Toast Collingwood - the fastest rebuild ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Rebuild, this was never a rebuild, regeneration? Sure.
  • When Wrighty arrived, the list was all sorts of imbalance and severely lacking depth
  • Fly and his panel arrived and then got the best out what was available
  • Recruited over the off season for the type of players needed to suit their style
  • Through development of game and players, and the off season recruiting, now there is depth and list balance.
That is certainly not a rebuild.

Pretty sure we had an absolutely disastrous list when McRae joined and we wouldn’t play finals for close to 10 years. That’s what we were told at least
So pendlebury, sidebottom, Howe, Maynard, moore, Elliot, degoey, adams, mihockek, hosking elliot, crisp, cox…. Might be missing a few… but that’s 12 best 22 still there from your last GF appearance.

A very minor revamp if anything

They're the 5th oldest list in the comp, so not sure it's a 'rebuild' really.

More like they've managed the difficult trick of getting a group of quality kids reaching high AFL standard while the older blokes are still firing.

They honestly remind me a lot of Geelong the last year or two: SDK, Jack Henry, Zuthrie, Close, Holmes, etc developing into Best 22 players while we still had prime Selwood, Dangerfield, Hawkins, Cameron, Duncan, Cuthrie, etc.....

N.Daicos, Ruscoe, Noble, I.Quaynor, McReery, A.Johnson, Ginnivan, Frampton, B.Hill, Kreuger, W.Kelly, Markov, T.Mitchell

Half the ANZAC day team, fairly good to add all those names to the team in last few years.

Good clubs continually turn their list over and fill weaknesses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We really only had the one down year.

I think the rebuild stuff is overblown.
I remember in 2021 when everyone was saying Collingwood had the worst list, they had a long rebuild ahead of them and would be at least half a decade away from playing finals again.

McCrae takes a lot of credit. I don't think they win this flag under Buckley, it's not like their list is star studded on every line, they've been exceptionally managed and extracted everything from their talent and age profile in its prime.

8/23 players today are over 30, next year 9 of them are so it's not exactly a young team, they've struck while the iron was hot which is the single most important thing, take your chance when you are up there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Collingwood - the fastest rebuild ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back