. Drew and Romensky are very advanced for their ages (Drew was in bests 14/15 games for North Ballarat Rebels, Romensky 12/15 games).

None of them look likely to struggle as Sier, our first selection from last year has.

I was Adams' biggest critic the first few years for this reason. His kicking was country footy standard. But surely you saw how much more effective his kicking was this year.. and how effective and important a player he has become for us. He's only just coming into his prime now. Would've won the Copeland if he played a full season. No reason to be negative here Kappa.

Adams' kicking is better and now acceptable.

I can't agree on Adams winning the Copeland.

Pendlebury and Treloar were both clearly better with others debatably better.

I hope we look at Eddy, I think he'd be a shrewd selection.

There is quite a bit of interest this year in Eddy.

Port Adelaide are expected to take him if no one else does before them, either late draft or as a rookie. There is believed to be another 1-2 clubs considering him.

In Port's situation Eddy is something like a better Schulz.

For Collingwood, if Moore misses a game, Eddy is very clearly in my mind the replacement and able to replace his impact comfortably.

Eddy also is very suitable to have playing alongside Moore in the front half, and mobile enough along with Moore to allow a Cox to be accommodated in the same front half without feeling too tall.

Losing Cloke, Eddy in our situation is the best possible replacement.

I have concerns that eddy's game will translate to the higher level, but his strengths are smarts and kicking, if he gets his hands on the ball he will be damaging. There is no risk free recruiting, I'm quite keen,
If Port's the major danger of getting they have no picks between 31 -and 85 so 's little risk of them jumping in.

Rather son's not would be nice, but neither a great prospect and I will understand if passed over. Objectively I'm with KM, but the romance keeps tugging away

Have read somewhere Eddy isn't overly interested in playing AFL, so it will be interesting to see what happens with him on draft night.

Why has he nominated for the draft then? You don't have to nominate.

Peter Wright only signed a 1 year contract extension this year to take him until the end of the 2017 season.

He'd have to be someone on our radar come next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Collingwood Almanac 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back