Collingwood List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rusling retired didn't he? That would leave basically no chance of us getting him. We can't take that risk of putting him back on our list because he was injury crippled for the whole of his career at Collingwood. Only if he was 100% good to go and 100% committed to making a footy comeback should we consider him. But we should firstly look at young talent, because we have most spots covered for now so they can be a development project.

Keefe is a 10 year player. He can play both ends and I think he may be a player in the future he will be thrown between ends depending on match-ups. I'm wondering about his rucking ability? Swan said he was similar to Dean Cox. He has the athleticism and just needs time.

Rememebr when Ben Reid started he was underperforming at CHF but has clearly found his niche. Keefe may be a wingman, who knows!
I see keefy more as a Leigh Brown Utility type player for the future

keefe has good potential. as far as recruitment goes were pretty much set for forwards i reckon with some real young quality up there (sidebottom fasolo dawes ect ect, maybe even dick if his fortunes change) also some great young defenders reid toovey young.

i think what we should be doing is going after O'Meara full steam, and be prepared to lose someone like wellingham and more to get him. Getting him will guarentee us continual superstars in the midfield for the next generation. Also somone like him would be needed if we lost thomas/pendles

Um okay if anyone can be bothered, can someone link me to something that explains who the hell this O'meara is??

Not sure what you know/ don't know. But this is the basic run down.

Jaeger O'Meara a top 1-2 talent for the 2012 draft - which will be a super good draft.

Lachie Whitfield is the other top talent for 2012, but the reason why O'Meara gets talked about so much is because he is eligable to go into the GWS minidraft.
Clubs can be a part of it by trading players/picks to GWS for the opportunity to draft a kid born in the first 4 months of '94. GWS can trade 4 of these picks over 2 years so those the year later will be from the first 4 months of '95 who will be eligable for this minidraft.

As for relevance to Collingwood. It would take a SUPER LARGE DEAL to land to kid. Of the Travis Cloke/Scott Pendlebury/Dale Thomas/Ben Reid nature. So naturally it looks unlikely and instead more likely is a deal with one of Gold Coast, Port Adelaide, Melbourne or Adelaide in exchange for some combination of stars, young players, picks or compensation picks.

As for what type of player O'Meara is.
Absolute super athlete. 2.80 over 20m - elite. 14+ beep - excellent. Can take on players like few others. Add this to his clearance ability. Duel sided. Overhead marking good.
Basically he looms as a franchise player for the club who can trade for that no.1 selection in that mini draft.

Knightmare, if the kid is that good then why would GWS be looking to trade him? Or do they have to trade some of the kids they pick up in the minidraft?

It surely wouldn't make sense for Collingwood to trade for him (if it involved one of the players you mentioned) as you say when the club is looking to win multiple premierships over the next 5 years.

They cannot pick the kids in the 'mini-draft': they are for trade only.
The thread on the T/D board explains.

Emma Quayle now thinks they'll only trade two of the picks this year, two next year.

Knightmare, if the kid is that good then why would GWS be looking to trade him? Or do they have to trade some of the kids they pick up in the minidraft?

It surely wouldn't make sense for Collingwood to trade for him (if it involved one of the players you mentioned) as you say when the club is looking to win multiple premierships over the next 5 years.

GWS get to trade the 4 picks over the two years so maybe they trade 2 this year 2 next year or 3 this year and 1 the year after. Will depend on where GWS think they will be able to maximise their value.

The reason why they will be trading the selections is because they themselves cannot use them - the rule is there to help GWS add more established players.

The types of trades I made mention of are the types of trades and probably the only deals GWS would likely take from Collingwood for that no.1 spot - because demand will be very high and every club wants to get in on the O'Meara action.

Collingwood being a premiership contender won't trade a star level player of the calibre I made mention to in my earlier post in an exchange for the kid because naturally it would kill our premiership chances - because the kid can't even be added onto our list till 2012, it's not in our best interests to go hard for that no.1 spot.

Is there anything stopping GWS from simply dealing the first pick in the mini-draft for, say, the 2nd or 3rd pick in the national draft?

Is there anything stopping GWS from simply dealing the first pick in the mini-draft for, say, the 2nd or 3rd pick in the national draft?

Not sure I understand what you mean here mdc.

GWS already have the first 3 selections in the draft so who would they be dealing it to?

Not sure I understand what you mean here mdc.

GWS already have the first 3 selections in the draft so who would they be dealing it to?

I see. Them sure is some mighty fine concessions.

Make it 4th pick in the draft. If O'Meara is a top 2 talent in a superdraft, surely it'd be worthwhile for Port to trade up from a 4th pick in this draft to a top 2 pick in the following one?

Make it 4th pick in the draft. If O'Meara is a top 2 talent in a superdraft, surely it'd be worthwhile for Port to trade up from a 4th pick in this draft to a top 2 pick in the following one?

O'meara is a certainty to go this year in the mini draft- nothing is more certain unless GWS don't do any deals- which I highly doubt.

So for example in Port's case, they can certainly use pick 4 as leverage and trade that as part of something in order to be given access to pick 1 in this year's mini draft to secure O'Meara or whoever they wanted.

Port cannot trade pick 4 this year for say a top 2 pick next year because for starters the draft next year returns to normal and GWS' selection in this year's draft aren't "floating picks"- by that I mean they must be taken this year- they aren't compensatory picks that can be used over a 5yr period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It probably would depend on how highly the Power rate Wingard. The strength of this years top few is right up there with any we've previously seen (Hodge, Ball and Judd aside). So it would be quite understandable if they rated Wingard and O'Meara on par, plus you get the immediate pay off with Wingard without the go home factor.

Basically if the Power see Wingard as being up there with O'Meara then they may look at eliciting a trade to swap pick 3 for pick 4 instead of going after the mini draft pick.

Also there's the chance that if Port got pick 1 in the mini-draft that they may even go for local boys in Kennedy or Grundy before O'Meara, so there's still quite a few permutations.

Pick 4 might only be good enough to get Port the no.2 pick in that mini draft - which likely would be Brodie Grundy - SA ruckman. If they want O'Meara then maybe they have to add a John Butcher into the deal.

Gold Coast might put forward pick 6 + young player (maybe a Daniel Gorringe, Steven May or a similar level young talent might just be enough to move up to that no.1 spot)

Melbourne if they lose Scully could easily put forward their compo pick + 1st rounder along with a young player, perhaps a Cale Morton or similar.

Adelaide could do the same with the compo pick + 1st rounder and maybe a Taylor Walker or similar young player.

So there will be some VERY good offers for that no.1 spot.

If I was Collingwood I'd go for that no.3 selection and go for Jake Stringer which still wouldn't be cheap, but would be a slightly more realistic aim. But no guarantee GWS want to use 3 or the 4 potential concessions this year - though I would given the strength of some of the talent for next years draft that they do use 3 or the 4.

Sure, but are they going to get anything near fair value if they restrict themselves to senior players only? I really doubt it.
I can't see how they'd get value by trading them for picks, either - not this year anyway.
The best they could get in return is pick 4.
For a kid who is expected to be pick 1 in a stronger draft next year that's clearly not value.

I can't see how they'd get value by trading them for picks, either - not this year anyway.
The best they could get in return is pick 4.
For a kid who is expected to be pick 1 in a stronger draft next year that's clearly not value.

Well, Brisbane could offer say Banfield + Pick 5.

Would any team not offering picks come anywhere near matching that offer? I mean, any clubs with really good 21-24 year olds aren't going to be trading them (bird in the hand) and I don't see what GWS could want with older players. Well, I do, but not at the cost of pick 1.

Well, Brisbane could offer say Banfield + Pick 5.

Would any team not offering picks come anywhere near matching that offer? I mean, any clubs with really good 21-24 year olds aren't going to be trading them (bird in the hand) and I don't see what GWS could want with older players. Well, I do, but not at the cost of pick 1.

Brisbane will likely have pick 8.

Remember the drafting system works out so that GWS have selections:
1,2,3,5,7,9,11,13,15 - in the draft proper (in the first round as Gold Coast did).

The mini draft picks (x4 - can be traded for use over a period of 2 years) GWS cannot use for themselves, but instead can trade onto other clubs for assets to aid in their own building process. So on their agenda would be adding: stars, quality young players, draft picks and compensation picks or some combination.

FWIW, GWS have ruled out trading those 17yo picks for other picks.

Not if they can add compo picks + other young and developing players they won't.

Could we do a deal for Vince and then on trade him and Goldy to GWS in a deal for a 17 year old? Perhaps packaged with something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back